Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
An Unfortunate Name in Robotics — Parallax Forums

An Unfortunate Name in Robotics

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2014-02-24 16:54 in Robotics
My robotics videos on Youtube just started displaying banner ads for a robotic company called A*s, which makes end of arm tooling. Might be a European company (manufactured in Germany) but I'd certainly consider a name change for the American market, no matter how great the products are.

http://eoat-products.com/index.php?MN=3

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2014-02-23 20:33
    Which end of arm do they make products for?
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-02-23 21:03
    Do their arms have elbows or mounting blocks with holes in them? I hear some people can't tell one from the other.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-02-23 21:20
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Do their arms have elbows or mounting blocks with holes in them? I hear some people can't tell one from the other.

These particular robots mount in "a hole in the ground" instead of a bolt-down base.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-02-24 01:21
    Seems like a perfectly fine name to me. It reminds us of donkies but perhaps that's appropriate for a thing that works for us.

Oh, I forgot, Americans cannot spell "Smile".

Now, how would you like to buy your robots sensors from this company in Switzerland? http://www.sick.com/group/EN/home/Pages/Homepage1.aspx
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2014-02-24 13:19
    Now if those two companies would merge they could become Sick-A*S Robotics!
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2014-02-24 13:37
    I hesitate to perpetuate this line of thinking, but now that donkeys have been mentioned, I can't help myself... My wife and I have rescued miniature donkeys so we're pretty used to about any a*s joke you could come up with, big or small.

A company I worked for considered these large fans for air circulation in the warehouse... take a look at www.bigassfans.com -- pretty cool and effective product line actually and saves a lot on heating costs in the winter season.

Tim
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-02-24 15:42
    Too funny. I once designed some software for a company and called it MiST -- it's an acronym, of course. Only to be told that in German, "mist" is a word for manure. It wouldn't have been so bad had Germany not been one of a few important target markets for the product.

Name quickly changed.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-02-24 16:54
    Company and product naming has become a much more important consideration in the global marketplace. So much so that there are consultants and companies that specialize in that area.