Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BOE Servo connectors — Parallax Forums

BOE Servo connectors

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
edited 2014-01-27 08:12 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
Can someone with more talent than I properly refute this one: Servos and the family of gadgets that Parallax have created share the same style connectors. Does this mean that to use one of the four on the BOE for a LCD display [Part number 27977] all I do is just change the pin setting to match that one?

Idle thoughts on a cold and very snowy evening in NYC.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-01-21 15:46
    Buck, you can connect devices like our serial LCD to the servo headers on the BOE as long as the voltage jumper in between the blocks is set to Vdd and not Vin. This should be the default setting, but you should check before connecting anything just to be sure. And yes, the signals up on the servo headers are the same as the ones on the side of the breadboard that share the same number.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-01-21 15:46
    Yes, the "servo" connectors are general purpose connectors. They are not exclusively for servos, but are used for many of the Parallax three pin products.

EDIT: Dang Chis beat me by 30 seconds.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
    edited 2014-01-21 16:46
    Publison wrote: »
    Yes, the "servo" connectors are general purpose connectors. They are not exclusively for servos, but are used for many of the Parallax three pin products.

EDIT: Dang Chis beat me by 30 seconds.

Hello!
    Okay guys that makes sense, I'll do it that way.
    Buck, you can connect devices like our serial LCD to the servo headers on the BOE as long as the voltage jumper in between the blocks is set to Vdd and not Vin. This should be the default setting, but you should check before connecting anything just to be sure. And yes, the signals up on the servo headers are the same as the ones on the side of the breadboard that share the same number.

I did check the board out before using it. It did need a jumper. Where it went off to, I am not sure. I picked up a second hand BOE (Serial) in triplicate over the weekend.

And as it happens I've been going over how the whole business is wired so that's next.

And you both get to share the prize. Be prepared for that trip......
    edited 2014-01-21 23:45

Hello!
    Okay more news. Both programs work. The big problem with number two was remembering to change all locations where the output pin is for the display. Once that was done, it worked the same way when it was written to run on the original target, a Home Work Board. I've also followed the same idea from the first which used the supplied framework as its base. That of assigning the output pin to a name.

I still owe you both your choice of food items. I'm thinking of either knishes from a certain maker of the original, or really expensive sandwiches from that deli made famous in that extremely funny comedy.

Also donuts and coffee from not DD (Oddly enough the firm who's coffee makes you think of a diner trying hard but failing, has the initials of a cartoon character with very questionable ethics and not much honesty.) but either the place originally started by a chap who played a game originally invented in Russia during the Winter, but successfully transplanted to the US via Canada by the tribesmen of the Inuit community, (same crowd exists in Siberia.....) or from Krispy Kreme. Instead of those two meal items in case either of you aren't the adventurous sort when it comes to food and New York.

This is the video of the thing at work:
    [video=youtube_share;fg-ZiXpSW60]

And this is a photo of it:
    Photo_012314_001.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 75K
  • 72sonett72sonett Posts: 82
    edited 2014-01-27 00:48
    This is the video of the thing at work:
    "This video is private." :frown:
    edited 2014-01-27 07:31
    72sonett wrote: »
    "This video is private." :frown:

Hello!
    I rarely use that video service. I consider it to be lower then the lowest levels on any NYC subway. So I allowed it to keep that setting. I didn't expect someone else to "want" to see it. It's been reset. Try again in a few minutes.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-01-27 08:12
    Buck, you don't owe me anything. :cool: Just sharing your progress and following up is good enough for me. Glad you got things working. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask them.