Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need input on prototype. — Parallax Forums

Need input on prototype.

motherpuncher855motherpuncher855 Posts: 3
edited 2014-02-04 20:21 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all. Im new to microcontrollers and programming. Im a test engineer and want to design a piece of test equipment. One of my friends suggested I take a look at the Basic Stamp. Ive been doing some research and I think I know what I need to get started but I would like some input from those that are experienced with this sort of thing. Now, Ive always wanted to learn any type of coding, and have started a few code academy courses (havent finished) but have never really had an application for it until now. Im needing to build something that can wirelessly monitor 3 different pressure gauges. On one end im wanting the 3 different pressure gauges to connect to one microcontroller and on the other end im wanting an LCD screen to print those 3 pressures (in PSI). As far as I can tell I'll need 2 microcontrollers and 2 XBee wireless transcievers (and adapter boards). I've also been looking at the propeller activity board for this project. My employer is willing to look at funding this project since (if successful) it will be used in our test process. I'm just wanting input as far as what all ill need to get this project rolling. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-02-04 13:30
    I think you'll be much happier if you use the Propeller instead of the Basic Stamp. Particularly with serial communication. The Basic Stamp doesn't have a UART and has to be ready for any incoming messages.

What sort of distances will the transceivers need to cover? XBees are great and easy to use, they're just kind of expensive when compared with other options.

I use XBees myself but I'm also a big fan of Nordic nRF24L01+ modules. I have information about these modules in post #1 of my index (see signature).

The Propeller Activity Board is a nice board but the Propeller Project board is a less expensive alternative which would probably work for this application (though it doesn't have a built in XBee headers).

What sort of output do your pressure sensor give?
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,752
    edited 2014-02-04 13:43
    Most of the pressure gauges I have worked with are analog and digital gauges are very expensive. You might want to consider using a pressure transducer instead and Industrial environments tends to be very noisy so wired connections are preferred.

What pressure ranges are you measuring and how fast of a response do you need? Are these pressures critical or do they just need to b within a certain range.
  • motherpuncher855motherpuncher855 Posts: 3
    edited 2014-02-04 20:19
    The distances I'll be covering will be 70ft max. The voltage output of the sensors vary. I can get them in mili volt output to voltage output. Thanks for the response! I'll check your stuff out.
  • motherpuncher855motherpuncher855 Posts: 3
    edited 2014-02-04 20:21
    Genetix wrote: »
    Most of the pressure gauges I have worked with are analog and digital gauges are very expensive. You might want to consider using a pressure transducer instead and Industrial environments tends to be very noisy so wired connections are preferred.

What pressure ranges are you measuring and how fast of a response do you need? Are these pressures critical or do they just need to b within a certain range.

I apologize, a transducer is what I am planning on using. I'm measuring up to 200 psi and I need a fairly quick response (< 1 second lag between pressure change and display)