Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #2: Envision the S3 Robot - Page 11 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #2: Envision the S3 Robot

15678911»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    As long as we're waiting, how about making the wheels into 5 spokes? We gotta keep up with the Joneses Pololus.

0J6769.1200.jpg?1d221bbd29cf4eae1c0f44093297671b

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Spinners?
    500 x 373 - 848K
  • This is my first time reading about the S3 so feel free to ignore my comments. :)

I enjoyed reading the input from everyone and the are some great ideas. The color green looks great!

1. Is it the body florescent so that you can see it maneuver at night ?
    2. Is there a easy way to externally (remote, front panel etc) turn off peripherals when not in use to save battery power? i.e. Bluetooth, WiFi etc
    3. Is there a thermal imaging camera module for it ?
    4. Can it speak in multiple languages so that users can set it for their own language?

Although I really like this version I'll hold out until we get a Prop2 version and hopefully it will be able to run a Java Script engine and be able to use Web API's as well to enhance the features. Maybe even hook into Big Blue :)

edited 2016-01-27 20:05
    Whit wrote: »
    Spinners?

Whattup Whit, fum nowon imo call you Delux 247, homie!

It is difficult when members of your own family don't respect your hobby fantasy life. It's hard to stay in the robotic's lab mindset when your wife tells you to take out the trash - I feel Delux 247's pain...
    So use your mad skilz to invent a Trash Bot and make yourself millions, Boss!
    edited 2016-02-01 14:10
    I want to play with a Green S3...

my trash can is green too...

Let me think...
  • Any ETA for the S3?
    GOOD stuff! Can't wait to play with the new GUIs.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2016-03-02 23:36
    Is there a price range as of yet? That way I can start saving now. Also, What happened to Yellow?
  • Andy, You have to read carefully: :)
    Green color (we experimented with yellow but found it too reflective of internally-generated infrared)
  • Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2016-03-02 23:57
    Final pricing won't be set until the S3 units go into actual production, but it will be in line with the average cost of our other educational robots.

Ken addressed the green color issue when he said: "We experimented with yellow but found it too reflective of internally-generated infrared." The green of the robot is actually less minty, more vibrant; that article photo doesn't do it justice.
  • When will CAD drawings of the chassis be available? (if they are still going to be released)
  • Design files are unlikely to be released until after the official launch of the robot.
  • Thanks for the update. It is a bummer since I have had an S2 add-on set aside for nearly two years waiting for better CAD data for the design. I think I will shift gears and publish my design so far for others to make use of it rather than developing a poduct.
    Thanks for the update. It is a bummer since I have had an S2 add-on set aside for nearly two years waiting for better CAD data for the design. I think I will shift gears and publish my design so far for others to make use of it rather than developing a poduct.

Can't wait Andrew!

• Where can I find a current description of the S3 features? Does it include an Xbee socket?
    edited 2016-04-06 11:32
  • Whit wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. It is a bummer since I have had an S2 add-on set aside for nearly two years waiting for better CAD data for the design. I think I will shift gears and publish my design so far for others to make use of it rather than developing a product.

Can't wait Andrew!

Whit, sorry for my delay, but I haven't been able to gather my notes clean enough to make sense to others. I am planning on working on it Thursday night since I will be in bachelor mode. Even if it is not forum ready, I will send you what I have to review.
    @Andrew - No worries - look forward to seeing what you are up to!
  • Is there a regular discussion thread for the S3 now that some of us are testing them?
    I am having trouble with the USB driver for mine. The device manager is giving me a generic USB serial Port. I know how to change the driver and have the latest Parallax drivers but do not know which one to use. Is there a driver specific to the S3? The chip on the S3 is P8X32A-044.
  • Hi Carol.

What is the configuration of your Hardware? (OS and hardware platform)?

If you double click on the COM device in device manager, does it display a manufacturer of Parallax or FTDI?
  • It looks like the S3 boards is using a FTDI FT231XS USB-Serial chip.
  • With more research I found a couple of prototype programs on the BlocklyProp demo site that did run so I am going to assume that I am not using BlocklyProp correctly. Though I have not been able to connect to SimpleIDE or the Propeller Tool yet either and I have never had that problem with other prop boards. Need to keep researching and learning.
    1383 x 1037 - 483K
  • With more research I found a couple of prototype programs on the Blockley Prop demo site that did run so I am going to assume that I am not using BlocklyProp correctly. Though I have not been able to connect to SimpleIDE or the Propeller Tool yet either and I have never had that problem with other prop boards. Need to keep researching and learning.

Not having an S3 prototype, I can not recreate your problem, but if you connect to BlocklyProp, you should be talking to the same FTDI in PropTool and SmipleIDE, although sometimes you have to select the com ports through the drop down menu.
    @Carol,

Let's talk... We can start via email. I may be able to help you!
  • Blockly is in a state of transition for the S3 right now - by Wednesday I expect our motor blocks to be working properly. We introduced some non-working blocks Friday evening and they have not been updated on the demo.blockly.parallax.com site yet. - Ken
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,122
    edited 2016-11-29 00:56
    Far too late I know but at some point could the next version of the S(x) robot incorporate few 3mm or 440 inserts in the top shell to hard mount sensors or
    circuit boards or some hardware?

My two cents... a day late and a dollar short! :-(

Amanda