Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial commands for PropScope — Parallax Forums

Serial commands for PropScope

Ethan SwintEthan Swint Posts: 3
edited 2014-02-20 06:54 in Accessories
I want to write my own PC-side program to get/send data from/to my Propscope. I haven't found any references for it (which I expected for an open-source scope!) but I did see a reference to their being a DDE server, but the link was dead. Any help on this?

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-02-13 11:12
    I want to write my own PC-side program to get/send data from/to my Propscope. I haven't found any references for it (which I expected for an open-source scope!) but I did see a reference to their being a DDE server, but the link was dead. Any help on this?

Ethan, Welcome to the forum!

While the hardware is open sourced, the software is not.

That being said, I will try and find the reference to the DDE server.

Hanno has changed his website from Hannoware to Onerobot. He is the developer of the software for the PropScope.
    edited 2014-02-14 06:45
    Had to search a couple of my computers for this. It should be the file that was at:

http://hannoware.com/viewport/clients.php

I
    think this is the one you are looking for.

EDIT: Use this search in Google to find all the threads about DDE in the fourms:

DDE site:forums.parallax.com
  • Ethan SwintEthan Swint Posts: 3
    edited 2014-02-18 09:09
    Thanks for the re-post of the DDE file. I saw references elsewhere in the forum there is a 2010 posting about an upcoming communication protocol document, but no response to a 2013 status update/inquiry. Anyone know where the file linked in the 2010 posting may be found?
    Without the ability to customize the PC client, it pretty much kills the Propscope for the project I have in mind.
    edited 2014-02-18 09:37
    Thanks for the re-post of the DDE file. I saw references elsewhere in the forum there is a 2010 posting about an upcoming communication protocol document, but no response to a 2013 status update/inquiry. Anyone know where the file linked in the 2010 posting may be found?
    Without the ability to customize the PC client, it pretty much kills the Propscope for the project I have in mind.

That file from the 2010 posting is the latest.

There was a discussion of doing and open source project here:

http://propellerpowered.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=81412860d33e4f54d9bf9436f4b9e883&board=8.0
    edited 2014-02-18 10:38

Would not the information in Post #3 give you that information for the PC side?

I know there is more you would like to know, but Hanno owns the firmware code.
  • Ethan SwintEthan Swint Posts: 3
    edited 2014-02-20 06:54
    Publison wrote: »
    Would not the information in Post #3 give you that information for the PC side?

My first pass at finding Python solutions for a DDE client say "Don't do it, DDE is dead" or "the Python DDE code takes a lot of work to get running" and I haven't yet had time to Try It Myself. I've written a number of other Python GUI applications that interface with serial port instruments, so I have a bit of an incumbernt software platform that I would like to leverage, too. Thanks for the pointer to the open-source code, as well. I'll take a look around at those solutions, maybe Hanno can be convinced that it's worth his $ime to complete the communication protocol documentation.