Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #1: iPad to ActivityBot - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #1: iPad to ActivityBot

Comments

• tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2014-01-29 08:17
    Brian
    First what is the objective of your program?
    To type on the SimpleIDE terminal and have it echoed back from Activity Board.

SimpleIDE already has it's internal terminal connected to pins 31,30 and you do not
    need to open it yourself to talk to it.
    In SimpleText there are several functions at the beginning of the list that do not take
    a text_t device as the first parameter. Those functions send to the internal terminal.
    Look at my post #170 where I use print Hi There and putchar to clear the screen and
    print again in the loop to print what came back from the Activity Board.

Note that for the serial connection to the XBEE I do create a device and use open to
    tell it which pins and what baud rate and then I use the functions in SimpleText in the lower
    half that take a device as the first parameter.

It looks like you stripped the program down to where it is not a valid program and is time to start
    over with something simple and build from there.

What post is Banjo's code you started with I am sure I saw it and I believe he swapped out the terminal
    on 31,30 but ask to be sure I am looking at the same listing you are.

Tom
  • Ron SutcliffeRon Sutcliffe Posts: 420
    edited 2014-01-29 08:18
    Try

if(n = 5 )

Ron
    edited 2014-01-29 08:35
    Jeff
    I believe you are thinking of a set of messages with an id and data to send over to the AB.
    When you say 6 bytes and ASCII I am not sure what you mean. Actually it is all bytes whether
    binary or text chars but either the messages are all binary or all text strings like S-Records .

I was thinking about this yesterday, will post my experiment.
    Tom
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 840
    edited 2014-01-29 08:40
    Tom,
    I know that I've gotten of the beaten path from banjo's code ,but I'm trying to receive serial data and react to it. I called fdserial , to test out pointers ,then I want to receive one byte of data and if it's a "5" ,print out five. If it is not a 5 just keep echoing the input.

Ron,
    I believe (n = 5) means that "n" now is 5 and that (n == 5) is a test to see if n is equal to 5.

Thanks'
    Brian
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,530
    edited 2014-01-29 09:51
    Hi Tom, you are exactly right with the ID and the data packet. I am erring on the side of caution with this being a wireless setup.

The data is going back and forth just fine as it is but I wanted an extra step to ensure the synchronization is secure and I also wanted a simple checksum to verify the data. I have read about checksums, crc's and byte stuffing and I dont think we need anything as complex as what I have been reading about.

I would love to see what you can come up with, the way I am thinking is a fixed length data packet in both directions. At the moment I am sending and receiving 6 bytes each way and don't really visualize it being any longer.

Jeff
    edited 2014-01-29 09:56
    Brian

Yes, so you would think that the problem is the choice of input statement, but it
    produces the result as expected n=n+1 unless its five.

How many bytes form an integer (2, ? ) how many bytes form a char (1, ?)

I need to play with C again, its been a while.

Cheers

Ron
    edited 2014-01-29 10:22
    Ron,
    I put the n = n+1 in there just to see if the data was going though the if...else.

Brian
    edited 2014-01-29 10:42
    Yep n = n+1 makes for easy testing.

I even replaced the int n declaration to char n, to see if that changed anything, but no.

It makes no sense to me.

Back to lurking (:
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2014-01-29 11:15
    How many bytes form an integer (2, ? ) how many bytes form a char (1, ?)

int size is system dependent, but in PropGCC it's 4 bytes (and char is 1). I have a full unit tested list here: https://github.com/libpropeller/libpropeller/blob/master/libpropeller/gcc/gcc.test.h#L161
    edited 2014-01-29 14:54
    OHHH I should have known better , 53 makes it work (ascii code for 5). Thought I already tried that.

Brian
    edited 2014-01-29 14:55
    SRLM, makes sense.

@Brian

You are using if (n == 5) SB if (n == '5') Note single quotes to test for the character 5.

cheers

Ron
    edited 2014-01-29 15:00
    Cross Post

Ron
    edited 2014-01-29 16:24
    ok,
    Here is forward and reverse w/accel. Tech basic code and activity bot code. Yes I know it's simple ,but it works.

Brian

Edit: code with graphic ,sorry steve for stealing it.
    c
    c
    586B
    619 x 670 - 63K
    edited 2014-01-29 16:35
    Ron,
    Thanks' for the '5' info

Brian
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2014-01-30 14:46
    Hey all,

Throwing an error on the img.loaDIMage("aBot.jpg") because I've been unable to import the image into techBASIC.

Read the help files, no solution. Please tell me how you achieved this seemingly very simple task.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-01-30 15:12
    Ken,
    You need ITunes on your computer , plug iPad into desktop,select ipad in iTunes , select apps ,choose techBasic and drag jpeg in techBasic ,unplug iPad and it should work.

Brian
    1024 x 288 - 41K
    edited 2014-01-30 15:25
    Thanks Brian! That worked. Now I'm having a techBASIC runtime error on a=sensors.accel "Runtime error: Error while accessing file 1".

Just reading through their docs to find the cause of this error.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-01-30 15:33
    Solved the above error - moving on to making the WiFi connection!
    edited 2014-01-30 16:32
    Hi, I have been trying different graphics on the iPad also, just to visualize what the finished article could look like.

More importantly I have been trying techBasics error handling routines. I have to admit I spent more time on it than I expected, it took me a while to grasp what the manual was saying.

There are two possible error situations I wanted to handle in particular, both associated with the wifi connection. One is if for any reason the iPad did not receive all or part of the data packet and the second is if the wifi connection should drop out.

The objective is to be able to recover from the above without rebooting the app. I want to test it some more but number one seems to be done so now its on to number two.

The attached screen shot shows the app in an error condition where the transmission from the Prop was disabled. After re-enabling the transmission I was able to reconnect and continue as normal.

Another option now available is the ability to change IP and Port numbers, the app as I have it loads with the defaults shown in the screen shot which works with my XBee.

Jeff

@Ken some of the errors regarding file #1 are the errors I am dealing with now in the error handling routines. Also there was an issue with my spin file to begin with but I updated the zip file and I think that should be ok. Try with what you have and if you are still having problems I will attach the latest zip with images (I have not zipped it up yet)
    800 x 600 - 50K
    edited 2014-01-30 17:06
    Unsoundcode,

I've just now caught up to your ad-hoc example up above, and have the connection framework functioning very reliably. Yeah! Took me about two hours to properly set things up (I think the baud rate in your sample Spin program was 115K, but should be 9600, or matched to the XBee WiFi).

Even though the robot is doing nothing it's exciting to see that we've gotten this far. I've always assumed this wouldn't be possible for a bunch of reasons (gotta be an Apple developer, etc.) but it's rewarding to see that we can have two-way communication.

Before I read your post above, and catch up to where you are with this, take me back to your ActivityBotDebug.spin program for a moment. Basically, you've provided a serial framework with communication bytes for whatever we want to send back and forth, right? And you're now looking to us to fill in the framework with useful stuff - value of Ping))), speeds from accelerometer, etc. Am I mostly right? And this is why Brian was pulling out whatever hair he had left - he was trying to get the framework built in C because there are so many useful ActivityBot programs already produced in C.

Let me know if I'm as clueless as I thought, or if I'm understanding what where we are with this project.

Sure appreciate it!

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-01-30 17:15
    Hi, I have been trying different graphics on the iPad also, just to visualize what the finished article could look like.

More importantly I have been trying techBasics error handling routines. I have to admit I spent more time on it than I expected, it took me a while to grasp what the manual was saying.

There are two possible error situations I wanted to handle in particular, both associated with the wifi connection. One is if for any reason the iPad did not receive all or part of the data packet and the second is if the wifi connection should drop out.

The objective is to be able to recover from the above without rebooting the app. I want to test it some more but number one seems to be done so now its on to number two.

The attached screen shot shows the app in an error condition where the transmission from the Prop was disabled. After re-enabling the transmission I was able to reconnect and continue as normal.

Another option now available is the ability to change IP and Port numbers, the app as I have it loads with the defaults shown in the screen shot which works with my XBee.

Jeff

@Ken some of the errors regarding file #1 are the errors I am dealing with now in the error handling routines. Also there was an issue with my spin file to begin with but I updated the zip file and I think that should be ok. Try with what you have and if you are still having problems I will attach the latest zip with images (I have not zipped it up yet)

This looks like a vast improvement, especially with the error handling.

Seems like the rest of us should be working on the ActivityBot side of things since you've made so much progress on the iPad side of things.

Looks like you've given us an "insert your code here" method:
    pub Main  | x , y    com.start(RX_PIN,TX_PIN,00,BAUD)
       debug.start( 31,30,00,BAUD)
       com.rxflush

repeat
             DataOut
             x:=com.rx

case  x
                "W" : get_data 

Where we can do things like provide light levels (two bytes for left/right side), ultrasonic sensor (single byte), LED status (couple bits, or bytes if we want) and speed (two bytes).

These values could be displayed in techBASIC and also be changed through the R/C interface as they are sent back in the get_data method.

Pretty close to what you're thinking? I'm no programmer, but with enough time and help I usually find my way.

Now I'm finding myself in the C or Spin debate. Seems like we should get your Spin program working in C first because we could easily leverage all the useful ActivityBot source code examples. This might be a challenge for me and I see that Brian has already lost some hair over the idea.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-01-30 18:02
    I am pleased you have at least seen a sample Ken, its hard work to start, loading images and code etc, mainly because its very new to most of us. Of course a purpose built app would take out 80% of the work.

The app you are running is transmitting 6 bytes and receiving 6 bytes, the fact the received bytes are an echo at the moment does not matter they can be used for any sensor data we wish when we decide what data we want displayed on the iPad. In my opinion 6 bytes is close to being enough but that can be modified.

Brian and Tom have both shown some good C examples I am afraid I am not proficient enough to chip in and help.

I am attaching progress so far, with this one you can test the error handling by pressing the reset button on the Prop. The app will show an error but you should be able to reconnect and continue without rebooting the app once the reset has completed.

I recommend deleting all images and files that are related to this project from your iPad and starting afresh with these new images. The zip contains 8 images 1 techBasic source file on Notepad and a Spin file for testing.

One last thing about the techBasic source you have and something I have been looking at. It's actually working too fast and overunning the wifi buffer, that is my thought right now anyway.The source in this zip slows the rate down. I will continue to monitor this.

Jeff
    edited 2014-01-30 18:19
    Jeff
    Good digging on error handling. I will look at it later.

Been working on simple message sending
    In the process of debugging first test of code.
    Not the final way I want to do it but just testing message parsing in C and
    making the messages in Tech Basic.

Just made the LED's on P26 and P27 turn on and off sending a message to AB

Will test send 6 byte message next

Tom
    edited 2014-01-30 18:34
    @Jeff,
    This c stuff is as clear as cream of mushroom soup :) ,I hoping to make a parser so that accessories can be added later. I'll take a look at your spin code and see if I can make it work in C.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this code ? It should receive one marker char of either a "X" or a "Y" and then store the next char in separate locations ,then send the 2 values to the serial terminal.

Thanks'
    Brian
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-01-30 18:41
    Brian_B wrote: »
    Edit: code with graphic ,sorry steve for stealing it.

No problem :)
    edited 2014-01-30 20:25
    Here is my message sending test code
    Strickly testing out the concept.
    We would use messages which have a checksum for testing if valid
    We would make up messages to tell the Bot to execute various commands or to
    send speed settings etc.

For now I just have two messages, one that has one data byte used in a case statement as if
    it came from a keypress on a terminal
    The second message just sends 6 known bytes over.

First cut only sending messages from iPad,
    This is a test program only actual version will put watching for incoming messages in a seperate cog and
    main line code can watch if valid messages are there.
    I have code doing that with the Sony Remote but did not want to cloud up the testing with to much .
    This gets a message and in fact will wait forever to get it and then processes.it.
    The advantage is things happen one at a time.

Parsing messages may work better if the messages coming in are strings and not binary like these as TB
    has string functions like LEFT and MID.

The Tech Basic code
    REM Test Message sending to Activity Bot Ver 1

DIM Message~(16)  

xcenter = Graphics.Width/2

DIM quit AS Button
    quit = Graphics.newButton(xcenter,250)
    quit.setTitle("Quit")

DIM send6 AS Button
    send6 = Graphics.newButton(xcenter,200,100)
    send6.setTitle("Send 6 bytes")

REM Direct connection ip address
    Comm.openTCPIP(1, "192.168.1.3", $2616)

DIM swP26 as Switch
    DIM swP27 as Switch
    DIM lblP26 as Label
    DIM lblP27 as Label

swP26 = Graphics.newSwitch(xcenter,25)
    !Default to off
    swP26.setOn(0)

swP27 = Graphics.newSwitch(xcenter,65)
    !Default to off
    swP27.setOn(0)

lblP26 = Graphics.newLabel(xcenter+85,25,100)
    lblP27 = Graphics.newLabel(xcenter+85,65,100)

lblP26.setText("P26LED")
    lblP27.setText("P27LED")

System.showGraphics

SUB TxMessage(numbytes AS BYTE)
      FOR i% = 1 TO numbytes 
      PUT #1,, Message~(i%)
      NEXT
    END SUB

SUB SendMsgA1(db AS Byte)
      Message~(1) = $A1
      Message~(2) = 2
      Message~(3) = db
    ! Compute the checksum
      checksum~ = BITNOT(2 + db) + 1
      Message~(4) = checksum~
      TxMessage(4)
    END SUB

SUB SendMsgA6
    !Send known bytes 
      Message~(1) = $A6
      Message~(2) = 7
      Message~(3) = $01
      Message~(4) = $02
      Message~(5) = $04
      Message~(6) = $08
      Message~(7) = $10
      Message~(8) = $20
      FOR idx = 2 To 8
      checksum~ = checksum~ + Message~(idx)
      NEXT
      checksum~ = BITNOT(checksum~) +1
      Message~(9) = checksum~
      TxMessage(9)

END SUB 

SUB valueChanged(ctrl AS Control, time AS DOUBLE)
    IF ctrl = swP26 THEN
      IF swP26.isON THEN
        SendMsgA1(1)
      ELSE
        SendMsgA1(2)
      END IF
    END IF

IF ctrl = swP27 THEN
      IF swP27.isON THEN
        SendMsgA1(4)
      ELSE
        SendMsgA1(8)
      END IF
    END IF

END SUB

SUB touchUpInside(ctrl AS Button, when AS Double)
    if ctrl = quit then
      STOP
      ELSE IF ctrl = send6 THEN
        SendMsgA6
    end if
    end sub

The C code which is run with the terminal as I print what is happening
    Turning the Tech Basic switches on and off turns on and off P26 and P27 LED'S
    /*
      Test message concept

Each message will be of the following format

MsgId  byte    Just something made up, maybe lower nibble is length
      Len    byte    Number of bytes remaining in message after this byte including chksum byte
      Data0  byte    Data bytes what they mean is message dependent
      Datan  byte
      Checksum       Checksum byte, the 2's complement of the sum of all bytes except MsgId

Two simple messages for this test

A single data byte to simulate switch closure or a key press
      MsgId = 0xA1
      Len   = 2
      Databyte
      CheckSum

Send six bytes to be processed 
      MsgId = 0xA6
      Len = 7
      Six Data bytes
      CheckSum

*/

#include "simpletools.h"                      // Include simple tools
    #include "fdserial.h"

#define MAXCHARS 78

/* Parsing the incoming messages requires a state machine driven by
       each incoming byte from the serial port
       With the following states
    */ 

#define WAIT4MSGID 1      //Get bytes until we see one we know
    #define GETLENBYTE 2      //Get the number of bytes remaining in message
    #define GETDATABYTES 3    //Get the data bytes. Len byte - 1 bytes
    #define GETCHECKSUM 4     //Get checksum byte

#define MAXMSGSIZE 16     //Small messages for now

// Connections for Activity Bot Board
    int RX = 10, TX = 9;       // XBEEwifi connected pins

fdserial *xbwifi;        // Serial device to talk to XBEEwifi

// An array to hold an incoming message of max length
    uint8_t MsgBuffer[MAXMSGSIZE];

// Message parsing variables
    uint8_t rxchar;
    uint8_t MyChkSum;
    uint8_t BValue;
    uint8_t *pRxMsgPtr;
    uint8_t *pMsgPtr;
    uint8_t bytecount;
    uint8_t bytesneeded;
    int     RxMsgState;

//Create an array to store 6 byte message values for testing
    uint8_t Sixbytes[6];

/* For testing of the receive message function. Just define it here
       for later version launch it into it's own cog to watch for messages
       and handshake with main line code when message is available
    */
    void RxMessage() {
    uint8_t chktest;
    uint8_t idx;      //Stand alone version only
    int ch;

// HERE IN STAND ALONE TEST VERSION
    int msgflag;      // Set to 1 to build a new message
                      // State Machine sets it to 0 indicating have a message
                      // When in seperate cog handshake flag will be used

//Get a char from serial port wait for it to arrive
      //In this test version it will hang the system
      RxMsgState = WAIT4MSGID;  // HERE IN STAND ALONE TEST VERSION
      msgflag = 1;              // HERE IN STAND ALONE TEST VERSION
      idx = 0;                  // HERE IN STAND ALONE TEST VERSION

print("RxMessage Looking\n");
     while(msgflag == 1) {

rxchar = fdserial_rxChar(xbwifi);
      // Execute state machine on rxchar
      switch (RxMsgState) {
       case WAIT4MSGID:
            if ( (rxchar == 0xA1) || (rxchar == 0xA6)) {
              print("\nGot Message %x\n",rxchar);
              MsgBuffer[idx++] = rxchar;
              MyChkSum = 0;
              RxMsgState = GETLENBYTE;
            }
            break;
       case GETLENBYTE:
            // Already pointing at len byte
            bytesneeded = (uint8_t)rxchar -1; // Do not include checksum byte
            bytecount = 0;
            MyChkSum = (uint8_t)rxchar;       // First byte of sum
            RxMsgState = GETDATABYTES;
            break;
       case GETDATABYTES:
            //Already pointing at next byte
            MyChkSum += (uint8_t)rxchar;
            bytecount++;
            if(bytecount == bytesneeded) {
             RxMsgState = GETCHECKSUM;
            }        
            break;
       case GETCHECKSUM:
            //Now pointing at checksum byte
            MsgBuffer[idx] = rxchar;  // No need to inc to next byte this time
            /*Adding the received checksum byte to MyChkSum should be
              zero if we have a valid checksum because the checksum in message
              is the negitive of the sum
            */
            chktest = (uint8_t)rxchar + MyChkSum;
            chktest = chktest & 0xFF;  //Only 8 bits wanted
            if(chktest == 0) {
             msgflag = 0;  // Were done have valid message
             RxMsgState = WAIT4MSGID; // Redundent in stand alone version 
            } 
            fdserial_rxFlush(xbwifi);               // Clear the serial buffer
            break;
      }

}// End while msgflag

}

int main()   // Main function
    {
    uint8_t ix;  //Index into MsgBuffer array
    int ch;

// Add startup code here.
      xbwifi = fdserial_open(RX,TX,0,9600);   // Full Duplex serial to XBEE
      fdserial_rxFlush(xbwifi);               // Clear the serial buffer
      pause(100);

RxMsgState = WAIT4MSGID;

while(1)
      {
        // Add main loop code here.

//Get a valid message, waits forever for one
        RxMessage();

//Process the valid message
        //Have plenty of time not watching for new message 
        //until done.

// Start at beginning of message
        ix = 0;

//Use a case statement to process each type of message
        switch (MsgBuffer[ix++]) {
         case 0xA1:
           print("Message A1\n");
           ix++;       // Bump index past len byte of message
           BValue = MsgBuffer[ix];
           //Use the byte as if it was a keypress command
           switch (BValue) {
            case 1:
             high(26); // Turn on P26 Led
             print("P26 ON\n");
             break;
            case 2:
             low(26);  // Turn off P26 Led
             print("P26 OFF\n");
             break;
            case 4:
             high(27); // Turn on P27 Led
             print("P27 ON\n");
             break;
            case 8:
             low(27); // Turn off P27 Led
             print("P27 OFF\n");
             break;
           }
           break;
         case 0xA6:
           print("Message A6\n");
           ix++;       // Bump index past len byte of message
           for(int b=0;b<6;b++) {
            Sixbytes[b] = MsgBuffer[ix++];
           }
           for(int br=0;br<6;br++){
             print("$%02x ",Sixbytes[br]);
           }
           print("\n");     
           break;
       }// end switch message

}  
    }

edited 2014-01-30 20:53
    Jeff ,
    Here is a little try at your rxArray, Not working yet .I know I'm going to have a "Now I get it" with this c stuff ,but hasn't happen yet.

Brian

#include "simpletools.h"
    #include "fdserial.h"

int main(void)
    {
    extern text_t *dport_ptr; // default debug port pointer gets reassigned to fdserial.
    char ch,i;
    int z[6];
    fdserial *xbee = fdserial_open(11,10,0,9600);
    simpleterm_close();
    dport_ptr = (fdserial_open(31,30,0,115200));

{
    while(1)
    if(fdserial_rxReady(xbee))
    ch = readChar(xbee);
    {
    if (ch == 'W');
    {
    for (i = 0;i < 6; i++);
    z = readChar(xbee);

}
    {
    for (i = 0;i < 6; i++);
    writeChar(xbee,z);
    putchar(z);
    }

}

}

}
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-01-30 21:33
    Don't put semicolons at the end of your for loops.

This is a great tutorial:
    http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html

This may be helpful too:
    http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/control/
    That one is C++, but most of C++ syntax is C.

The code below has correct syntax, but I have no idea if it will do what you need.

I indent to keep track of what the code is doing in my mind. The braces {} are there for correctness and communicating what the code is expected to do. It is not a comment in C.

#include "simpletools.h"
    #include "fdserial.h"

int main(void)
    {
      extern text_t *dport_ptr; // default debug port pointer gets reassigned to fdserial.

char ch,i;
      int z[6];

fdserial *xbee = fdserial_open(11,10,0,9600);
      simpleterm_close();
      dport_ptr = (fdserial_open(31,30,0,115200));

while(1)  {
        if(fdserial_rxReady(xbee)) 
          ch = readChar(xbee);

if (ch == 'W') {
          for (i = 0;i < 6; i++)
            z[i] = readChar(xbee);
        }

for (i = 0;i < 6; i++)
          writeChar(xbee,z[i]);

putchar(z[i]);

}  // end while

return 0; // main's return value

} // end main

• banjobanjo Posts: 438
    edited 2014-01-30 23:21
    I'm very glad to see that others are continuing and progressing with this.
    I might not be able to participate so much the coming time, my daughter had a small accident yesterday. Nothing serious, but my priorities are like following:
    #1 Family
    #2 Family
    #3 Family
    #4 Work
    #5 Hobbies and/or fun
    For #4 and #5 I'm still debating if they are in correct order :smile:
    edited 2014-01-31 05:03
    @Banjo,
    Hope your family is doing well.
    @ Steve,
    Thanks' , so much reading ,so little time :)
    @Jeff,
    Try this code ,not perfect - but it's a start

Edit : take semicolons off the 2 for loops, thought I did that already, must not saved it that way.
    c
    c
    704B
    .c 704B