Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
propellar - wifi - smartphone ??? — Parallax Forums

propellar - wifi - smartphone ???

steprogsteprog Posts: 227
edited 2014-02-25 11:46 in Accessories
Hello,
Back from the dead with a new project. Working on an effort to detect fire and wifi xbee the info to other sensors and actuators, however I wanted to add wifi so remote alarm and system access can be made via smartphone or tablet.

That is the gist of it.. However I can do the zigbee stuff okay, pretty straightforward, but is there a simple way to add wifi to the propeller? This is an add-on and would make my design a little sexier, but not paid for and not really required. However it would be cool for testing and other things. I have been away from the forums for a couple of years now and didn't readily see a solution.

Has this been done? any ideals?
Thanks,
Greg

Comments

• John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2014-02-09 14:39
    Parallax sells the Digi S6B. http://www.parallax.com/product/32412 I have talked to it from a DroidX and a Nexus 7.

John Abshier
  • steprogsteprog Posts: 227
    edited 2014-02-09 14:52
    Oh this is wifi? I thought this was xbee protocol, I am getting behind the times. I haven't looked yet but I assume they have an object that works with it?
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,992
    edited 2014-02-25 08:48
    I have talked to it from a DroidX and a Nexus 7.

John,

Was that a direct connection, or through a router?
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2014-02-25 11:46
    JonnyMac, it was through a router. I have been traveling and idle on the project. Hopefully I will try direct connection this week. I have a Processing "experimental" library for WiFI Direct. Don't know if it will work with the XBee S6B. That would be nice. Wouldn't have to take a router if you go somewhere else or worry about someone else's IP address range.

I have an ongoing project in the Projects section of the forum.

John Abshier