Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What Chip Said — Parallax Forums

What Chip Said

rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
edited 2014-05-11 14:01 in Propeller 2
@#1187
It's looking likely that the main clock could go 250MHz. In that case, 125 MIPS x 16 cogs = 2000 MIPS total.
http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/155132-The-New-16-Cog-512KB-64-analog-I-O-Propeller-Chip/page60

Well before that, Chip said that hub exec would operate at 50% of cog bandwidth....link lost:)

I want what everyone else wants, unless (of course) it interferes with what I really want, in which case, I am against it, unless of course it sells a lot of chips, in which case I am for it, unless it slows down development, in which case, I'm against it, unless the net gain is substantial, in which case I am for it.

In my mind, everything you guys are suggesting is just fine, unless it lowers cog speed, in which case, I'm against it, unless (of course)...

Rich

Comments

• msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,709
    edited 2014-05-07 18:56
    +1 @rjo__

Enjoy!

Mike
  • eldonb46eldonb46 Posts: 70
    edited 2014-05-08 00:52
    rjo__ wrote: »
    @#1187http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/155132-The-New-16-Cog-512KB-64-analog-I-O-Propeller-Chip/page60

Well before that, Chip said that hub exec would operate at 50% of cog bandwidth....link lost:)

I want what everyone else wants, unless (of course) it interferes with what I really want, in which case, I am against it, unless of course it sells a lot of chips, in which case I am for it, unless it slows down development, in which case, I'm against it, unless the net gain is substantial, in which case I am for it.

In my mind, everything you guys are suggesting is just fine, unless it lowers cog speed, in which case, I'm against it, unless (of course)...

Rich

Rich,

I think you are saying "You were against it, before you were for it", but now it sounds like "You were for it, before your were against it" - So now I am lost and really confused also :-)

I have one URL (link) that keeps me sane and up-to-date (with NO frills or long discussions), the link is:

forums.parallax.com/search.php?do=finduser&userid=41126&contenttype=vBForum_Post&showposts=1

It links to Chip's posts, I use it as a Bookmark, for my habitual hourly Quick-Prop-Fix.

Note, you can NOT save the results of the above URL as a Bookmark, it is a one-time search. But, you can save the above URL as a Bookmark.

--
  • JRetSapDoogJRetSapDoog Posts: 954
    edited 2014-05-08 04:34
    rjo__ wrote: »

You're likely thinking of a statement nested within Chip's tentative plan for the new chip.

The 3rd line of the CODE section says: "16 cogs with 2-clock instructions, hub execution at 50% cog speed" (emphasis = underlining added)

Tentative Plan: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/155132-The-New-16-Cog-512KB-64-analog-I-O-Propeller-Chip?p=1260747&viewfull=1#post1260747
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,516
    edited 2014-05-08 10:57
    eldonb46 wrote: »
    Rich,

I think you are saying "You were against it, before you were for it", but now it sounds like "You were for it, before your were against it" - So now I am lost and really confused also :-)

I have one URL (link) that keeps me sane and up-to-date (with NO frills or long discussions), the link is:

forums.parallax.com/search.php?do=finduser&userid=41126&contenttype=vBForum_Post&showposts=1

It links to Chip's posts, I use it as a Bookmark, for my habitual hourly Quick-Prop-Fix.

Note, you can NOT save the results of the above URL as a Bookmark, it is a one-time search. But, you can save the above URL as a Bookmark.

--
    I'm doing the same thing and I notice that it has been a week since Chip has posted anything. I guess he decided to get away from the noise of the forums and concentrate on finishing the new P2. Good plan!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-05-08 11:04
    David Betz wrote: »
    I'm doing the same thing and I notice that it has been a week since Chip has posted anything. I guess he decided to get away from the noise of the forums and concentrate on finishing the new P2. Good plan!

This is correct. We spoke yesterday and it looks like the latest specs are more like 200 MHz/80 MIPS per cog. He's working on finishing the ALU right now and hopes to have an FPGA image in a couple of weeks. I'm discouraging him from visiting the forums and trying to keep distractions away from his field of view right now.

Ken Gracey
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2014-05-08 11:15
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    ...the latest specs are more like 200 MHz/80 MIPS per cog.

I realize that these aren't fixed numbers, of course. But how does one slice 200 MHz to get 80 MIPS? That would be 2.5 clocks/instruction. Maybe it'll only be 160MHz?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,349
    edited 2014-05-08 11:32
    This is correct. We spoke yesterday and it looks like the latest specs are more like 200 MHz/80 MIPS per cog. He's working on finishing the ALU right now and hopes to have an FPGA image in a couple of weeks. I'm discouraging him from visiting the forums and trying to keep distractions away from his field of view right now.

Ken Gracey

I'm very, very glad to hear this!
  • koehlerkoehler Posts: 598
    edited 2014-05-08 12:56
    Rayman wrote: »
    I'm very, very glad to hear this!

So the last week's worth of hand-wringing hasn't distracted Chip, and we may see some form of hubsharing as last discussed then?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,349
    edited 2014-05-08 13:24
    koehler wrote: »
    So the last week's worth of hand-wringing hasn't distracted Chip, and we may see some form of hubsharing as last discussed then?

The first part of that, at least...
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,161
    edited 2014-05-08 16:25
    ... it looks like the latest specs are more like 200 MHz/80 MIPS per cog. He's working on finishing the ALU right now and hopes to have an FPGA image in a couple of weeks.

Those are slightly strange combination numbers ?
    200MHz was the original (respin) target, but 80MIP COGs suggest 160MHz ceiling - which conflicts with the 200MHz ?
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2014-05-08 16:46
    jmg wrote: »
    Those are slightly strange combination numbers ?
    200MHz was the original (respin) target, but 80MIP COGs suggest 160MHz ceiling - which conflicts with the 200MHz ?

Or 240MHz, but that would mean that instructions would be effectively 3 clock cycles, which feels a little odd. ;)
    edited 2014-05-08 16:56
    Seairth wrote: »
    Or 240MHz, but that would mean that instructions would be effectively 3 clock cycles, which feels a little odd. ;)

or, since we are doing odd ;) - maybe 400MHz PLL with /2 for timers to 200MHz and /5 to yield 80 MOP Opcodes. (but I'm not sure that is a practical FPGA number set ?)
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-05-08 22:16
    Seairth wrote: »
    I realize that these aren't fixed numbers, of course. But how does one slice 200 MHz to get 80 MIPS? That would be 2.5 clocks/instruction. Maybe it'll only be 160MHz?

I think this is correct - it must've been 160 MHz.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 3,000
    edited 2014-05-10 23:18
    Just spoke with Chip (since I'm driving down to visit with him and his family tomorrow), and wanted to clear a bit of confusion up on the speeds.

The FPGA version is likely going to run at 160Mhz with 80MIPs for the COGs. The real chip is still going to be 200Mhz with 100MIPs COGs.
    edited 2014-05-10 23:29
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Just spoke with Chip (since I'm driving down to visit with him and his family tomorrow), and wanted to clear a bit of confusion up on the speeds.

The FPGA version is likely going to run at 160Mhz with 80MIPs for the COGs. The real chip is still going to be 200Mhz with 100MIPs COGs.

Sounds good, and what I had guessed would be anticipated at this stage. (ie ASIC still faster than FPGA)
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2014-05-11 02:53
    Good news Ken!

Roy, tell Chip I said hi. ;)
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-05-11 14:01

Ken Gracey

Good plan, but perhaps you should take some inspiration from the vacuum tube days of TV manufacturing. Rumor had it that the design engineers were locked in a room until they came up with a design that used one less tube than the current year's model ;-)