edited 2014-02-24 10:06 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Will simple ide run on Windows Vista? Thanks

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-01-15 08:28
    It should.
  • Leo BotsLeo Bots Posts: 8
    edited 2014-02-20 10:16
    I've encountered a problem when trying to run a C++ program in Simple IDE (on a PC w/Win 7). The program was a simple display message type like "Hello world" , but the build failed because the compiler did not recognize cout and endl. In the Project Manager I had C++ checked as compiler, CMM Main RAM checked, and both 32-bit doubles and extensions checked under Compiler Options. What version of C++ is the IDE prepared to work with? Please advise.
    edited 2014-02-20 10:32
    Leo Bots wrote: »
    I've encountered a problem when trying to run a C++ program in Simple IDE (on a PC w/Win 7). The program was a simple display message type like "Hello world" , but the build failed because the compiler did not recognize cout and endl. In the Project Manager I had C++ checked as compiler, CMM Main RAM checked, and both 32-bit doubles and extensions checked under Compiler Options. What version of C++ is the IDE prepared to work with? Please advise.
    You can use cout if you like, but must have a board that is capable of supporting it like the C3 which has external memory.

The standard C++ library is simply huge. I seriously suggest avoiding it.

Several people have enjoyed success with C++ on a simple Propeller board. There are several options. This is just one.
    edited 2014-02-21 06:48
    Jazzed,

Thanks or your prompt response. If I'm understanding you correctly the Propeller Activity Board doesn't provide enough memory to work with the libraries that C++ usually requires. I was only experimenting so continuing to work with C as the primary language for the Activity Bot won't pose a problem. I've discovered that C seems to be the preferred language among most robotics engineers and I'm beginning to understand why, but a discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of different languages when applied to robotics would make an interesting thread for this forum. I'd like to learn more about this topic. Lastly, I 'd like to suggest to the folks a Parallax that someone flesh out in more detail the response that you provided here and include it in the Activity Bot Simple IDE User Guide.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-02-22 14:18
    C++ the language is just fine. The libraries that come with it are not. They are huge.

But is quite possible to use C++ in small embedded systems. The Arduino is programmed in C++ after all.
    edited 2014-02-24 07:23
    Thanks Heater, I discovered that the sites jazzed references at the bottom of his letter were helpful, particularly those that lead to the Propeller GCC Documentation site and the FAQs page. However, most of this material is not for beginners.
    edited 2014-02-24 08:53
    Leo Bots wrote: »
    Thanks Heater, I discovered that the sites jazzed references at the bottom of his letter were helpful, particularly those that lead to the Propeller GCC Documentation site and the FAQs page. However, most of this material is not for beginners.
    The Parallax learn.parallax.com site is for beginners.
  • edited 2014-02-24 10:06
    Yeah, it's currently for C, but it is for beginners and has lots of fun stuff to try:

http://learn.parallax.com/propeller-c-tutorials

Andy