Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Xbee Kit + Activity Bot — Parallax Forums

Xbee Kit + Activity Bot

sdiguanasdiguana Posts: 11
edited 2014-01-18 14:45 in Accessories
So i'm quickly realizing the project I want to do is going to need significantly more computational muscle than my little propeller will likely give... I'd like to set up a link between MATLAB on my PC and the bot out on the floor so that I can control it remotely while I am developing its control system.

Would the XBee 802.15.4 Starter Kit provide the connection I am looking for?

The activity bot i have is using Rev A, 32910 as its board.

Comments

• banjobanjo Posts: 443
    edited 2014-01-16 12:53
    sdiguana wrote: »
    So i'm quickly realizing the project I want to do is going to need significantly more computational muscle than my little propeller will likely give... I'd like to set up a link between MATLAB on my PC and the bot out on the floor so that I can control it remotely while I am developing its control system.

The activity bot i have is using Rev A, 32910 as its board.

I have no experience of that XBee model, but be aware of that there's a XBee WiFi model available. There are threads about this in this Wireless forum and in the Propeller 1 forum. I've myself got the product.
    -Thomas
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2014-01-16 19:18
    That would require you tell us about the location, the distance, any obstructions and the amount and type of data you need to transmit. Do that and perhaps we can help.
  • sdiguanasdiguana Posts: 11
    edited 2014-01-17 06:29
    Well, the goal is that I could operate the bot indoors on the floor in my house, say within 50 ft of the PC. I am working on the techniques provided in udacity's AI Driving course, at least as best i can muddle through them.

Ultimately the goal is to be able to write my programs in matlab and command the bot from it, i'm still quite novice on C (don't know a thing about spin, realized the book in that kit is all spin). But I can usually work my way through a problem in matlab.

Data: I want to have the robot send its IO state back to the PC (incl sensor data).
    PC will send back to the bot only wheel velocity commands initially, maybe later i can get fancier.

eventually i'd like to send standard def analog greyscale video back, but i figure that is a 2nd xmitter, and only needs to go one way. (long ways off from this)
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2014-01-18 14:45
    In that case the xbee's should work.