Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can I build an "Arlo"? — Parallax Forums

Can I build an "Arlo"?

ChrisL8ChrisL8 Posts: 129
edited 2014-02-07 13:45 in Robotics
I have been playing with NXT for a while and want to move up a step in my platform.

After digging online for a long time it seems like the "Arlo" might be the best platform available for what I want to do.

However, I am a little lost on how to start. Is the "Arlo" a kit, or just an idea? I see where I can buy most of the parts, but no entire kit, I also have a few questions I cannot see an answer for:

1. How do I power it?

2. What board should I use to control it?
- My current system is an Android phone controlling a Lego NXT brick. I was assuming I would need to learn Arduino to expand, but I don't see much about Arduino here. Is there a "standard" controller board for the "Arlo"? Can an Arduino be used with it? What is "Propeller"?
- I am not committed to any platform yet. Arduino looks tempting because of the huge community support and component availability, but I'm ready to pick up and learn whatever works best for my goals.

I probably have more questions, but these will get me started. :)

Comments

• Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2014-02-03 10:30
    Welcome to the forums, clofland.

Arlo is a Robotic Platform System; it is the frame upon which you build and customize a robot for your needs. The Parallax Propeller is a multicore microcontroller designed to be programmed in languages like Spin, C, or PASM. Take a look at some of our Propeller Boards to get an idea of the flexibility and capability of the Propeller.

The graphic below will help illustrate how to design and choose parts for your Arlo:

28960a_5.png

These components will give you a complete Arlo Robotics Platform System upon which you can add hardware, sensors, or other components to completely customize its look and performance. You need to supply power in the form of one or two 12 VDC, 8 amp hour, SLA batteries. If you'd prefer to supply a different battery, the battery shelf has mounting holes that you can use to attach your own hardware.

Parallax is committed to offering support for its products; Arlo is still a relatively new product, and we're working on developing C libraries to make it more user-friendly to less experienced programmers. In the meantime, we have amazing sales and technical support teams, a knowledgeable and helpful forum community, and an entire site devoted to education and tutorials in C, PBASIC, and Spin (learn.parallax.com).
    1000 x 591 - 223K
  • ChrisL8ChrisL8 Posts: 129
    edited 2014-02-05 21:49
    One gap I see in the Arlo platform is any method to power the microcontroller in the Arlo from the recommended 12 V SLA battery.

What are your recommendations?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-02-05 22:08
    clofland wrote: »
    One gap I see in the Arlo platform is any method to power the microcontroller in the Arlo from the recommended 12 V SLA battery.

What are your recommendations?

Good catch, clofland. We have an Arlo power distribution board in design which will provide motor and logic power, and the latter will be regulated. So, my suggestion until we provide that hardware is to regulate the 12V power down to the Propeller Activity Board's power level (6V). There are thousands of these on eBay, Amazon, or SparkFun. http://www.amazon.com/SuperDroid-Robots-Regulator-Board-Kit/dp/B00CIC0BE8 is an example.

The Arlo is a great kit, and a very capable platform.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2014-02-06 07:17
    Hi clofland - Welcome to the Forums :thumb:

I'll add that the Arlo Power Distributor has multiple output terminal blocks, each of which is fused . It sits below, and mates with a newly designed switch plate. Our goal with this system is to make it really simple (and safe - those SLA's have a lot of energy!) to add all kinds of power provisioning options because the Arlo is designed to be a very expandable and robust robotic platform.

-MattG
  • ChrisL8ChrisL8 Posts: 129
    edited 2014-02-07 13:45
    I am glad to hear you have something in the works, and that you are thinking ahead about options, because I already have hopes to power several on board devices.

You've given me a path forward, and I'm going to run with it as time permits! Thank you.
  • we can use arlo kit with Arduino Uno ??
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2016-02-01 14:06
    Arlo is a platform "system" that can be used with any sort controller system (micro or full computer). Parallax's Propeller allows multi-cor processing - which is ideal for robotics. See https://www.parallax.com/product/arlo-robotic-platform-system for the whole system - the system includes a base, platform, battery holder, motors, encoders and wheels (two choices), caster wheels and motor controller. That doesn't mention Parallax's host of sensors - ultra sonic, IR and laser (with or without mounting hardware), GPS, tilt/acceleration, the Power distribution board, wireless communication devices or the battery charger! And all of this with amazing documentation and these forums for support.

Use all the parts or some. Arlo provides components for a builder who wants to experiment. Be sure to check this out too for a full description of ChrisL8's build - http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/156644/building-arlo/p1

So, yes you can use the Uno, but why not stay at one site with all you need and the product support to keep you moving?
  • Hello hadJou - Welcome to the Forums!

I'll echo everything that Whit said :) Thanks Whit!

The Arlo hardware is open source and can be controlled by any processor you prefer.

If you use our processors, then you'll have all kinds of support as far as the integration of the software and the hardware, both from Parallax, as well as our loyal band of Forumistas.

If you choose to use another processor, that's fine too - it's your choice, but we obviously can't help you with code samples on processors that we don't manufacture.

But that being said - do what you feel most comfortable with :)
    -MattG