Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LightSensorValues.bs2 - 'Robotics w/BoeBot', Ver. 3.0, Chapt 2, pg 196 — Parallax Forums

LightSensorValues.bs2 - 'Robotics w/BoeBot', Ver. 3.0, Chapt 2, pg 196

trookstrooks Posts: 228
edited 2014-02-01 04:01 in BASIC Stamp
I am using a Bd. of Ed. USB - Rev D with an external P/S. - Vss to Vdd is 5.01 V

When I shade the left sensor I get a 500 reading the same as when I shade the right sensor. I get intermittent negative readings as I creep the shade over the left sensor but it eventually loses the negative and
appears to be giving positive readings up to 500. Also light value reading with either sensor completely covered hardly changes at all except to _increase_ by 4 to 6. All this is contrary to what the book is saying.

I know the debug screen will show negative values from when I move the Bot around.

Also the highest light reading I can get with the sensors almost touching the bulb in my desk lamp is 275 to 280.

There is a whole bunch of code in this program and I am not yet fluent in PBasic.

Where do I go from here. Unless I can figure this out I will never be able to use the sensors for navigation.

Comments

• trookstrooks Posts: 228
    edited 2014-02-01 04:01
    Well,

Here I am talking to myself just like I do many times each day.

Life was interesting for a bit and distracted me from my classes.

When I got back and there was no answer I decided to continue on since part of what I was getting resembled what I should be getting.

The first thing I did was to set the Boe-Bot up on a small box so that the wheels were not touching my desk surface. I then unplugged the battery pack and plugged in a 5V P/S. I've decided that close will be good enough since all I really need is to verify my coding. Not only were the batteries an unnecessary expense they were frustrating all my careful calibrations by causing things to change as they discharged.

I put little red Avery dots on the wheels to confirm that they were moving and in the right direction.

Eventually I came to the part of the lesson where we learn about adjusting sensitivity and poof my question was moot. Y'all are so very wise to let me find it on my own.

I've decided to keep the 'wheels up' and 'close enough' attitude and continue on.

Thanks again for your wisdom,

Tim