Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using digital I/O Eddie Control Board for UART — Parallax Forums

Using digital I/O Eddie Control Board for UART

hcchenhcchen Posts: 14
edited 2014-02-17 23:44 in Accessories
I want to use FullDuplexSerial.spin as driver for UART in Eddie Control Board

問問題.jpg

My question 1 : Was the data transmission influenced by these resistors ?
My question 2 : Can the FullDuplexSerial.spin be used ?

Which experts can help me?

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2014-02-16 07:20
    1. No
    2. Yes

The resistors provide protection to the Propeller I/O pins. You're safe to, at the very least, try out the communication with your external device. The main issue that you may encounter is transmitting to 5.0v devices, since the high of a Propeller I/O is only 3.3v and may not be enough to register on the external device.
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
    edited 2014-02-16 18:46
    Hi,
    These pins have null resistors on them ,but be careful to the voltage applied to them.

Brian
    1024 x 768 - 22K
  • hcchenhcchen Posts: 14
    edited 2014-02-17 01:30
    thank you for your answer.
    I am a novice.
    I would not use these drivers, so I need some example to learn.
    Someone can teach me or giving me some examples ?
    edited 2014-02-17 06:35
    hcchen wrote: »
    Someone can teach me or giving me some examples ?

What device do you want to integrate?

There's quite a few examples of using FDS out there.
    edited 2014-02-17 07:28
    I want to use NRF24L01 module to integrate.

what is FDS ? Can you give me w
    ebsite ?

thx~

edited 2014-02-17 07:40
    I want to use NRF24L01 module to integrate.

what is FDS ? Can you give me w
    ebsite ?

thx~

FDS is FullDuplexSerial, which you linked to in your first post.

But the NRF24L01 does not have a UART interface, so FDS won't work for it. I see that you already have a thread on the subject: you should continue this conversation there. Duane has given a good reply.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/152424-Can-i-combine-nrf24l01-with-eddie-control-board
    edited 2014-02-17 08:21

Well, that's not exactly the NRF24L01 module that you want to interface to. You want to interface to a microcontroller with some unspecified protocol. I suspect that it's the standard wireless wire replacement scheme (whatever you transmit to RX appears on TX on everything else), but without a datasheet can't say for sure.

To try out what I would do is use two modules. One is connected directly to the Propeller with both RX and TX hooked up. The other one is powered and with a jumper on it's RX and TX. This will force it to loop everything that you send it back to the sender. So, from your Propeller you can simply transmit and see if you get those same bytes in your receive buffer.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-02-17 08:34

That's an interersting board. I couldn't find any information about what firmware the board comes with if any. If you don't know how to program the STC15L204, you'll want to make sure it comes with program already loaded to interface with the nRF24L01+ modules.

I'm been meaning to make a similar board using an ATtiny. Apparently some of the ATtiny chips have an UART which would make the task of converting the SPI to serial easier. My thought was to include 2mm pitched holes so the board could be used as a XBee replacement.

If you purchase the STC15L204 board, I hope you report back here on your experience. I'm interested to know how well it works.

It looks like the board you're interested in uses 3.3V logic. The 4.7K resistors shouldn't be a problem with a 3.3V device. As SRLM mentioned, the resistors can cause problems with output to 5V devices.
    edited 2014-02-17 23:44
    TO SRLM

I want to check your meaning. like this
    Q1.jpg

Using Brian_B suggestion to set transmitter and then digital I/O as receiver.

TO Duane

My partner want to use STC15L204 board, but I have never used.

If it is possible,l will report my experience.
    1024 x 576 - 25K
    Q1.jpg 25.3K