Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New! Setup SimpleIDE on a Raspberry Pi — Parallax Forums

New! Setup SimpleIDE on a Raspberry Pi

Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
edited 2014-02-19 19:39 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello everyone!

Parallax has just released a new setup tutorial for installing SimpleIDE on a Raspberry Pi!

Check it out -- just follow the detailed video and/or our step-by-step written instructions and you'll be programming a Propeller on your Raspberry Pi in no time at all.

Propeller C - Setup SimpleIDE: Raspberry Pi
http://learn.parallax.com/propeller-c-set-simpleide/raspberrypi

Special thanks go to Parallax's Jeff Martin, and to the forum community members who helped make this happen (see the bottom of the tutorial page for more info).

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-02-18 12:32
    Congrats to Jeff and Heater.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-02-18 13:55
    Cool! I went and got popcorn and was all ready to watch Heater in a video.....and alas it's just Jeff....well, not that just Jeff is a bad thing...

Good job, everybody! I'll grab a Pi and test out the process.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-02-18 17:52
    I'd like to lend Jeff and Heater a note of appreciation for his efforts here. Jeff is often a quiet contributor but does everything to the best of his abilities (and thankfully for the rest of us, his abilities are very high!). You'll find that the documentation is complete, the steps are clear, and you can successfully program the Propeller from the RasPi. This particular project has been underway for several months.

Wait till you see what Jeff has accomplished next. Oh how I wish I could talk about it already.

Ken Gracey
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-02-18 20:17
    Ken Gracey wrote: »

Wait till you see what Jeff has accomplished next. Oh how I wish I could talk about it already.

Ken Gracey

Oh, go ahead! We won't tell! :smile:
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-02-19 01:15
    That is a great video. Very slick.

Actually it's one of the best tutorials on setting up a Pi I have seen. It's very generous of Parallax to be helping out the Raspberry Pi Foundation like that. I would have been tempted to start from assuming that the Pi user already has his Raspbian up and running and only needs to install SimpleIDE.

I hope someone has notified the Pi foundation about this or posted to the Pi forum. If not I will soon.

I noticed that the version of SimpleIDE used in the vid is 0.9.43 when the latest build was 0.9.46 I wonder what happened there.

@mindrobots,
    ...Heater in a video...
    Do be serious. Jeff has done a much better job of it than I ever could.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-02-19 08:09
    Kudos to Jeff and Parallax - very well done!
    Hello everyone!

Parallax has just released a new setup tutorial for installing SimpleIDE on a Raspberry Pi!

Check it out -- just follow the detailed video and/or our step-by-step written instructions and you'll be programming a Propeller on your Raspberry Pi in no time at all.

Propeller C - Setup SimpleIDE: Raspberry Pi
    http://learn.parallax.com/propeller-c-set-simpleide/raspberrypi

Special thanks go to Parallax's Jeff Martin, and to the forum community members who helped make this happen (see the bottom of the tutorial page for more info).
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-02-19 08:52
    +1 I like! Very well done.
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2014-02-19 09:12
    Great job Heater and Jeff.
  • jac_goudsmitjac_goudsmit Posts: 418
    edited 2014-02-19 09:24
    The video makes me want to try it out! Thanks Jeff and Heater!

I think there may be an easier way to unpack the downloaded file than what the video shows, though. Unless the tar command on the Pi is crippled, you should be able to decompress and unpack the tar.bzip2 file in one step using:

tar xvfj SimpleIDE_0-9-45_armv6l-RaspberryPi-Linux.tar.bz2

You won't need to do the bunzip2 step before this.

===Jac
    edited 2014-02-19 09:33
    tar -xvjf works just fine on the Pi. Would never have thought to do it any other way.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-02-19 16:39
    Oops!

Forgot to say

THANK YOU HEATER!

in my earlier post in this thread.
    Heater. wrote: »
    tar -xvjf works just fine on the Pi. Would never have thought to do it any other way.
    edited 2014-02-19 19:39
    Save the thanks for Eric Smith, Jazzed, Roy Eltham, David Betz and all those involved in creating SimpleIDE, propgcc, openspin etc

You know, the guys who did the actual work.

I only showed that building SmpleIDE for the Pi was possible. Thank's to those above it has become much easier recently.

http://a.linuxsecured.net/building-propgcc-for-the-raspberry-pi