Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A New CNC Build - 3D Printer - El Cheapo - Page 11 — Parallax Forums

A New CNC Build - 3D Printer - El Cheapo

15678911»

Comments

• idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2014-10-24 23:48
    Referring to Post #297, where I linked to the MakerGear hotend instructions.....

In those instructions, they apply a ceramic paste over the nichrome wire. I have not called them to see if I can obtain this paste from them, nor do they offer to sell it online. Finding a substitute for this paste has been a concern of mine for a very long time, that has remained unresolved. Whatever material is used, it must be able to withstand high tempertures. Searching for ceramic paste online or high temp epoxy never yielded any satisfactory results for me.

Besides calling MakerGear and asking for a special order, I think I may have come up with a solution, although I am not sure just yet. I believe the keyword is "ceramic". Instead of purchasing some small vial of paste, I am now thinking about buying a block of ceramic clay to wrap the hot wire bobbin with.

Without knowing too much about ceramics, I think this might work, and it might even work much better than their ceramic paste.

I will have to do a little more research.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2014-10-27 06:37
    i found fireplace cement at menards. it was 5 bucks for a pint. dont know it its exact same stuff but it seems to have similar properties.
    edited 2014-10-27 06:57
    prof_braino

Long time no hear... I hope things are going well.

Thanks for the tip. I am not sure what I am doing just yet, but I think the clay might be a little easier to work with.
  • RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2014-10-29 19:09
    Refractory cement is the term you are looking for. You can find small cans of it at home improvement centers such as Lowes and Home Depot. There are some types that are used for kiln repair that might be suitable.These normally need to be fired at temps used for firing pottery to attain full strength. This would require stainless steel tubing.
    edited 2014-10-29 19:27
    Rick
    This would require stainless steel tubing.

Is this because of the melting point of other metals?
  • RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2014-10-30 14:12
    Is this because of the melting point of other metals?
    Depending on the firing temp, melting or severe oxidation will occur. Obviously those temps will not occur in the extruder. Water glass or Sodium silicate (used in refractory work) when used as an adhesive with ceramic paper or cloth might work (firing would not be required). Look in auto supply stores for exhaust repair tape. Depending on the temp of the nichrome wire, it may work. Back in the 60s I used water glass and asbestos paper to insulate and cover the layers of nichrome wire in a diy soldering iron. Those were the bad old days.

SS tubing
    http://www.componentsupplycompany.com/product_pages/stainless-steel-annealed-tubing.html
  • idbruce posted:
    Many of you are probably aware of the PulseTheStepPin function, and others will not be. Over a period of time, the original function had been changed numerous times to fit my particular needs. When I got to a certain point, and when the push for "Golden" OBEX objects was a goal in the forum, I attempted to create one of these golden objects, but once again the work went unfinished, however it is very close to being finished.

Here is the link i found (03/05/2019) to the post.
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/123946/eagle-drd-file-parsing-engine

The file "StepperDriveErz.zip" is in the third post down.