Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ERCO sells magazines... and his family approves:) — Parallax Forums

ERCO sells magazines... and his family approves:)

rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
edited 2014-04-20 18:10 in Robotics
I have to say. I haven't purchased a SERVO magazine since I saw something about Parallax that I didn't like.
All of that changed for me when I learnt (right here in this forum) that there was an article by Erco about hacking his $10 TheoBot. So, when my plans called for me to go through Bloomington on my way to Peoria.. I jumped at the chance to go to an actual bookstore and quickly turned to page 52.

There is more in the April edition to warm us up to SERVO again. There is some really fine misinformation about quad-copters (Yes, they mention the Elev-8... and then say that Congress should decide if we can buy one.) And there are some other Parallax friendly articles as well.

I'm not sure that I will buy another copy of SERVO... there are plenty of articles that seem to mention products from every other source other than Parallax... even when Parallax has had very good products in those categories for a very long time.

At least I'm open... next time Erco or Bill has an article, I'll look again:)

Comments

• ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2014-04-11 19:29
    I would think erco's choice publication market would be a magazine named something like Crash and Burn!
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2014-04-11 19:57
    I see Erco as being far more considerate... so that would make it "Crash OR Burn." Always give the reader a choice:)
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2014-04-11 20:23
    rjo__ wrote: »
    I have to say. I haven't purchased a SERVO magazine since I saw something about Parallax that I didn't like.

I'm not sure that I will buy another copy of SERVO... there are plenty of articles that seem to mention products from every other source other than Parallax... even when Parallax has had very good products in those categories for a very long time.

At least I'm open... next time Erco or Bill has an article, I'll look again:)

Erco and Bill have written some excellent articles for SERVO. There have also been many articles from other members like the famous GordonMcComb, vanmunch, microcontrolled, and myself. Possibly others I may have missed. Just because of one bad article by some random person (I believe SERVO heard about the article you mentioned) there are still plenty of excellent topics in them. The last article I wrote for them used a Propeller Quickstart for the main controller in a robot. I finally had a chance to compose a list of the articles I contributed to the magazine and have them up here: http://www.robotworkshop.com/robotweb/?page_id=11

I'm sure you'll see more articles from forum members in the future. If you'd like to see Parallax covered more in the magazine I believe they are still accepting articles and perhaps you'll be the next forum member to write for them!

Robert
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-04-11 20:39
    Whew! That's a relief! I thought maybe Erco was selling bullet cassettes for the likes of Uzis and AK-47s. :) (But I doubt that his family would approve.)

-Phil
    edited 2014-04-12 08:35
    Robert,

Excellent!!!
    edited 2014-04-12 08:40
    Phil,.. I wonder how many people looked at your remark and understood it at first glance:)
  • Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
    edited 2014-04-16 22:48
    Does SERVO have a best hits DVD of its past articles yet?
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2014-04-17 08:03
    Does SERVO have a best hits DVD of its past articles yet?

They sell back issues in PDF form by the year. You can order them from SERVO here:

http://store.servomagazine.com/home.php?cat=264

It would be hard for them to do a generic best hits volume since "best" may mean different things depending on what area of robotic that the reader is interested in.

Robert
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-04-20 18:10
    Late to this thread, I'm still on vacation. SERVO has some fine articles, if you overlook mine. At least it gets a few cute photos of my girls out there. :)

I recommend their staff most highly, very professional and a pleasure to work with. I have found them highly receptive to every article I have submitted to them. IMO most of the robotics projects discussed here might be of interest to them. They pay higher per-page rates than some, so it's a nice way to subsidize your hobby, and it forces you to document your projects properly. Email Robin and pitch your article to her. If more of you smart guys submit, it will help keep the riff raff like me out. :)