Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video of team 1899's FRC Robot — Parallax Forums

Video of team 1899's FRC Robot

W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
edited 2014-02-21 11:26 in Robotics
Yesterday was "Bag day". That is the day when all teams must stop working on their robots and seal them into bags to await the competition. Yesterday was also the first day that we were able to test it - we have another just like it to practice with.

As in previous years this year's robot is almost entirely made of wood.

An animation describing the game for this year is here.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-02-19 19:20
    Amazing bot, tremendous range on launching the ball. Best of luck in the event.

WRT having a backup unit to continue practicing, pure genius! As SR Hadden said to W9GFO, "Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price?" :)
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2014-02-19 20:19
    Interesting. I like the wood. The team that I mentored this year hand built the robot, so there's only one.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2014-02-21 11:26
    We have been using wood for three main reasons.

1) It goes against the expected norm - most people are quite surprised that cheap plywood is strong enough to hold up in this application.

2) It gives more opportunities for the students to be hand-on in the construction of the robot. It is a forgiving material to work with, and inexpensive.

3) Access to a laser cutter.

As for the power of the shooter; our prototype had just enough range to make the goal. In designing the final shooter we added a bit more tension to the mechanism. It was quite unexpected that we found we could make goal from the half court position. I guess 400lbs of tension is enough.
    WRT having a backup unit to continue practicing, pure genius! As SR Hadden said to W9GFO, "Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price?"

That's really close, Nostromo's face hugger victim actually says: "First rule in government spending - why build one when you can have two at twice the price?"