Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need a starting place — Parallax Forums

Need a starting place

jason0627jason0627 Posts: 17
edited 2014-02-02 17:21 in Accessories
Hello

Anyone know a good source to learn about all the different wireless options . I was hoping parallax had a book similar to their what is a microprocessor but I have not found it. I would prefer a good book I could follow along and do examples I learn best that way.

Bought a book I thought it would be good but wants me to use java . Would prefer basic for now

Thanks

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2014-02-01 19:57
    Anyone know a good source to learn about all the different wireless options .
    That would be a large book. The best way to find a solution is to define the problem first and then look for those devices that will make it happen. Here is a link to some general information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_(disambiguation)
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-02-02 14:23
    Jason,

As Franklin suggests there are an awful lot of wireless possibilities. What sort of distance do you have in mind?

One of the wireless devices I've used have been RC type transmitters and receivers. I use these devices in my Mecanum wheeled robot project. I also used an RC system with my PropBOE-Bot. I used the uSD card on the PropBOE to record the pulses sent to the CR servos. This let me "record" my driving path and play back later (I still think this is pretty cool).

I've also used XBees in various projects. None of my XBee projects have a cool video to go with them (yet). My latest XBee project is using an XBee with a remote Paul K. made to control a hexapod (also made by Paul K.). I haven't documented this latest development with my hexapod yet. I'm hoping Paul's remote will make it easier to control the hexapod in complicated movements. I've still working on the software for both the remote and the hexapod.

I think my favorite wireless devices are the Nordic nRF24L01+ transceivers. I have information about these transceivers in post #1 of my index (see signature). These "Nordic" modules are very inexpensive. If you buy several at once they don't cost much more than a dollar each. I have lots of projects using the Nordic modules. I'm working on my super duper robot remote which uses one of these devices. I've used them to control a Roomba, LEDs and bunch of other stuff.

I'd also like to learn to use cell phone type modules. I have one of Tubular's Telit boards but I haven't used it yet.

Post #5 of my index has a "Wireless" section with some additional links.

There's also a thread in the wireless forum listing various wireless topics. This thread helped me find one of the other wireless methods I'm interested in trying, which is using a walkie-talkie as a modem.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,709
    edited 2014-02-02 16:02
    @Duane
    This let me "record" my driving path and play back later (I still think this is pretty cool).

Don't tell erco and do some 'double eight' or 'more advanced challenge ...

Pretty cool

Mike
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-02-02 17:21
    msrobots wrote: »
    Don't tell erco and do some 'double eight' or 'more advanced challenge ...

My attempt was inspired by erco's retro bot driving a prerecorded path.

He used an IR remote which I suppose is another "wireless" device.