ozpropdev wrote: »
    Bill,
    Try these changes

after the LOCPTRA #hello_world follow with a ADDPTRA ##$E00

Thanks! Worked like a charm.

Found a better way:

locptra #hello_world+$380
    Also a JMP @ switches to HUB exec and a JMP # switches to COG mode.

I am pretty sure that is not the case... # is absolute address, @ is relative address.

Both forms worked for me, and the print string loop now works in both hub and cog mode.

Even

locptra @hello_world+$380

works!

Looks like Chip forgot to offset the locptra (and probably locptrb) addresses by the hub offset of $E000 in PNut...

I remember that $E00 offset from previous binaries, however I remember reading that Chip got rid of the need for it.

$E00 >> 2 = $380 which can be added at assembly time instead of runtime with an ADDPTRA with an AUGS (saving two longs)

I wonder if the other LOC* instructions?
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2014-03-21 16:45
    I am pretty sure that is not the case... # is absolute address, @ is relative address.

Correct!
    Typing+thinking while eating breakfast is awkward.
    I'm not as good at multi-tasking as the P2! :lol:

Post Edit: Now I remember where I was going with JMP @ and JMP #.
    I have been using the two different types of JMP to distinguish the difference between HUB and COG mode code.
    As PNUT is not colorized yet it helps me tell the difference between to the two modes.
    Hopefully in the final IDE ORGH and ORG will have their own background colors. :)
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-03-21 16:49
    Thinking a bit more...

locptr @hello_world

should not need the +$380 offset, as it is supposed to be a relative offset.

Looks like PNut is not computing the relative address correctly for LOCPTR (and probably all LOC* instructions)
    edited 2014-03-21 16:53
    Thinking a bit more...

locptr @hello_world

should not need the +$380 offset, as it is supposed to be a relative offset.

Looks like PNut is not computing the relative address correctly for LOCPTR (and probably all LOC* instructions)

Hmmm, that might explain a weird bug I'm trying to chase. A BUG in my DEBUGGER! :)
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2014-03-21 18:36
    mindrobots wrote: »
    I was trying to build ozpropdev's test tool and PNUT told me there was no longer an ENCOD instruction! Its not in the latest instruction list and I haven't found its replacement in the blog thread. Anybody know what it became?

Brian, do you have an update for your tool you'd like to share? Please??

Thanks, all!

It's been renamed to BLSIZE, as it's the complement to BLMASK.
    edited 2014-03-21 18:39
    When you do an F10, it just downloads a loader, beginning at $00000 in the image.

If you make a program that used F11 to download, where you must start your program with an ORGH $380, the addresses will be in the proper places.
    edited 2014-03-21 19:56
    Thank you!
    cgracey wrote: »
    When you do an F10, it just downloads a loader, beginning at $00000 in the image.

If you make a program that used F11 to download, where you must start your program with an ORGH $380, the addresses will be in the proper places.
    edited 2014-03-22 07:30
    Hi Chip,

I tried what you suggested, and it did not work. Here is my test program, with comments as to what worked and what did not.
    CON
    		_rx	= 91
    		_tx	= 90
    DAT		
    		org

clkset	#$FF		'set 80MHz
    		setsera	ser_parms, bit_time
    		clrp	#_tx		' Enable _tx pin
    		jmp	@hubexec

ser_parms	long	%10 << 16 + _rx << 9 + %10 << 7 + _tx
    bit_time	long	80_000_000 / 115200
    ch		long	0
    '----------------------------------------------------------------

orgh   $387

hubexec		'locptra #hello_world+$380	' orgh, F10 download works
    		'locptra @hello_world+$380	' orgh, F10 download works - why does this need the $380? Relative addr
    		'locptra #hello_world		' orgh $380, F11 download does not work
    		'locptra @hello_world		' orgh $380, F11 download does not work
    		locptra @hello_world		' orgh $387, F11 download does not work - leaving space for cog code

loop		rdbyte	ch, ptra++ wz
    	if_nz	serouta	ch 
    	if_nz	jmp	#loop

jmp	@hubexec

hello_world	byte	"Hello World!",13,10,0

I'm still looking into it some more.

Idea for the next FPGA image:

If key0 is held down when the reset button is pressed (on the adapter board) the chip resets into the monitor... but does not clear the hub memory

This would allow for post-mortem analysis.

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2014-03-22 08:12
    Bill, you could always run a monitor on another COG too. That's what I do with a second prop plug.

I think Chip fixed the list output from Pnut to work as a copy paste too. If he has, you can also leave the thing running, and use a monitor to upload the image, then launch it with the monitor in another COG.
    edited 2014-03-22 08:23
    Good point, I will have to hook up a second serial port.

Oh! I forgot about the list feature of PNut. Is there a cheat-sheet for all the options, pseoudo-ops and command keys for PNut? I know it is quite powerful, but I have to get to that power :)

Right now I am making the tools... to make tools... to port my earlier P2 code to the new improved P2.

I am looking for something like ".ALIGN 4" that I can stick before BYTE or WORD declarations to make sure they are long aligned (for use with LOC*)

BYTE 0[4-($ mod 4)] or some variation should work. Will test and report.
    potatohead wrote: »
    Bill, you could always run a monitor on another COG too. That's what I do with a second prop plug.

I think Chip fixed the list output from Pnut to work as a copy paste too. If he has, you can also leave the thing running, and use a monitor to upload the image, then launch it with the monitor in another COG.
    edited 2014-03-22 08:24
    CTRL+L

I think those keys are in the menus.

Yeah, early on when I was writing the monitor document, I just left it on and sent code back and forth. Spiffy!
    edited 2014-03-22 08:26
    Thanks!

It complained about lack of a pub, so I added 'pub dummy' at the end of the file.

DUH. I can't belive I missed those keys in the menu!!!! I am getting old.
    CTRL+L

Yeah, early on when I was writing the monitor document, I just left it on and sent code back and forth. Spiffy!
    edited 2014-03-22 08:30
    ...and if he hasn't, you can always edit the list a little. Remember you only need one address line, colons for the others, unless you want to break up data and put it in various places in RAM.
    source text
     [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]1000: E0 06 FC 0C 04 06 3C 0C 03 00 7C 0C 0C 07 00 00 [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] 
     [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]1010: FF FF FF FF FF [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] 
     [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]: 0D 1E 00 00 5B B4 00 00 [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] 
     [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]103A: 11 22 33 44[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
     [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]: 55 [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] 
     [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]: 66 77 88 99 [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] 
     [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]1000: F0[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

paste                       

[COLOR=#000072][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]>[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]1000: E0 06 FC 0C 04 06 3C [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] 
     [COLOR=#000072][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]>[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]1010: FF FF FF FF FF [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] 
     [COLOR=#000072][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]>[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]: 0D 1E 00 00 5B B4 00 00 [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] 
     [COLOR=#000072][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]>[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]103A: 11 22 33 44[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
     [COLOR=#000072][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]>[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]: 55 [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] 
     [COLOR=#000072][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]>[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]: 66 77 88 99 [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] 
     [COLOR=#000072][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]>[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]1000: F0 [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] 
     [COLOR=#000072][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]>[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#127000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=1]1000.104f [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] 

$1000 will contain $F0

And of course, the other thing to do is launch the monitor right away, then let the program run. Either way, you can get to the data after the fact.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-03-22 09:02
    I am looking for something like ".ALIGN 4" that I can stick before BYTE or WORD declarations to make sure they are long aligned (for use with LOC*)

Bill,

Chip used this in his multi-thread example:
                orgw                'align to next wide

There may be similar for word and long alignment?
    edited 2014-03-22 09:42
    potatohead,

Good point!

Rick,

Just tried it. PNut acceps orgw and orgl, however orgl does not force long alignment.

The good news is that if a locptra refers to a non-long aligned label, PNut says so - opening a dialog "Address is not long" so it is easy to manually pad! (Thanks Chip!)
    edited 2014-03-22 13:56
    CTRL+L

Use Ctrl-M for PASM programs. It won't demand a PUB.
    edited 2014-03-22 14:54
    Thanks Chip.

Unfortunately I have to report that either my DE2-115 is defective, or there are some issues with the FPGA image.

Problem #1:

I have to hit F11 twice for the download to work if I do not power cycle the DE2 - by work I mean the LED's showing the hub address

This is 100% repeatable.

Problem #2:

There is something wonky with hubexec or locptra or FPGA emulation state being preserved over prop resets.

LED's are set to getptra result, before send text loop.

Counting longs the string is at long address $393, getptra returns %111001001100 which is correct. CTRL-M listing confirms string is at $E4C ($393)

On a freshly powered up DE2-115, I have a small chance of the code working correctly (defined as "Hello World!" being sent over the serial port)

If the code happens to work, and I re-download again (no changes), it prints garbage.

If I power down the DE2, wait some time, power up, program the same unchanged code, there is maybe a 1:10 chance of it working correctly.

I tried to see if it was the issue Ale reported re/ 6th instruction in hubexec mode, it did not seem to make a difference.

I tried disabling the icache, no difference.

I dropped the clock multiplier to 12 for 60Mhz.

download #1 - no LED's as usual
    download #2 - printed garbage
    download #4 - no LED's
    download #5 - worked @ 60Mhz
    download #6 - no LED's as usual
    download #7 - printed garbage
    download #8 - no LED's as usual
    download #9 - printed garbage
    download #10 - no LED's as usual
    download #11 - printed garbage

powered off for about 30 sec

download #1 - LED's OK, correct output
    download #2 - no LED's as usual
    download #3 - printed garbage

powered off for about 30 sec

download #1 - printed garbage
    download #2 - no LED's as usual
    download #4 - no LED's as usual

Put clock back to 80MHz... problem persists

Test code:
    CON
    		_rx	= 91
    		_tx	= 90
    DAT
    		orgh	$380

start		org

clkset	#$FF		'set 80MHz
    		setsera	ser_parms, bit_time
    		clrp	#_tx		' Enable _tx pin
    		mov	dirb,leds

mov	outb,#1		' if we don't get to another outb, we jumped to never-never land
    		jmp	#hubexec

ser_parms	long	%10 << 16 + _rx << 9 + %10 << 7 + _tx
    bit_time	long	80_000_000 / 115200
    ch		long	0
    leds		long    $FFF

'----------------------------------------------------------------

orgh
    		nop 	
    		nop 
    '		nop
    '		nop
    '		nop
    '		nop

hubexec		locptra #hello_world		' orgh, F10 download works  $38A 

Put 
    '		mov	outb,##hubexec		' $38B/C
    '		mov	outb,##hello_world	
    		getptra	outb
    		nop	

loop		rdbyte	ch, ptra++ wz		' $38D

if_nz	serouta	ch 			' $38E
    	if_nz	jmp	#loop			' $38F

jmp	@hubexec		' $390

hello_world	byte	"Hello World!",13,10,0	' $391

bub		serouta #64
    		jmp	#bub

Everyone: I'd appreciate it if you guys with DE2-115's could replicate the issue.

Update:

I just made a cog-only version. ptra gets the correct hub address, yet garbage is printed.

Could the problem be with the uart?

Update2:

Dropping the baud rate on the p2 to 9600 made no difference.

This problem is officially driving me nuts.
    edited 2014-03-22 16:16
    Update:

I just made a cog-only version. ptra gets the correct hub address, yet garbage is printed.

Could the problem be with the uart?

Update2:

Dropping the baud rate on the p2 to 9600 made no difference.

This problem is officially driving me nuts.

Bill, when you do a JMP #address, you need to do JMP #address>>2, since the JMP needs the top 16 bits of the address, and not the bottom two bits. This is a semantics issue with the assembler that needs some rethinking. One way to avoid this issues is to just do JMP @address. I'm surprised you were getting anything to work, at all.

I just looked at the assembler and I had already made provisions for handling these 16-bit address automatically, so the above was wrong. It should already work.
    edited 2014-03-22 16:26
    potatohead,

Good point!

Rick,

Just tried it. PNut acceps orgw and orgl, however orgl does not force long alignment.

The good news is that if a locptra refers to a non-long aligned label, PNut says so - opening a dialog "Address is not long" so it is easy to manually pad! (Thanks Chip!)

Within a DAT section, you can do a LONG without any data following, in order to pad $00 bytes to the next long address.

You can also do an ORGW to pad to the next wide address, both within a cog section (ORG) and a hub section (ORGH).
    edited 2014-03-22 16:32
    Thanks Chip.

I'll try that; however I thought that jmp/call would do the >>2 when dealing with addresses >512 automagically... I guess I was thinking a bit ahead of the game :)

I was trying both @ / # 16bit hub addresses, in order to eliminate one or the other as being the issue. I just never thought to >>2 ... duh. I'll try it with the >>2 when I am back upstairs

What I don't understand is how it managed to work sometimes!!!

OH!

If all the hub is cleared to 0, and if 0 is effectively a NOP, could it have been running "around" the whole hub?

(I am in my lab right now, working on RoboPi, as wifey is napping - but I moved the DE2 upstairs last nite so I could sneak in some quality P2 time on the weekend, it will be moving back to the lab on Monday)
    Bill, when you do a JMP #address, you need to do JMP #address>>2, since the JMP needs the top 16 bits of the address, and not the bottom two bits. This is a semantics issue with the assembler that needs some rethinking. One way to avoid this issues is to just do JMP @address. I'm surprised you were getting anything to work, at all.
    edited 2014-03-22 16:33
    That's a great way to pad to a LONG.
    Within a DAT section, you can do a LONG without any data following, in order to pad $00 bytes to the next long address.

You can also do an ORGW to pad to the next wide address, both within a cog section (ORG) and a hub section (ORGH).
    edited 2014-03-22 17:28
    Chip,

from the cog code, jmp #hubexec>>2 went off to never never land, while jmp @hubexec and jmp #hubexec went to the right place.

Garbage output most of the time.

I'll put in a bit-banged serial output, if that works, than the issue pretty much has to be in serouta.

If the bit-banged serial does not work, I'll just go to the wall and bang my head against it.
    edited 2014-03-22 17:28
    Everyone: I'd appreciate it if you guys with DE2-115's could replicate the issue.

FYI Bull, I tried your code "as is" on my DE2 and it loads with F11 everytime and "Hello world" transmits OK everytime.
    edited 2014-03-22 17:30
    Did you check the verify box when programming your FPGA Bill?
    edited 2014-03-22 17:53
    Thanks Chip.

I'll try that; however I thought that jmp/call would do the >>2 when dealing with addresses >512 automagically... I guess I was thinking a bit ahead of the game :)

I think you might have figured out the solution.
    edited 2014-03-22 18:16
    Bill,
    I went back to the FPGA Build (6 Feb 2014) and loaded your code.
    Very mixed results this time!
    Using F11 did not work every time. The LEDs worked but serial data was garbage.
    Retrying multiple times worked sometimes, seems random the successful loads.
    The plot thickens...
    Cheers
    Brian
    edited 2014-03-22 18:29
    Did you try it several times in a row?
    FYI Bull, I tried your code "as is" on my DE2 and it loads with F11 everytime and "Hello world" transmits OK everytime.
    edited 2014-03-22 18:30
    Sadly, yes.
    Did you check the verify box when programming your FPGA Bill?
    edited 2014-03-22 18:37
    I think you might have figured out the solution.

I think I have it figured out.

While I cannot discount the possibility that some of my testing issues were due to the issue found by Brian, I found an even more basic issue.

The problem turns out to serialouta being too fast for PropPlugs.

I am not kidding.

Once I got my bit-banged output routine running, attached below, I had the same bad behavior.

Then the proverbial coin dropped, and I came up with a testable theory:

The P2, with serouta AND bitbanged serial output was transmitting bytes back to back, with stop bits right up against start bits!

I added four extra stop bit periods, and it works fine now with the software serial output.

I will test and determine how many stop bits are needed to male the PropPlug happy.

I *STRONGLY* recommend adding variable number of stop bits to serouta/b, or an optional inter-character delay (in bit periods).

Now I'll run some tests to see how many stop bits I need on my specific PropPlug.

Stay tuned...
    edited 2014-03-22 18:45
    I think I have it figured out.

While I cannot discount the possibility that some of my testing issues were due to the issue found by Brian, I found an even more basic issue.

The problem turns out to serialouta being too fast for PropPlugs.

I am not kidding.

Once I got my bit-banged output routine running, attached below, I had the same bad behavior.

Then the proverbial coin dropped, and I came up with a testable theory:

The P2, with serouta AND bitbanged serial output was transmitting bytes back to back, with stop bits right up against start bits!

I added four extra stop bit periods, and it works fine now with the software serial output.

I will test and determine how many stop bits are needed to male the PropPlug happy.

I *STRONGLY* recommend adding variable number of stop bits to serouta/b, or an optional inter-character delay (in bit periods).

Now I'll run some tests to see how many stop bits I need on my specific PropPlug.

Stay tuned...

Bill, I just discovered the same thing by adding a 10 second delay to give me enough time to start PST. :)
    Cheers
    Brian