Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless Connection without Internet Access — Parallax Forums

Wireless Connection without Internet Access

WolfmanFLWolfmanFL Posts: 1
edited 2014-05-13 23:34 in Accessories
This is probably a silly question, but I am trying to control a series of lights wireless from my ipad using some kind of wireless connection. All the ipad would be sending is information to turn on LED lights in various colors and patterns. I do not have any internet access where I intend to do this and was wondering whether that matters or not. I assume I need some sort of router that all the lights and ipad connect through, but just need to better understand whether what I want to do is possible. The distances would be up to 50 meters so bluetooth is out.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-04-04 15:46
    You could use the new XBee Wi-Fi module. Members have successfully connected the iPad to a Propeller chip via the XBee Wi-Fi and I have done it through the PC using its internal Wi-Fi to talk to a Propeller chip with the XBee Wi-Fi module on it.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2014-04-05 08:40
    @Chris when you do this do you need a router in the mix to act as a go-between in lieu of the internet connection?
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,709
    edited 2014-04-05 22:51
    Franklin,

The WIFI module can do both. With router or Ad hoc..

Enjoy!

Mike
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-04-07 11:07
    Mike is correct. I am using my existing Wi-Fi Router however you can use the modules Ad hoc. Of course, the real benefit and gains from using the Wi-Fi modules is their integration into an existing network. Otherwise you could use 802.15.4 or ZB series XBee Modules.
  • mhobbiesmhobbies Posts: 4
    edited 2014-05-13 23:34
    Yes you should use Wi-Fi modem..