Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IR Sensor questions — Parallax Forums

IR Sensor questions

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,181
edited 2014-01-31 17:52 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
I have here the parts to try out the first example in the IR sensor set. That of simple object detection. But I'm wondering if the pin-outs of the sensor on both the datasheet and the enclosed applications note are wrong.

That's right.

Wrong.

I'm trying to connect the sensor to the board as it described and its not working. In fact the sensor I chose released the magic smoke.

So I'm wondering if the details concerning how the sensor is wired to the board and the BS2 are in fact in some kind of error. I've temporarily postponed my research in this area until its gets sorted out.

Comments

• WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2014-01-28 00:40
    Buck,
    After looking at the Parallax doc and the datasheet, I would say that they do match if the part in the Parallax doc is drawn as if you are looking down on top of the component. If viewed as the bottom of the component, the pin numbering/IDs would be reverse for VCC and Vout. I snipped both images out and rotated the one from the datasheet to confirm that I wasn't missing any orientations.

Also, I noticed the text calls out using "FREQOUT 7, 1, 37500" but the code example from the text shows "FREQOUT 7, 1, 38500" Not sure if that would cause any issues as well. (definitely not the magic smoke release)
    766 x 298 - 64K
  • Hal AlbachHal Albach Posts: 747
    edited 2014-01-28 07:14
    The first attachment, "Weekend Special...." page 1.2 does appear to show the detector numbered backward. It shows an angular view of the left side, back, and top with the bubble clearly to the right. rotating that view so the bubble faces the viewer, pin 1 will be on the right, opposite from what the data sheet shows.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2014-01-28 11:25
    Wow, I missed that part of the doc. The schematic is correct as I posted, but yes, the part list and pin out diagram is completely wrong.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,181
    edited 2014-01-28 11:36
    Wow, I missed that part of the doc. The schematic is correct as I posted, but yes, the part list and pin out diagram is completely wrong.

Hello!
    Right you are Andrew. [Two winners for the round trip to the resorts on Tatooine.]

That's why I temporarily stopped. I am expecting someone from Parallax to contribute, but, ah, that two hours ago. ;)

So I'm on to new ideas. More in a later thread.
  • __da__boss____da__boss__ Posts: 9
    edited 2014-01-31 10:21
    Let me verify what you are saying.

The instructions ( For wiring ) on the book for the IR sensors are wrong, and one of the sensors is fried?

IF so, I can confirm that. One of my sensors either fried or isn't right cause it won't send feedback, I believe this was for the right side, but I could be wrong. ( It's been awhile )
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,181
    edited 2014-01-31 17:52
    Let me verify what you are saying.

The instructions ( For wiring ) on the book for the IR sensors are wrong, and one of the sensors is fried?

IF so, I can confirm that. One of my sensors either fried or isn't right cause it won't send feedback, I believe this was for the right side, but I could be wrong. ( It's been awhile )

Hello!
    That's it in a big shell.

I originally wanted to apply one of those sensors towards my latest project. See the one on three devices and a stamp. Essentially the idea was one of having an ordinary IR sensor see a (classic) remote control, thence store the output in an appropriate variable. Then that variable gets picked up by the shift one in place of the X place holder.

From there it would be a reasonably easy step towards translating the output into something almost meaningful. :innocent: