Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Not getting data from PMB-648 SIRF using Arduino — Parallax Forums

Not getting data from PMB-648 SIRF using Arduino

aftrumpetaftrumpet Posts: 4
edited 2014-02-26 21:11 in Accessories
I am trying to use a Parallax GPS with an Arduino Nano, and I am not receiving any data from it when running the test program on the Parallax site.

I have the red wire connected to 5V, the black wire connected to GND, and the yellow wire connected to D6. The program runs properly, but it hangs at "Reading GPS" and does not display any data after that.

Does anyone know what might be the issue? I tried waiting to plug in the yellow wire after upload to ensure that there were no serial conflicts, but with the same results.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-02-22 13:54
    Welcome to the forum!

Are you trying to use this inside? Normally it has to be close to a window or outside to acquire enough satellites to give an output.

Is there a blinking LED?
  • aftrumpetaftrumpet Posts: 4
    edited 2014-02-22 14:08
    I think the issue was that I am trying to use the module indoors with no windows, as the red LED never stops blinking.

I'll try moving to a location with windows and see if I get GPS data there.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-02-22 14:09
    Yes, the blinking LED would suggest it has not acquired enough satellites to start putting out data.
    edited 2014-02-22 14:50
    Okay, so I was able to get data from the device at last, but even in a room with many windows, the module took 10 minutes to lock on to satellites.

Is this kind of delay normal?
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2014-02-23 15:57
    aftrumpet wrote: »
    but even in a room with many windows, the module took 10 minutes to lock on to satellites.
    Is this kind of delay normal?

I really don't think it's a matter of windows, but roof.
    How does it go outside?

I have a PMB688 that acquires in the house "in no time".
    edited 2014-02-25 21:53
    I tried the sensor outside today, and after about 3-5 minutes it still had not acquired any satellites.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2014-02-26 20:26
    If that's so, and everything is connected right (wires, voltages, all of it), and your programming is right, then there's a "problem".
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-02-26 21:11
    I have an older GPS from Parallax (a Joe Grand product) that took 15 minutes outside before getting a lock. (I don't have anything against Joe or his products (I think I own most of them) but I don't really like this particular GPS.)

The other GPS units I have can lock onto satellites much faster as long as I don't use a switching regulator with it. Switching regulators can cause all sorts of interference.

I'd suggest going outside for 15 minutes with a quite regulator to make sure there's really a problem. Though it think it could be argued even if you do get a lock after more than 5 minutes in the open, you may have a problem anyway.