Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Long Distance Telerobotics — Parallax Forums

Long Distance Telerobotics

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2014-05-09 16:13 in Robotics
250 miles over a cellular network: http://www.roboticstrends.com/consumer_education/article/can_an_exoskeleton_control_a_robot_250_miles_away/

OK, a good and noble challenge, but is this really the "nerve-wracking game changer" claimed in the article? IIRC, there are numerous telepresence robots that have been around for a while, and "exoskeletons" (which is really just a user input device) have been used to control many robots & arms, such as NASA's Robonaut. AFAIK, the main challenge for the user is dealing with the time lag in both directions for visual feedback from user input.

There are probably several people on this forum that could achieve this. Heck, I'd bet that Duane Degn could rig this up in a week or two. :)

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2014-05-09 16:13
    Didn't watch it. I wonder if "regular cel network" means voice only? If so I guess that would be a bit different than the telepresence robots I've built that use a cel phone as a hotspot. Distance isn't really relevant, just the quality/speed of the connection. A problem sending data over digital audio is that the speech gets compressed, when data is converted to audio the compression schemes can corrupt the data.