Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BOE Bot Roaming with IR and general programming question — Parallax Forums

BOE Bot Roaming with IR and general programming question

hoela4075hoela4075 Posts: 16
edited 2014-05-23 08:09 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi! I am new to this forum and new to robotics. I am building my BOE Bot with great success and my Activity Bot is waiting to be built. I have my BOE Bot roaming with IR, but it gets really confused when it gets in a corner. Frantic, one might say. I can avoid most corners by putting different resistors on each IR (1K on one and 2K on the other), but it still gets in trouble.

I tried to drop the RoamingWithWhiskersEscape escape elements into the RoamingWithIR program, doubting that it would work due to the nature of IR detection vs. whiskers. It did not work.

I know nothing about trying to use "counter" commands, which might be an option.

Does anyone have a code that I could try?

Also, is there anyplace a repository of BOE Bot programs for playing around with, things people have developed?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited 2014-05-02 11:23
    Welcome to the Parallax Forums hoela4075!

About getting un-stuck from corners, there's an example program on page 284 (of Robotics with the Boe-Bot v3.0) with code that might be good for incorporating into your roaming program. I'd recommend not using the distance detection component; just use the getting stuck detection code.

There are some extra example programs for the stock kit as well as application that support popular add-ons here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/82013-Stamps-in-Class-quot-Mini-Projects

In addition to that, try pasting this into Google's search field: Boe-Bot site:forums.parallax.com

I like your idea of a repository, maybe a Boe-Bot applications thread. I'll set my watch and we'll see how long it takes for someone to start one. If it's good, maybe we'll make it a sticky (appear at the top of one of the post lists).

Andy
  • hoela4075hoela4075 Posts: 16
    edited 2014-05-02 11:40
    Thanks for the quick reply! Looking forward to trying these out :)
  • hoela4075hoela4075 Posts: 16
    edited 2014-05-22 23:31
    So...after working on several ideas, I ended up putting a third eye (IR sensor) on the BOT and modifying the program (after trying several resistor combinations) and it worked as I hoped! No getting lost in corners now!!! If anyone wants the circuit and programming, let me know. But it is fairly easy to figure out. It was a great test of my ability to modify a breadboard and program. For anyone just starting out, I would advise trying to figure this one out on our own...
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2014-05-23 08:09
    Congrats, hoela4075!!!