Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SIP Connector Options??? — Parallax Forums

SIP Connector Options???

idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
edited 2014-05-06 15:50 in General Discussion
Hello Everyone

I just received a Propeller Memory Card which has 13 SIP for connection and I am wondering what my possible cable and connector options might possibly be.

For severals years, I have been creating my own cables for SIPs, using Molex type connectors, however this is very time consuming. I am wondering what other types of connectors there are that might speed things up a little. For instance, do they make an SIP connector for IDC ribbon cable? I have searched for them before, but never found anything.

Comments

• TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2014-05-03 16:26
    They certainly make SIP idc connectors for 0.1" pitch cable.

You could also use a 26 way standard IDC (.05" pitch) and block up one row of pins. Effectively every second wire would be active.

Everyone should have some of these:-
    http://www.parallax.com/catalog/cablesconverters/other

They can be used attached (eg 13 SIP) or broken off where you need to rearrange the pin order, or go to different destinations. They're really useful, and there are male-female and male-male versions too
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2014-05-03 16:48
    Tubular

Yea those are nice and I see that Parallax now offers a similar product.
    edited 2014-05-04 03:10
    You're right. I've updated the link. I must shop more thoroughly.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-05-04 21:38
    Pololu sells the pre-crimped wires and a variety of connector housings for them. This makes it really easy to make your own set of custom cables.

Someone on the forum suggested these and now I use them all the time.

I now only purchase female connectors. I add extra long pins if I want to make them male type connectors.
    edited 2014-05-04 22:27
    Duane

Thanks a lot!!!!!! I like it!!!!!!!!!

Not necessarily the perfect solution, but very very close. Okay maybe it is the perfect solution.

I can't even begin to imagine how much time that would have saved me in the past or how much it will save me in the future.
    edited 2014-05-04 22:41
    I agree Duane, those look just great.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2014-05-05 06:55
    You can also find ribbon cables with pre-crimped terminations on eBay. These can be less messy than individual wires. Search for DuPont jumper wires. I have no idea why they call them DuPont, probably the same reason as they say "weld" instead of "solder" and 7 segment LEDs are called "digital tube displays".
    edited 2014-05-05 12:08
    RDL2004

That is also a good tip. It is always nice to have options, especially options that eliminate time consuming labor.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-05-05 12:21
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Pololu sells the pre-crimped wires and a variety of connector housings for them. This makes it really easy to make your own set of custom cables.

Someone on the forum suggested these and now I use them all the time.

I now only purchase female connectors. I add extra long pins if I want to make them male type connectors.

Duaune,

Nice Link!

Bookmarked!

Jim
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2014-05-05 12:27
    I just bought some of these 1x40 Pin Single Row 2.54mm Round Female Headers.

You can break them at the length you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400340721249?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    edited 2014-05-05 12:39
    As previously stated, I am all in favor of eliminating labor intensive tasks, such as creating cables :)

However, out of curiousity and armed with the handy connector link provided by Duane, I performed a search at Mouser for multi-color flat ribbon cables. I was surprised by the varying results.

Depending on the circumstances, I still like the option of creating my own cables, and with the wide array of options available for multi-color cables, in combination with the SIP connectors, a person could create some very nice cables for their projects.

3M has a 10 color repeat for one of their products, with upto 64 conductors.

Brown
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Violet
    Gray
    White
    Black

And then there are others that have some colors grouped, like seen on eBay. Pretty interesting.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-05-05 12:48
    You are all welcome for the Pololu link but I feel like you're thanking the wrong person. I know I had seen them recommended several times here on the forum.

I think the final recommendation which I finally acted on, came from Loopy Byteloose. I had previously seen them recommended by schill. There's some discussion of transparent heat shrink tubing in the last link. If you're not using transparent HST, you should. It's great stuff.
    edited 2014-05-05 13:07
    Duane

Well, I did not see those links, so thank you for passing along the knowledge that others shared with you :)
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2014-05-05 13:37
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    You are all welcome for the Pololu link but I feel like you're thanking the wrong person. I know I had seen them recommended several times here on the forum.

I think the final recommendation which I finally acted on, came from Loopy Byteloose. I had previously seen them recommended by schill. There's some discussion of transparent heat shrink tubing in the last link. If you're not using transparent HST, you should. It's great stuff.

I've used those pins and housings for years - you can also get them at Jameco...

Male pins 145358
    female 100766
    4-pin housings 100803
    8-pin (2x4 )157438
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2014-05-05 13:45
    Those multi conductor flat cables (ribbon cables) have 0.05" spacing. If you use MTA type idc connectors and dual row pin headers on the board you can make some very neat and clean connections.
  • TCTC Posts: 1,019
    edited 2014-05-05 18:53
    I was having trouble finding breadboard jumpers that I liked. So I created my own.
    front.jpg
    back.jpg

They use a standard 10 pin IDC connector and a 10 wire ribbon cable that comes from my DIY prop board. The numbers on the sides are on both sides of the connector. The spacing between the headers is .300". That allows me to have access to 4 of the 5 holes on my breadboard. Adjacent pins are hooked together, on the board. That way I did not have to choose what side of the board I want to use.

And they allow me to unplug the prop from one project, and plug it into another without tearing apart the breadboard.

In case anyone wants a set you can order them from my shared projects at OSHpark. The price for a set of 3 is $2.65USD
    1024 x 577 - 48K
    1024 x 577 - 54K
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-05-05 19:52
    With the colors corresponding to the resistor color code (1-9 = brown-white, and black used for 10 since there is no pin 0) those ribbon cables are great for making adapter cables.
    idbruce wrote: »
    As previously stated, I am all in favor of eliminating labor intensive tasks, such as creating cables :)

However, out of curiousity and armed with the handy connector link provided by Duane, I performed a search at Mouser for multi-color flat ribbon cables. I was surprised by the varying results.

Depending on the circumstances, I still like the option of creating my own cables, and with the wide array of options available for multi-color cables, in combination with the SIP connectors, a person could create some very nice cables for their projects.

3M has a 10 color repeat for one of their products, with upto 64 conductors.

Brown
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Violet
    Gray
    White
    Black

And then there are others that have some colors grouped, like seen on eBay. Pretty interesting.
    edited 2014-05-05 21:05
    kwinn
    With the colors corresponding to the resistor color code (1-9 = brown-white, and black used for 10 since there is no pin 0)

LOL You are correct. Okay so what is the significance of that? In other words, why do you think they arranged their colors to correspond to the resistor color code?
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,704
    edited 2014-05-05 21:25
    idbruce wrote: »
    LOL You are correct. Okay so what is the significance of that? In other words, why do you think they arranged their colors to correspond to the resistor color code?

perhaps to identify the pin number by color? to prevent mistakes. assuming you know the values per color (which I don't without looking them up...)

Enjoy!

Mike
  • TCTC Posts: 1,019
    edited 2014-05-06 15:09
    msrobots wrote: »
    perhaps to identify the pin number by color? to prevent mistakes. assuming you know the values per color (which I don't without looking them up...)

Enjoy!

Mike

I think I will share this with you Mike. My grandfather taught me years ago a little saying to remember the resistor color code. Just take the first letter of each word to get the color

Bad
    Black
    Beer
    Brown
    Rots
    Red
    Our
    Orange
    Young
    Yellow
    Guts
    Green