Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Awsome Robotic Spider — Parallax Forums

Awsome Robotic Spider

LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
edited 2014-01-22 11:12 in Robotics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vVblGlIMgw

It uses 26 servos and is controlled by an XMOS device.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-01-22 06:41
    Leon,
    You might have missed erco' post on 1/20 . (#19)

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/151632-Spike-the-Spider-Robot?highlight=Spider

It does have amazing moves.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2014-01-22 06:47
    It uses inverse kinematics, which needs lots of computation.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-01-22 07:24
    Leon wrote: »
    It uses inverse kinematics, which needs lots of computation.

I didn't know that spider used an XMOS device. Interesting.

My little hexapod uses Lonesock's F32 to calculate inverse kinematic positions for each of the 18 servos. The videos I've made so far use mirrored actions on the limbs but the action doesn't need to be mirrored.

As it is now, the program controlling the hexapod computes these IK positions at the 50Hz refresh rate the servos use. I think if I were to add a couple more legs, I might need to add another cog to the task of calculating IK positions.

I've been working on programming the cool Q4 controller Paul K developed. The Q4 has four joysticks which Paul designed to control his hexapods. Here's a link to Paul's video.

Paul's hexapod is running on different code than mine (I wanted to write my own IK stuff).

I think the Propeller could control the cool spider in post #1.

I now have a XMOS chip but all I can do is blink LEDs with it. I can control a hexapod with a Propeller. For me, the Propeller is still my favorite microcontroller.

@Leon, do you know of a board that's comparable to the one used in the spider? I would be curious to know how the calculation speeds compare with the Prop.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-01-22 07:24
    Look at THIS really neat conversion of an $8 robot toy to an autonomous robot using a PARALLAX product!!

Erco's robot is of interest to this forum because of the products it uses and the fact that most members can afford it and work with it as hobbyists. It's actually something you could use with kids in a middle school or high school setting.

There are some really good example of hexapods and spider like robots using the Parallax Propeller also!!

Well done Erco!!!
    edited 2014-01-22 07:36
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Look at THIS really neat conversion of an $8 robot toy to an autonomous robot using a PARALLAX product!!

There may be Parallax products in the robot but I think heretic erco used Picaxe as the controller.
    Erco's robot is of interest to this forum because of the products it uses and the fact that most members can afford it and work with it as hobbyists. It's actually something you could use with kids in a middle school or high school setting.

There are some really good example of hexapods and spider like robots using the Parallax Propeller also!!

Well done Erco!!!

Agreed. I mentioned two Propeller controlled hexapods but there's another one made with inexpensive parts (though it didn't work very well). My Popsicle stick hexapod.

Skip to 0:30 to see it walk.
    edited 2014-01-22 07:46
    Duane Degn wrote: »

@Leon, do you know of a board that's comparable to the one used in the spider? I would be curious to know how the calculation speeds compare with the Prop.

Sorry, no. I checked the Robugtix web site, and looked at the documentation, but there was no information on the board. The kit was mentioned on Twitter by XMOS.
    edited 2014-01-22 07:48
    There may be Parallax products in the robot but I think heretic erco used Picaxe as the controller.

My bad, I guess I posted this in the WRONG forum! :smile: I knew erco hadn't used a Propeller but I at least thought he had used a BS1 or BS2!
    I mentioned two Propeller controlled hexapods but there's another one made with inexpensive parts (though it didn't work very well). My Popsicle stick hexapod.

Skip to 0:30 to see it walk.

Duane, you should get an award for your use of popsicle sticks! Thanks for adding it to the thread!
    edited 2014-01-22 07:59
    Duane, you should get an award for your use of popsicle sticks!

I did. Paul K. sent me one of his hexapod kits.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-01-22 08:29
    Well done Erco!!!

Jeepers Rick, you are quick to praise, but Duane is correct about my bot using "another" controller for the spider for size limitations. But fear not, I never stray far from Parallax products. Especially since I received my big box of robot parts yesterday to build a plywood MadeUSA!
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-01-22 09:38
    Leon wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vVblGlIMgw

It uses 26 servos and is controlled by an XMOS device.
    And if Bill Henning doesn't do something better (he won't), then your other claim stands?
    edited 2014-01-22 09:49
    Of course it does. :)
    edited 2014-01-22 09:49
    Not that anyone saying the spider robot was beyond the Propeller, but just in case anyone is wondering, I'm very sure the Propeller is very capable of controlling the spider as shown in the video.

Edit: I need to change my avatar. The Heat Miser makes too many things I say sound grumpy.
    edited 2014-01-22 10:23
    jazzed wrote: »
    And if Bill Henning doesn't do something better (he won't), then your other claim stands?

Does this spider use a Raspberry Pi some place? If not, then Bill's claim is still perfectly valid: "...the most advanced robot controller for Pi" :smile:
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2014-01-22 10:46
    Lots of good videos of walkers on this channel:
    edited 2014-01-22 11:12
    W9GFO wrote: »
    Lots of good videos of walkers on this channel:

I'll say. Zenta has lots of amazing bots. I keep hoping to come up with something approaching his level of awesomeness. I don't think the Popsicle stick hexapod does this.