Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 OEM dead — Parallax Forums

BS2 OEM dead

mrsparklemrsparkle Posts: 12
edited 2014-02-20 08:44 in BASIC Stamp
Hi Guys,
I have a BS2 OEM that has quit working (the software reports "No Basic Stamps found"). I spent some time debugging and suspect the resonator.
I have a bunch of crystal oscillators and I was wondering if I could desolder the resonator and put a CO in its place, just for debugging purposes.
What do you think?

thanks,

Mr Sparkle

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-02-07 11:42
    Hello,

If you're referring to 4-pin powered oscillator, you might be able to do this by connecting the output to the XIN pin on the interpreter. If you mean a 2-lead crystal, this probably won't work as the internal drive is set up for the resonator. With the oscillator drive isn't an issue, though you should remove the feedback resistor which is connected in parallel with the resonator. The problem is I think it is built into one of the SIP resistor packs if memory serves.

Just as a note the resonator of often the last thing I would suspect on the BASIC Stamp Module to just stop working. May I ask how you came to that determination?

You didn't post what you see in the Identify window, which would give clues as to the nature of the problem.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2014-02-07 11:44
    mrsparkle wrote: »
    What do you think?

Have you measured the BS2 power supply?
  • mrsparklemrsparkle Posts: 12
    edited 2014-02-10 13:16
    Hi Chris,
    I have included a screenshot of the results of Identify (F6). Vin is 9V and the module draws 0.09A, the regulator is putting out a solid 5V.

thanks,
    MrS
    edited 2014-02-10 15:28
    Are you using an on-board Serial Port to connect to the BASIC Stamp 2 OEM? COM1 is usually reserved for an on-board port. I see your COM3 says invalid and I was trying to determine if you're using a USB to Serial Adapter.
    edited 2014-02-11 14:30
    Hi Chris,
    I am not using a USB to serial adapter. My serial cable connects directly between the BS2 OEM and the serial port on the PC. I have another BS2 OEM I could try if you think that would help, but I have a BS2p40 that I can talk to fine with this serial cable.
    What should I try next?

Mr. S
    edited 2014-02-11 14:41
    No, that's what I was trying to determine. If that port works for programming other BASIC Stamp Modules then the problem is probably somewhere else. Looking back you didn't answer a few of my questions trying to narrow down the problem, for example what exactly you meant by CO and how you determined the resonator to be the problem.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,749
    edited 2014-02-12 08:45
    Chris,

By CO he means a Crystal Oscillator and you already answered his question about it.
    edited 2014-02-12 12:39
    Hi Chris,
    Genetix is right, by CO I just meant crystal oscillator, that is, a 4-pin powered oscillator (or "square wave in a can"). I just couldn't think of what else could be wrong and using a CO in place of the resonator seemed like an easy thing to try.
    I hope to get back to this problem in a few days.

thanks,
    MrS
    edited 2014-02-12 14:13
    Yep, familiar with Oscillators...but I have seen people confuse them with a standard crystal, so I always clarify if it isn't spelled out. Part of my Tech Support side of me nature. When you power up the circuit d you see data on the SDA or SCL lines of the EEPROM? Not sure what test tools you have. A scope would be good. A logic analyzer would be good for this too.
    edited 2014-02-18 08:14
    Hi Chris,
    I see no activity on SDA or SCL on power up, with the scope.
    Thanks,
    MrS
    edited 2014-02-18 10:21
    That means the interpreter chip is not responding. Assuming the power is good and the reset line is not being held low, it could be either the resonator, or the interpreter itself. On power-up the interpreter should be trying to access the EEPROM.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,240
    edited 2014-02-18 14:37
    mrsparkle - I have several BS2 OEMs just sitting in a box looking for something to do. If you will PM me a mailing address, I will be glad to let you have a couple.

I have been on the receiving end of the generosity of people on this forum and from Parallax many time so it would be an honor to "pay it forward."

Doc
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-02-18 17:35
    And if doggiedoc can't help, I'd be happy to do a retroactive lifetime warranty on your BS2-OEM. I probably won't be able to monitor this thread, but feel free to contact me if it turns out to be totally dead. We'll grant you a replacement if it were user-inflicted damage, too.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2014-02-18 21:27
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    I'd be happy to do a retroactive lifetime warranty on your BS2-OEM.

Unbelieveable yet typical Parallax customer service. Mr. Gracey grants grace!

BTW, the definition of grace is literally unwarranted favor. :)
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-02-18 21:37
    erco wrote: »
    Unbelieveable yet typical Parallax customer service. Mr. Gracey grants grace!

BTW, the definition of grace is literally unwarranted favor. :)

Keep that positive reinforcement coming, erco. We'll do whatever you guys want...even finish P2!
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,240
    edited 2014-02-19 04:06
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Keep that positive reinforcement coming, erco. We'll do whatever you guys want...even finish P2!
    That commitment to customer service is truly rare. Keeps me coming back!

mrsparkle, my offer still stands. Just PM me. (I'll cover postage and everything.)

Doc
    edited 2014-02-20 08:37
    Hi Chris,
    Thanks for your help, you can close this thread now, I have my answers.
    To Ken and doggiedoc, thanks very much for your kind offers. Debugging is something I enjoy, and that was the only reason for this posting.
    I've had only positive experiences with Parallax and their user community in the past, and this is just another example of that spirit.

Thanks again,
    Mr Sparkle
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2014-02-20 08:44
    mrsparkle wrote: »
    I have my answers.

Pray tell? I've used BS2 OEMs and have been watching this thread.

Also, you're able to mark this thread as "solved" by editing the first post in advanced mode and changing the prefix.