Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Small Stepper Motor powered by Standard Size Battery — Parallax Forums

Small Stepper Motor powered by Standard Size Battery

gyronikeleggyronikeleg Posts: 2
edited 2014-03-03 08:51 in Robotics
Hello!

I am a beginner when it comes to Electromechanical Engineering but I am looking for some help in building an analog clock. The clock needs to be powered by a higher torque (10 in-oz approx.) clock motor because all the standard off the shelf clock motors cannot drive the assembly I have created.

I would like to assemble an arduino with a small stepper motor and power the entire assembly with standard batteries (AA hopefully)

The motor must also have a lengthy battery life

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2014-02-26 21:59
    Welcome and what is your question?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-02-26 22:00
    I would like to assemble an arduino with a small stepper motor and power the entire assembly with standard batteries

How about asking your question in an Arduino forum? This IS, after all, a Parallax shop.
  • gyronikeleggyronikeleg Posts: 2
    edited 2014-02-28 14:12
    Can I power a small stepper motor with standard size batteries and if so can you recommend one?

Thanks
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-02-28 14:42
    Sure, steppers are cheap and plentiful. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/141149
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2014-03-03 08:51
    Hello!

I am a beginner when it comes to Electromechanical Engineering but I am looking for some help in building an analog clock. The clock needs to be powered by a higher torque (10 in-oz approx.) clock motor because all the standard off the shelf clock motors cannot drive the assembly I have created.

I would like to assemble an arduino with a small stepper motor and power the entire assembly with standard batteries (AA hopefully)

The motor must also have a lengthy battery life

Thanks for your help!

Hmmm, sounds unlikely to me - stepper motors draw their maximum current continuously at standstill, and are thus
    the worst performers for battery life.

Does your mechanism have enough friction that the motor could be powered down completely between steps without
    losing registration? How often are you wanting it to move - once a second or once a minute? A small DC motor
    with a worm gear drive will allow fairly good torque, only needs powering up to move, but would necessitate an
    encoder to keep track of position.