Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller add-on for Raspberry Pi: RoboPi.. the most advanced robot controller for Pi — Parallax Forums

Propeller add-on for Raspberry Pi: RoboPi.. the most advanced robot controller for Pi

Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
edited 2015-11-05 16:07 in Propeller 1
Hi guys,

My latest Propeller based board, RoboPi, is now in stock, and available for sale.

Product page on my site: http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/robopi/

Robot_Sandwich_0844_web.JPG

(click on thumbnail for larger image)

This photo shows a Robot Sandwich consisting of:

- RoboPi on top
- EZasPi prototyping board
- Raspberry Pi Model B
- EZasPi (B) prototyping board

Plenty of prototyping space :)

The prototype run was 100% functional, and I've ordered production boards. Now I just have to figure out the BOM cost so I can price it :)

RoboPi has:

- Propeller running at 80Mhz or 100Mhz
- 24 servo connectors for digital I/O (P0-7, P8-15, P16-P23)
- P0-7 & P8-15 groups can select external servo power or 5V from the Pi header
- three 10 pin I/O headers (3v3, Vss, P0, ... , P7) standard for my boards
- 32KB or 64KB EEPROM
- MCP3008 or MCP3208 analog to digital converter
- servo style connectors for AIN0-AIN7
- 4 pin I2C expansion connector for the prop
- 4 pin I2C expansion connector for the Pi
- 5 pin comm connector / 4 pin propplug connector for stand-alone operation without a Pi
- on-board 3.3V regulator from Pi 5V
- when configured for 100Mhz, 64KB EEPROM, MCP3208 it is RoboProp software compatible (except uSD, L298)

RoboPi supports SimpleIDE for C and Spin programming with SimpleIDE running on the Raspberry Pi - no PropPlug needed!

RoboPi can also work as a stand-alone robot controller (without a Pi) when supplied with a regulated 5V supply using PropPlug for programming.

Supported Platforms

RoboPi is supporting the following platforms: (and has been tested with them)

- Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
- Raspberry Pi Model A
- Raspberry Pi Model A+
- Raspberry Pi Model B
- Raspberry Pi Model B+
- Banana Pi
- Banana Pro
- LeMaker Guitar with Base Board
- ODROID-C1
- ODROID-XU4 with Shifter Shied
- MIPS CI20
- stand alone operation (needs 5V, PropPlug)

Untested, but should work "out of the Box" with:

- Raspberry Pi Compute Module (connect 5V, GND, TX, RX, GPIO#17)
- Banana Pi R1
- ODROID-W (connect 5V, GND, TX, RX, GPIO#17)

More supported platforms early 2015!

(including Banana Pi M2)

Pricing

The following pricing is for 1-9 kits per order. Please contact me for educational or distributor quantity pricing.

RoboPi Lite Kit: $24.95USD + s/h

This package is intended for hobbyists who already have the IC's, or schools/clubs/distributors who prefer to source their own integrated circuits.

- printed circuit board
- extra tall stacking header
- nylon spacers, screws, nuts for the two mounting holes
- 6.250MHz crystal
- all the parts EXECPT for Propeller, MCP3208, 25LC512 (Digikey.com pricing for this line was $21+s/h yesterday)
- DOES NOT INCLUDE A RASPBERY PI

RoboPi Full Kit: $49.95USD + s/h

- everything included in the Lite Kit
- Propeller P8X32A-D40 chip
- MCP3208 12 bit ADC
- 24LC512 EEPROM *NEW* pre-programmed with latest firmware
- DOES NOT INCLUDE A RASPBERY PI

Shipping & Handling

for one only RoboPi Lite Kit s/h is $8.00USD to the continental US, no insurance, no tracking

for one or two RoboPi kits (Lite or Full) s/h is $16.50 to the continental US, $100 insurance, tracking number provided

Please contact me for shipping quotes for other destinations or for a larger number of kits with your address, as for larger quantities I use "Expedited Post" for which I need the destination and number of kits. At three kits and up, Expedited ends up costing less on a per-kit basis than the options above.

Shipping to Canada is a bit cheaper (as I am based in Canada), shipping outside of North America costs more.

Availability

RoboPi is now available for sale.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have! I'll be happy to respond here.

Best Regards,

Bill

p.s.

Currently RoboPi is known to work with:

- Raspberry Pi Model A
- Raspberry Pi Model B
- Raspberry Pi Model B+
- +5VDC & PropPlug (stand-alone mode)
- Banana Pi
800 x 698 - 220K

Comments

• Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-01-20 13:51
    I've published the product page for RoboPi at

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/robopi/

There are a couple of more photos, and some more details.

RoboPi also works great as a small stand-alone Propeller development board or robot controller, however using it with a Raspberry Pi is a great fit - SimpleIDE lets the Pi program RoboPi in pasm, Spin, and C/C++ without a PropPlug!
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-01-20 14:01
    I've published the product page for RoboPi at

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/robopi/

There are a couple of more photos, and some more details.

RoboPi also works great as a small stand-alone Propeller development board or robot controller, however using it with a Raspberry Pi is a great fit - SimpleIDE lets the Pi program RoboPi in pasm, Spin, and C/C++ without a PropPlug!
    Is it possible to order one yet? What's the price?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2014-01-20 14:11
    It could be argued that the 500 MIPS XMOS startKIT is the most advanced robot controller add-on for the Raspberry PI:

http://www.xmos.com/startkit
    edited 2014-01-20 14:12
    I am working on the BOM, so I can figure out the price, I should have the price in about two days (waiting for price updates from vendors). It will be cheaper than RoboProp as RoboPi does not have uSD, L298 motor driver, or 5V regulation.

The production boards are supposed to arrive end of this month, but I do have three extra prototype PCB.

Currently I am considering three SKU's:

1) complete kit, with 512Kbit EEPROM, Propeller, MCP3208 12 bit ADC

2) complete kit, with 256Kbit EEPROM, Propeller, MCP3008 10 bit ADC

3) "lite" kit - everything except EEPROM, Propeller, and ADC

All kits would come with a 6.25Mhz crystal in order to maintain software compatibility with RoboProp.

The lite kit would be intended for people who already have Propeller parts - that way I can offer a better price, and not have to maintain as much inventory.
    David Betz wrote: »
    Is it possible to order one yet? What's the price?
    edited 2014-01-20 14:13
    If it had servo headers and could control a lot of servos, I'd agree with you - but it is not a robot controller, but a very neat dev board, so I am afraid I can't agree.

They sent me one, I'll play with it soon.
    Leon wrote: »
    It could be argued that the 500 MIPS XMOS startKIT is the most advanced robot controller add-on for the Raspberry PI:

edited 2014-01-20 14:18
    I am working on the BOM, so I can figure out the price, I should have the price in about two days (waiting for price updates from vendors). It will be cheaper than RoboProp as RoboPi does not have uSD, L298 motor driver, or 5V regulation.

The production boards are supposed to arrive end of this month, but I do have three extra prototype PCB.

Currently I am considering three SKU's:

1) complete kit, with 512Kbit EEPROM, Propeller, MCP3208 12 bit ADC

2) complete kit, with 256Kbit EEPROM, Propeller, MCP3008 10 bit ADC

3) "lite" kit - everything except EEPROM, Propeller, and ADC

All kits would come with a 6.25Mhz crystal in order to maintain software compatibility with RoboProp.

The lite kit would be intended for people who already have Propeller parts - that way I can offer a better price, and not have to maintain as much inventory.
    I guess I'd be interested in the "lite" kit. I'm sure you'll let us know when they're available.
    edited 2014-01-20 14:22
    If it had servo headers and could control a lot of servos, I'd agree with you - but it is not a robot controller, but a very neat dev board, so I am afraid I can't agree.

They sent me one, I'll play with it soon.

It just needs a suitable low-cost I/O sliceCARD fitted with servo headers.
    edited 2014-01-20 14:25
    As soon as I have the costs figured out, I will definitely update this thread! (I am guessing tomorrow or wednesday) I'm hunting for better quantity pricing for parts used on the boards.

If you don't want to wait for production boards, I could ship a kit to you with one of the prototype run pcb's - there were no changes to the production board.
    David Betz wrote: »
    I guess I'd be interested in the "lite" kit. I'm sure you'll let us know when they're available.
    edited 2014-01-20 14:32
    Well, the startkit can take one slicecard... but a quick google does not show any servo header slice cards.

I also don't think the four analog inputs can take 0-5V, nor do they provide 3 pin servo style headers.

Basically, the starterkit is not a robot controller by any stretch of the imagination, and would need two small daughter cards to provide the appropriate headers.

Therefore, it cannot be argued that it is the most advanced robot controller for the Pi - as it is not a robot controller.

It definitely is the most advanced Xmos add-on for the Pi :-)
    It just needs a suitable low-cost I/O sliceCARD fitted with servo headers.
    edited 2014-01-20 14:47
    I was just pointing out the claim made for the board appeared to be false.
    edited 2014-01-20 14:49
    Well, the startkit can take one slicecard... but a quick google does not show any servo header slice cards.

I also don't think the four analog inputs can take 0-5V, nor do they provide 3 pin servo style headers.

Basically, the starterkit is not a robot controller by any stretch of the imagination, and would need two small daughter cards to provide the appropriate headers.

Therefore, it cannot be argued that it is the most advanced robot controller for the Pi - as it is not a robot controller.

It definitely is the most advanced Xmos add-on for the Pi :-)

It wouldn't be hard to design a sliceCARD with plenty of servo headers.
    edited 2014-01-20 15:04
    Leon,

I know you enjoy creating controversy, but it is your claim that is provably false - I stand by my claim as it is true in the current market.

For all I know someone will have a greenforth64 controller in six month - than that would take the title :)
    edited 2014-01-20 15:06
    Cool!

Why don't you do it?

At the same time, drill some holes in the startkit so it can securely mount on the Pi. Or make an adapter plate.

Let's see, one securely mounted board - that exists - vs three boards, that flop around, two of which don't exist. Tough choice.
    It wouldn't be hard to design a sliceCARD with plenty of servo headers.
    edited 2014-01-20 15:17
    Which two don't exist? I make it one - the sliceCARD. I have started designing a sliceCARD, but it won't be for hobbyist servos.
    edited 2014-01-20 15:31
    The startkit does not have mounting holes matching the Pi test mount holes, so when it is directly plugged into the Pi it is not exactly secure.

1) servo-slice does not exist
    2) secure mount board does not exist
    Which two don't exist? I make it one - the sliceCARD. I have started designing a sliceCARD, but it won't be for hobbyist servos.
    edited 2014-01-20 15:32
    As soon as I have the costs figured out, I will definitely update this thread! (I am guessing tomorrow or wednesday) I'm hunting for better quantity pricing for parts used on the boards.

If you don't want to wait for production boards, I could ship a kit to you with one of the prototype run pcb's - there were no changes to the production board.
    Well, if they're identical how could I go wrong? :-)
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,155
    edited 2014-01-20 21:43

but your own posts undermine that claim, by proving the StartKIT is incomplete, and XMOS do not claim their StartKIT is a Robot controller.

You can claim that XMOS have a daughter card containing a XMOS controller, compatible with the Raspberry Pi connector.

The XMOS startKIT does look to be good value for money, I see they list the device alone ~ US$11.17

Their SliceKITS, rather less so, with a GPIO Slice at $40. Seems to be where they make the money back ?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-01-21 00:19
    jmg,
    The XMOS startKIT does look to be good value for money, I see they list the device alone ~ US$11.17
    What are you comparing against?
    Most folks I've talked to about this think the StartKit is amazingly cheap at $14.99
    With the possibility to run 8 independent, timing deterministic threads at 62.5MHz and 64K RAM it's comparable to a Propeller in many ways.
    Is there a Propeller board from Parallax at that kind of price?

I do think Parallax should have made a Propeller board for Pi users already, a big opportunity there.
    edited 2014-01-21 01:15
    jmg wrote: »
    but your own posts undermine that claim, by proving the StartKIT is incomplete, and XMOS do not claim their StartKIT is a Robot controller.

You can claim that XMOS have a daughter card containing a XMOS controller, compatible with the Raspberry Pi connector.

Their SliceKITS, rather less so, with a GPIO Slice at $40. Seems to be where they make the money back ?

XMOS does claim that the startKIT is suitable for robotics:

Obviously,suitable motor controllers have to be added, as with any controller.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2014-01-21 02:53
    XMOS does claim that the startKIT is suitable for robotics:

Wow, just wow, this is still going on. It can form the component of a robot controller (industrial or hobby type) but it is not a robot controller and although it can be interfaced easily it is not FOR the RP.

So yes you could create a more powerful robot controller for the RP using the Xmos however the startkit isn't one as it stands. And if you use your logic I'm not sure the Xmos would be the most powerful, plenty of industrial controllers could interface with the RP via ethernet.

Is it really so terrible to consider a robot controller as something specifically designed for controlling robots? And perhaps in context consider it to be for use with those terribly unprofessional hobby servos with interfaces built in for that use.

On balance I wonder what is worse, a slightly and inconsequentially wrong title or another thread full of inevitable Xmos arguments.

Graham
  • Kerry SKerry S Posts: 163
    edited 2014-01-21 05:07
    That is a great looking board Bill!

You are right, that thing will be a BEAST for doing complex robotics systems.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-01-21 05:22
    Bill,

Thanks for making this a through hole kit. I enjoy building boards and last year, we were looking for buildable boards for my 4H robotics kids. They ended up picking a Freeduino kit for a number of other reasons but this would be a fun on to build!

I'm going to bust open my piggy bank for one of these!

<SOAPBOX> Seriously? Can we at least let a forum member have a product announcement on the Parallax forum without have to introduce XMOS and other negativity. IF you buy one of these from BIll AND put it through some trials against potential serious competitors AND find it lacking or grossly misstating its claims, then I think you are in a position to comment. Better yet, if you are able to design boards, bring your own version of a Propeller robot controller to market and let them compete. At this point in the game, it's just a bunch of negativity and some need to stir up debate or seek attention or something. This isn't the place or time. There is no benefit or respect for the "community" in these types of comments.</SOAPBOX>
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2014-01-21 05:28
    How do you see this combination of devices would be programmed? For example:
    Do you envision any inter-operation between the propeller board and the pi?
    Or would the pi be running some kind of "upper level brain" program that would interpret the surroundings and then send commands the propeller board?
    Or is the propeller running autonomously and just dumping "log data" to the pi?
    Do you see the first applications with the pi be running a python program or some other compiled program?

I think this is a neat combination of boards, and I am simply trying to understand potential use cases for this "micro-system", and also what problems this combination is meant to be a solution for, and finally how a combined platform like this would likely be programmed to address the problem domain.
    edited 2014-01-21 05:32
    Coca-Cola - "It's the real thing".

Carlsberg - "Probably the best beer in the world
    "

Muhammad Ali - "I am the greatest"

Bill - "The most advanced robot controller for the Pi"
    [h=1][/h]Sounds fair enough:)
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,217
    edited 2014-01-21 06:04
    Excellent looking work!

re: trolls    

"Never wise up a chump"

edited 2014-01-21 06:40
    TinkersALot,
    Do you envision any inter-operation between the propeller board and the pi?
    It's kind of pointless if they don't interact don't you think?
    Or would the pi be running some kind of "upper level brain" program that would interpret the surroundings and then send commands the propeller board?
    That's how I see it.

The higher level functions of your robot are running on the Pi. The low level I/O and real-time interfacing to your sensors and actuators, PWN servos, wheel encoders, Pings, etc etc are handled by the Propeller.

Basically you can see the Propeller as a glorified and very flexible I/O expander for the Pi. But more than that it can handle any real-time processing you need which the Pi cannot.
    Or is the propeller running autonomously and just dumping "log data" to the
    pi?
    That is one way to go if you just want logging, via ethernet or WIFI or attached USB devices.
    Do you see the first applications with the pi be running a python program or some other compiled program?
    Who cares? Everyone has the favourite languages. They might be wanting to use existing libraries and other software in whatever language they are.
    And finally how a combined platform like this would likely be programmed to address the problem domain.
    You can develop your Pi software on the Pi. It's is a full up Linux operating system with many languages and IDE available.

You can develop your Propeller software on the Pi in C/C++ or Spin using SimpleIDE.

Practical examples:

You want to drive many PWM RC servos. Easy on the Prop. Not really possible from a Pi on it's own.

You want to drive a LED matrix. When you are talking hundreds of RGB LEDS the Pi is at a loss. (Despite the "robotics" bias of Bill's announcement this thing has many other uses.)
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2014-01-21 07:01
    Hello Heater -- With these questions, I am trying to also gauge the effort required to put together a working software system based on this set of boards -- and how practical it is to consider a working sample as well. For example, if the propeller is going to accept commands from the pi, then that implies (to me at least) a serial link between the two where the pi will send some kind of "command structure" (maybe as simple as a specific set of command strings) to the propeller -- which the propeller will execute (drive a motor for 'n' seconds for example). At the same time (for safety sake) the propeller must be able to report "an interrupt level" message to the pi (i-robot appear to have slammed into the wall) so that the upper level brain can issue new commands to the propeller. It sounds like loads of fun -- and also a reasonably big/complex project too. So far as what tools will be used on the pi -- I suppose that really depends on what competencies are expected for users of this system -- and that may matter in hitting the right sweet spot in the market.

I think this is a neat board set -- and given the right application(s) creates some very interesting possibilities. Now, if the price is right.....
    edited 2014-01-21 07:32
    I go to sleep and the thread grows... and grows...

David:

true, as the prototype and production boards are the same, you can't go wrong!

Guys:

Kerry S:

Thank you. I am working on two bots with the RoboPi/RaspberryPi combo, I'll post updates here.

mindrobots:

Thank you. I can sell throughole kits at a lower cost than assembled boards, and with todays economy, I know costs are very significant to schools, clubs and individuals.

TinkersALot:

more after this catch-up post :)

Heater:

:) And your answer to TinkersALot was right on.

T Chap:

Thank you!
    edited 2014-01-21 07:33
    TinkersALot,
    ....if the propeller is going to accept commands from the pi, then that implies (to me at least) a serial link between the two where the pi will send some kind of "command structure" (maybe as simple as a specific set of command strings) to the propeller -- which the propeller will execute (drive a motor for 'n' seconds for example).
    That's how I would do it.

The Pi has a UART interface on it's GPIO connectors. Which this board mates to. That is how you load the Propeller programs from the Pi. Of course this can be used as a communication link when your Propeller is running, just as we do when working from the PC via PropPlug or whatever. Not just commands but status back from the Prop/hardware, whatever.

I believe it would also be possible to use the I2C/SPI on that GPIO as well with a bit more work.
    At the same time (for safety sake) the propeller must be able to report "an interrupt level" message to the pi
    Interesting idea. There is no reason not to link one or more of the Pi GPIO pins to the Prop for such signalling. The signals could be used on the Pi either by the same program that is normally driving the Prop or by some other "watchdog" process.
    edited 2014-01-21 07:38
    Bill,
    I go to sleep and the thread grows... and grows...
    Rust never sleeps.