Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PMB-648 GPS object in one cog — Parallax Forums

PMB-648 GPS object in one cog

bomberbomber Posts: 297
edited 2014-04-10 20:33 in Accessories
Hi all, I'm working on integrating the PMB-648 into the Eddie robot that I am working on. I originally was going to use a second Prop to interface with any additional electronics that I add, but the Python program running on Eddie's laptop cannot handle a second serial port (under powered CPU on the laptop and very inefficient python code). The default firmware on Eddie's control board uses 7 cogs including the main loop(1 for main loop, 1 for Ping sensors, 3 for motor PID loop and encoders, 1 for ADC, and 1 for UART. The default object for the GPS receiver uses 4 cogs including the main loop (1 for main loop, 1 for serial UART, 1 for managing the flow of serial input data, and one for NMEA decoding), and I was able to narrow that down to 2 cogs and a main loop. My attempts to consolidate further failed for anything less than 2 cogs. Does anyone out there know if there is an object for the PB-648 that can run in one cog and one main loop? I'll keep working on trying to condense the program further, but help would definitely be appreciated!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-04-09 15:27
    A GPS object that uses 4 cogs? Interesting. It does seem like a lot of projects get stopped by lack of cogs due to multiple serial port objects. That's why I use FullDuplexSerial4Port. It runs 4 serial ports from 1 cog. Using it may help you reduce the overall number of cogs being used by serial port drivers.
  • bomberbomber Posts: 297
    edited 2014-04-10 20:33
    Thanks Chris, with a bit of work that did the trick.