Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TX / RX Activity Light Circuit — Parallax Forums

TX / RX Activity Light Circuit

photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
edited 2014-01-13 05:03 in General Discussion
Trying to work out a simple LED indicator scheme for UART lines and wanted to know if this seemed appropriate. Most of my connections are well above 9600 bps often at 115300 bps. With such rates the LED would only be activated for something like 8 microseconds. My idea was to put a low value cap beyond the transistor to try to extend the LED on period a bit. I have not worked out all the math yet but I'm thinking this creates a short blank period as the cap charges up and then the LED should light and when the transistor turns off then the cap keeps the LED lit and dimming till it crosses the threshold voltage. I'm betting the challenge is finding a cap value that is significant enough to actually add any perceptible time to the LED on period without taking so long to charge the cap that there is no benefit.

Anything obviously brain dead in this?
648 x 486 - 46K

Comments

• photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2014-01-10 13:07
    Hmmm.... do I even need the resistor on the cap? Base current and hfe are going to limit the current across the collector and emitter anyway right?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-01-10 14:09
    You don't really need the resistor on the cap, but you will need a fairly large capacitor and high efficiency led to see short data bursts. I use a 555 timer as a monostable with a 200-500mS on time for this kind of thing.

PS - is this for 3.3V level serial data?
    edited 2014-01-10 14:36
    Yeah. 3.3v serial on a BeagleBone Black where the I/O current is VERY limited. Trying to keep the circuit small so using a timer IC or uC for to extend the on time is something I wouldn't have room to do. I see however that the forward voltage on the LEDs is higher than my recollection and I don't have enough current to charge the cap up all the way in time and the LED is going to suck the juice away much faster from the cap than it's able to charge up. In effect I'm just delaying the pulse not really extending it. Might be better with 4.7K base resistor. Time to experiment this weekend a bit.
    edited 2014-01-10 14:38
    Activity indicator.jpg
    Something like this might work better if it is for 3.3V serial.
    271 x 335 - 11K
  • Duane C. JohnsonDuane C. Johnson Posts: 955
    edited 2014-01-10 14:56
    Hi photomankc;
    I just did a couple of tests using a Prop with a baud rate of 115200.
    I assume the TX and RX are normally high when no data is being transferred.
    Is this true?

Of course the resistor in series with the cap is not needed, it even gets in the way of charging the cap.

The problem is, one needs at least 10uF and preferably 100uF to get a reasonably long flash on the LED because the charge in the cap is powering the LED.
    Your simple 1 transistor circuit just can't charge the relativly large cap rapidly enough to catch a single character let alone a single start bit.

Questions about circuit requirements.
    1. Can I use 2 transistors and a few resistors?
    or
    2. Can I use a small MOSFET? Say a 2N7000? Or a junction FET?

I have a plan but didn't get it running yet. Will work on it after dinner.

Duane J
    edited 2014-01-10 20:02
    Hi photomankc;

I just tested many variations of kwinn's circuit.
    However, there are some differences in component values.

I did my testing using FemtoBasic using this program:
    NEW
    10 DISPLAY 255
    20 PAUSE 200
    30 GOTO 10
    SAVE
    RUN

And the interface to my PC is a USB PropPlug.

I see there are some basic requirements:
    1. The circuit must not interfere with normal operation of the serial port.
    2. I usually run at 115200 baud.
    3. I want to at least be able to see the LED flash with the worst case character. In this case sending 8 1's. So one sees only the start bit. Of course the LED is brighter with characters that have more 0's.

1. The gain of my 2N3906 PNP transistors is about 180. With a base resistor of 10KΩ the current through the LED is self limited so the 330Ω resistor is not required. Better yet any color LED from RED to BLUE work equally well.
    2. The start bit is about 9uS wide. If the capacitor is to large it affects the fall time which may cause bit errors. I find that 10nF is about right.
    If you want to operate at a slower bit rate the capacitor can be proportionately larger.
    3. There is no need for the 100Ω input resistor. In fact it just limits the charge on the capacitor dimming the LED no mater what value I tried.

So my conclusion is to just use the 4 parts:
    2N3906, 10nF, 10KΩ, and the 1N4148 signal diode.

Have fun with this.

Thank you kwinn for the nice circuit!!!

Duane J
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2014-01-10 21:02
    photomankc wrote: »
    Trying to work out a simple LED indicator scheme for UART lines and wanted to know if this seemed appropriate. Most of my connections are well above 9600 bps often at 115300 bps. With such rates the LED would only be activated for something like 8 microseconds. My idea was to put a low value cap beyond the transistor to try to extend the LED on period a bit. I have not worked out all the math yet but I'm thinking this creates a short blank period as the cap charges up and then the LED should light and when the transistor turns off then the cap keeps the LED lit and dimming till it crosses the threshold voltage. I'm betting the challenge is finding a cap value that is significant enough to actually add any perceptible time to the LED on period without taking so long to charge the cap that there is no benefit.

Anything obviously brain dead in this?

Why wouldn't you do this in software? I don't think I've ever bothered to create a one-shot just for activity leds when it is very easy for software to light em up and reload a timer. Somewhere in your code, either in the main loop or polling etc you check for a timeout and turn them off, simple.
    edited 2014-01-10 23:37
    Hi photomankc;

Have fun with this.

Duane J

Excellent, thank you guys. I was busy helping my daughter solder up her line-follower kit tonight so I didn't have time to test anything at the bench. That's a nice solution.

Peter, I have a couple of LEDs tied to GPIO for software to wiggle however id still have 3 other UARTs to cover and don't want to spend 3/6 more GPIO for the task. I may not have room to place that many components either but I wanted something that would work even where I don't have a uC at hand. This may be perfect for activity lights on my cheap sonar sensors too when I build that interface board
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2014-01-11 01:57
    Excellent, thank you guys. I was busy helping my daughter solder up her line-follower kit tonight so I didn't have time to test anything at the bench. That's a nice solution.

Peter, I have a couple of LEDs tied to GPIO for software to wiggle however id still have 3 other UARTs to cover and don't want to spend 3/6 more GPIO for the task. I may not have room to place that many components either but I wanted something that would work even where I don't have a uC at hand. This may be perfect for activity lights on my cheap sonar sensors too when I build that interface board[/QUOT
    E]
    I'd rather a 35 cent shift register than a rat's nest of Rs and Cs and transistors. Two I/O is all you need for 8 indicators (or more), no need for an output latch.
    edited 2014-01-11 04:20
    Hi photomankc;
    Here is my version of kwinn's schematic and a couple of pictures showing my version on a plug board.
    TX_RX_indicstor.png
    DCAM0042.JPG
    DCAM0043.JPG

I added a version using a P-Chanel Junction FET, J176, which works better, i.e. brighter with the 9uS pulse.

In the JFET circuit a bit of description is needed.
    Since a junction FET's gate can conduct if forward biased I added the 10KΩ resistor to limit this current flow.
    If I had used a small low gate voltage MOSFET that resistor would not be needed, I don't have one on hand.
    An even better MOSFET would be a small low gate voltage Depletion Mode MOSFET, alas I don't have one of these either.

Notice, I show a second diode so one could watch both TX and RX with one circuit.
    Saves some board space too.
    A bunch of diodes would allow us to watch many signal lines at the same time.

Stretching a 9uS pulse out enough to be visible on an LED ain't half bad for such a simple circuit!!!

BTW, this "Pulse Stretcher" can be useful in many application.

Duane J
    430 x 270 - 7K
    800 x 600 - 188K
    800 x 600 - 183K
    edited 2014-01-11 12:20
    Hi photomankc;

I just tested many variations of kwinn's circuit.
    However, there are some differences in component values.

I did my testing using FemtoBasic using this program:
    NEW
    10 DISPLAY 255
    20 PAUSE 200
    30 GOTO 10
    SAVE
    RUN

And the interface to my PC is a USB PropPlug.

I see there are some basic requirements:
    1. The circuit must not interfere with normal operation of the serial port.
    2. I usually run at 115200 baud.
    3. I want to at least be able to see the LED flash with the worst case character. In this case sending 8 1's. So one sees only the start bit. Of course the LED is brighter with characters that have more 0's.

1. The gain of my 2N3906 PNP transistors is about 180. With a base resistor of 10KΩ the current through the LED is self limited so the 330Ω resistor is not required. Better yet any color LED from RED to BLUE work equally well.
    2. The start bit is about 9uS wide. If the capacitor is to large it affects the fall time which may cause bit errors. I find that 10nF is about right.
    If you want to operate at a slower bit rate the capacitor can be proportionately larger.
    3. There is no need for the 100Ω input resistor. In fact it just limits the charge on the capacitor dimming the LED no mater what value I tried.

Have fun with this.

Duane J

Always happy to help out.
    edited 2014-01-12 16:39
    I don't suppose there is an easy way to adapt this to a positive pulse on an NPN? I thought I had the concept on how this was working but I had no luck trying it out with an NPN. I guess I really am not getting how the cap is keeping the E to B current going after the input line flips back high. It definitely works nicely on my serial lines though.
    edited 2014-01-12 19:31
    Hi photomankc
    I don't suppose there is an easy way to adapt this to a positive pulse on an NPN? I thought I had the concept on how this was working but I had no luck trying it out with an NPN. I guess I really am not getting how the cap is keeping the E to B current going after the input line flips back high. It definitely works nicely on my serial lines though.
    Yes, completely doable.
    Just flip the PNP circut up side down and use a 2N3904.
    And reverse the diodes.
    I just tried it and works fine. (No time to try the JFET circut though.)

Duane J
    edited 2014-01-12 21:40
    An n channel JFET or mosfet should work better than the 2N3904 since the capacitor will take longer to discharge. I have only used this circuit with a 2N3904/6 since I bought a large number of them years back and still have a couple of hundred or so left.
    edited 2014-01-13 05:03
    Hi kwinn;
    kwinn wrote: »
    An n channel JFET or MOSFET should work better than the 2N3904 since the capacitor will take longer to discharge. I have only used this circuit with a 2N3904/6 since I bought a large number of them years back and still have a couple of hundred or so left.
    The P ch JFET circuit works great. No reason to believe the N ch JFET wouldn't work just as well. But remember the 10KΩ gate protection resister is required.

One hardly ever sees JFETs in digital applications. They are well suited to analog amplifiers and current sources because of their inherent "Depletion Mode" characteristics. I.e. when the gate is at the same voltage as the source it conducts current. However, usually one doesn't want to forward bias the gate junction but not illegal to do so within reason.
    I suspect because of this pesky gate PN junction JFETs are not more prominently used. In the early days there were high powered JFETs.

Of course, now MOSFETs have largely supplanted JFETs, but MOSFETs are mostly "Enhancement Mode" types.
    "Depletion Mode" MOSFETs have all the attributes of JFETs without the PN junction gate. Way cool. Not may make them though.

Duane J
  • Hi photomankc;
    Here is my version of kwinn's schematic and a couple of pictures showing my version on a plug board.
    TX_RX_indicstor.png
    DCAM0042.JPG
    DCAM0043.JPG

I added a version using a P-Chanel Junction FET, J176, which works better, i.e. brighter with the 9uS pulse.

In the JFET circuit a bit of description is needed.
    Since a junction FET's gate can conduct if forward biased I added the 10KΩ resistor to limit this current flow.
    If I had used a small low gate voltage MOSFET that resistor would not be needed, I don't have one on hand.
    An even better MOSFET would be a small low gate voltage Depletion Mode MOSFET, alas I don't have one of these either.

Notice, I show a second diode so one could watch both TX and RX with one circuit.
    Saves some board space too.
    A bunch of diodes would allow us to watch many signal lines at the same time.

Stretching a 9uS pulse out enough to be visible on an LED ain't half bad for such a simple circuit!!!

BTW, this "Pulse Stretcher" can be useful in many application.

Duane J

I have tried your Jfet model for Rx/TX activity. Led is not brighter?? do you have any suggestions??