Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Continuously save data to a csv file — Parallax Forums

Continuously save data to a csv file

igorkyigorky Posts: 1
edited 2014-02-08 12:51 in Accessories
Hi Parallax Team,

I have USB scope (old one) and software ver 5.1.1.
The software saves only the latest 3000 samples to a csv file.
I tried to debug a serial link, but I can't catch the data.
Is it possible to save data to a csv file when measurements is on without the 3000 samples limit?

If you doesn't support this branch of software do you have plans to release it to an open source?

Thanks.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-02-08 12:51
    I kept hoping someone who knows more about this would answer.

I think I have the same type of scope. I think the scope uses a SX chip internally. I think the data limitation is due to the limited memory of the scope. The USB connection isn't fast enough (or the scope can't send data fast enough) to capture the data live so it's captured by the device and then sent to the PC for storage after the sampling period is over (I'm not sure about this).

I don't know if the code for the USB o'scope is open source or not. I'm not sure if different software on the PC would change any of the limitations I just mentioned.

The type of application you describe sounds like a better fit for a logic analyzer. A scope captures the shape of the transition while a LA just captures the transitions. This allows the LA to capture larger periods of time. I've used this LA several times and I thought it was very helpful in finding problems.

I'm pretty sure the communication protocol used by the LA I linked to above is open. In fact you can find LAs with very similar features for much less on the internet which use the same software.