Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Origami Robot — Parallax Forums

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-02-12 16:49
    Interesting for sure. Fast mover, but is it any more than an R/C toy? I cringe at the thought of cardboard and how durable it is. He says plastic & cardboard, it's not clear what's what. Those little legs don't look overly durable. One good drop or misstep (or someone stomping on what they think is a roach) and it's game over.

Much as it pains me to admit it, plastic would be better here than wood-based paper!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-02-12 19:03
    I think it's a really cool concept. I assume that "cardbaord and plastic" refers to a laminate of cardboard with, possibly, a polyester film overlay, which would be quite rugged -- so long as it stays dry. I've tried more than once to come up with a laser--cut cardboard robot chassis, but they were always pretty flimsy. I should try the polyester film sandwich idea to see if it helps.

-Phil
    edited 2014-02-12 20:48
    If it was polypro sheet, like some cheapie 3-ring binders use for an outer jacket, that would certainly be more durable than paper.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2014-02-22 12:13
    PhiPi -- yes, it's a laser cut plastic and cardboard laminate. Ingeninous, really. And at $65 pretty dang cool.

Erco, you do this all the time -- weigh in with your know-it-all opinions when you clearly don't even bother to read a 5 paragraph summary of what the thing really is.
    edited 2014-02-22 20:03
    Zoot wrote: »
    Erco, you do this all the time -- weigh in with your know-it-all opinions when you clearly don't even bother to read a 5 paragraph summary of what the thing really is.

@Zoot: Shoot me your mailing address and I'll send you a salt shaker. After each one of my posts, take two grains and PM me in the morning. :)