Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ELEV-8 Super Test Flight with Tarot Gimbal and GoPro Hero3 — Parallax Forums

ELEV-8 Super Test Flight with Tarot Gimbal and GoPro Hero3

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2014-03-17 20:50 in Robotics
A short video of my activity this afternoon:

[video=youtube_share;OSkLKORkYSU]

DSC00433.jpg

Didn't fly FPV with the link but I'll do that on Wednesday, at the same place (if I can escape Parallax for a few hours!).

Ken Gracey
1024 x 1365 - 269K

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-03-16 23:27
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    DSC00433.jpg

Didn't fly FPV with the link but I'll do that on Wednesday, at the same place (if I can escape Parallax for a few hours!).

Ken Gracey

The gimbal mount looks like a sweet addition!

I'll vote for you getting the afternoon off if you can get those DE2 FPGAs "in stock" or better yet, "shipped"! ;)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-03-17 00:04
    Wonderful video, Ken. That's a great job you have there. Are you hiring? :)
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-03-17 15:33
    erco wrote: »
    Wonderful video, Ken. That's a great job you have there. Are you hiring? :)

YES. We need engineers on-site, and lots of them - people who can program, design PCBs, and document our new products. Lately, so many of our staff are oriented around long-term R&D activities with Propeller 2 that few of us are keeping watch over short-term, smaller projects.

There's no formal job posting available at the moment but we really need more engineering right now.

Ken Gracey
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2014-03-17 16:43
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    YES. We need engineers on-site, and lots of them - people who can program, design PCBs, and document our new products. Lately, so many of our staff are oriented around long-term R&D activities with Propeller 2 that few of us are keeping watch over short-term, smaller projects.

That would be nice. Lately I've realized that I don't go to Parallax to see what the newest and greatest things in the EE world are: Sparkfun, Pololu, Adafruit and others are constantly getting new technology and new products, but the Parallax lineup is glacial by comparison. I'd like to see some new products, and updates to existing ones. Anybody remember the heady days of 2009? http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/109710-New-Products-From-Parallax?p=847825&viewfull=1#post847825
    edited 2014-03-17 16:59
    @SRLM, indeed, the companies you mentioned are also not engaged in custom-designed ASIC multicores. We straddle two markets at Parallax: one for hobby/education (which has fairly basic, fast-to-design products) and another that includes commercial (many years of design, high cost). With our long-term R&D efforts, the products you'd like to see are actually quite difficult for us to fit into the design process. At the moment, we're finishing up an FPGA board that's got complexities far beyond a sensor breakout board.

It would be great to do it all, for everybody, all the time, but it's impossible until we grow the Propeller market and capture back some of our NRE. Your help with sharing the Propeller and developing resources around it is most appreciated, too.

However, you will see in coming months a merge of our commercial/hobby/education business model into a focused, do what we do best, high-quality effort (vague, I realize). Accompanying these changes will include some first-evers for Parallax. And, most importantly, we will really need you and every community member to provide whatever level of support you can. More on that to follow!

Ken Gracey
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2014-03-17 18:54
    What wireless video transmitter are u using? I'm afraid to get on from online since most of them come from china.
    edited 2014-03-17 20:50
    jdolecki, I think they all come from China. I can't imagine that any of these are actually made in the USA, Europe or Australia, at least at the cost you and I want to pay for them.

I have this version http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22 but in 500 mW. I've found that I get a quarter to half-mile with line of sight quite easily. It works better high up in the mountains where there are fewer trees, too. I'm also using a high-gain antenna and have tried to maximize their pattern overlaps by placement.

Ken Gracey