Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Little green buttons are a bad interface. — Parallax Forums

Little green buttons are a bad interface.

John KauffmanJohn Kauffman Posts: 653
edited 2014-02-01 13:23 in Accessories
edit: I should not have used a negative in the thread name, but I can't edit that now. The Prop scope is great and the two suggestions in the post will make it easier to use. >>>

I've been working with Propscope ver 2.0.5 downloaded from Plax site this morning.

Beautiful machine - I really like it. I have two suggestions for the interface.

Several user input interfaces are toggle buttons. Reading them is giving me fits. When I look at one I have to figure out if it is slightly bright green or slightly dusky green.

The tiny Run button requires an extra second of mouse movement to get exactly on the button - annoying.

My suggestions:
Make buttons turn red-green for toggle states
Make run button at least as large as Trigger buttons and even bigger would be better. A square of about 1cm x 1cm would be much better than a button for this, the most frequently used object on the screen.

Thanks.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-01-18 12:55
    I

Make buttons turn red-green for toggle states
    Make run button at least as large as Trigger buttons and even bigger would be better. A square of about 1cm x 1cm would be much better than a button for this, the most frequently used object on the screen.

Thanks.

Red/Green seems to make sense to me also. Good call.

Jim
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2014-01-28 19:14
    Hi,
    It's tough making user interface changes once all the documentation/manuals have already been completed- if Parallax is ok with it I can make the change.

However, you can make the change yourself!

Have a look in your "program files/propscope/view/v4base" directory. Those images are used to generate the interface- much like images on a website. Simply replace the "Off.png" with a red version and you should be set!

To change the size of the "Run" button, look for example at the 9th line of "1Oscilloscope.xml" in "program files/propscope/view/". You can change the "size" argument to whatever you want...
    Hanno
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-01-28 19:24
    That seems like a good solution, Hanno.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2014-01-30 07:50
    Hanno wrote: »
    However, you can make the change yourself!

This is a nifty "feature". How radical can the changes be before basic opeartion begins to break?
    edited 2014-01-31 06:37
    I did a quick edit on the "Off" button in Photoshop. Just replace the Off.PNG with this one.

Jim
    115 x 115 - 9K
    edited 2014-01-31 06:50
    Screen Shots:

PropScope LED.jpg
    900 x 250 - 163K
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2014-02-01 13:23
    Well done Jim, that looks great!

PropScope is built on the library I developed for ViewPort. People have created all sorts of user interfaces for propeller projects with ViewPort so you shouldn't have any problems customising graphics by changing files or editing the xml files. ViewPort comes with a "Designer" tool to make this editing easier, but you can also use any text editor.
    Hanno