Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Track Solution — Parallax Forums

Track Solution

ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
edited 2014-02-24 07:16 in Robotics
Y'all know I've built a few tracked vehicles and my most recent project is using the Lynx motion 2 inch tracks. I put together Ted 3 with just rear drive and font idler sprockets which works "okay", but it puts a lot of rubber on the ground and all that traction makes turning quite a chore. I wanted to add some road wheels to reduce some of that traction and increase ground clearance, but I couldn't come up with something acceptable.
I looked at steel rollers, but thought the steel would damage the plastic tracks. Looked for plastic wheels, but I couldn't find the right combination of diameter (~2 inches) and width (>1 inch) and, of course, cost was an issue.
Then, in one of my early morning web sessions I found a solution... skateboard wheels!

IMG_20140221_072937.jpg

They're plastic, which won't damage the track. They're wide enough to keep the track from flexing side-to-side on rough terrain and each wheel has two, sealed ball bearings.
Picked up on eBay for $10.99 per set of 4 wheels.
Only have the hardware for one wheel... wanted to make sure it would work. Off to the hardware store this morning.
1024 x 768 - 54K

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2014-02-24 07:16
    So is the idea that you would elevate the front and rear wheels with three middle wheels like the Tamiya tracks?