Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Joyous times :) - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Joyous times :)

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,161
    edited 2014-01-09 16:40
    cgracey wrote: »
    I suspect the problem might have been in loading the FPGA board. There are many steps and sometimes I'll forget one and not realize until later why my changes were not taking effect.

Is there some visual indication on the Board, of which version it has launched ?
    Seems this is likely to be a common problem.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,134
    edited 2014-01-09 17:03
    jmg wrote: »
    Is there some visual indication on the Board, of which version it has launched ?
    Seems this is likely to be a common problem.

Guess I'll be adding one on the next release. Good idea.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2014-01-09 18:02
    What a beautiful thread… needs to be a "sticky."
  • pik33pik33 Posts: 2,365
    edited 2014-01-09 22:58
    I have a feature request - or maybe only a question.

(a question) Can a DE2-115 P2 implementation use DE2-115's onboard RS232 to connect it to PC? Or (a feature request) can this possibility be added?
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,627
    edited 2014-01-09 23:56
    David Betz wrote: »
    You mean I can't just buy the boxed set of all ten zillion discs? :-)

Not all. BBC had a spat of deleting the master tapes at one stage - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_missing_episodes
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,516
    edited 2014-01-10 04:06
    evanh wrote: »
    Not all. BBC had a spat of deleting the master tapes at one stage - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_missing_episodes
    How necessary is it to actually start at the beginning to understand what's happening in the series? The long history of the show is one reason I've been hesitant to get into it. I really don't have the time to watch many years of episodes to get "caught up". Is it possible to jump into the more modern episodes and understand what's going on?
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2014-01-10 04:23
    How necessary is it to actually start at the beginning to understand what's happening in the series? The long history of the show is one reason I've been hesitant to get into it. I really don't have the time to watch many years of episodes to get "caught up". Is it possible to jump into the more modern episodes and understand what's going on?

The simplest thing to do is jump in at any point that there's a "new" doctor. There are certainly some story arcs that encompass multiple doctors (limited number of regenerations, Daleks, the Time Wars, companions, etc.), but you'll pick those up easily enough. If you start with Series 1 (2005), you'll pick up at the beginning of the series "reboot". If you don't have time for all of that, at least start with Series 5 (2010), which is with Matt Smith as the last Doctor (there's a new one now: Peter Capaldi). You can always work backwards from there (i.e. watch David Tennant as the doctor, then watch Christopher Eccleston as the doctor, etc.).
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-01-10 05:19
    David,
    How necessary is it to actually start at the beginning to understand what's happening in the series?
    I have to chuckle at that.

You realize Dr Who is a show for children. It originally aired at 5 pm on Saturdays. Prime kids viewing time in those days.

We can't really expect kids of today to start with Dr Who at the beginning now can we? :)

There are of course themes that have been running for decades and occasional references backwards and forwards in time nothing to confusing.

Do be sure to checkout whatever series Rose Tiler (Billie Piper) was in!
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2014-01-10 11:47
    Guess I'll be adding one on the next release. Good idea.

Speaking of the next release, does it look like you'll still be able to create a version that fits on the DE0-Nano? And, if so, are there any more adapter boards available yet? I want to be ready when the new release hit's the streets!
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-01-10 11:59
    Seairth wrote: »
    Speaking of the next release, does it look like you'll still be able to create a version that fits on the DE0-Nano? And, if so, are there any more adapter boards available yet? I want to be ready when the new release hit's the streets!
    I think we need to figure out why the DE0 will not work without the adapter board. Its not that difficult, just time.

I would expect we might need two variants of DE0. One with video removed (for those of us who don't need it for our testing), and something else removed for those who require video.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2014-01-10 12:34
    @Chip, speaking of next release, is it close to a release? or is it a little while away? is it worth me waiting to redo the video drivers? as a LOT will have to change again for the new instruction set?
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2014-01-10 12:50
    My question too. I have been in a holding pattern due to the significant changes.

I think a few of us are. If it is days or a week or two, that is different than a longer time. No pressure, just wondering so I can make good choices.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,627
    edited 2014-01-10 14:31
    I really don't have the time to watch many years of episodes to get "caught up". Is it possible to jump into the more modern episodes and understand what's going on?

You can safely start from the 2005 "reboot" with the ninth (or renumbered tenth) doctor, Christopher Eccleston. It's a notable change in style with quite a bit more emotional drama added, so you'd not be getting the current sentiments if you started viewing from, say, Tom Baker, the fourth doctor. ... Still no shortage of craziness though. :)
    edited 2014-01-10 14:37
    Seairth wrote: »

I don't know yet if it is going to fit into the DE0-Nano (even with CTRB removed). We are building more adapter boards at Parallax. We are also starting to design our own Cyclone V -A7 board, which will solve all the emulation problems at once.

Yesterday, in trying out the hub execution, I discovered a strange bug which has to do with the icache. I'm hoping to get that fixed today. It's been a mind-bender, so far.
    edited 2014-01-10 14:38
    Baggers wrote: »
    @Chip, speaking of next release, is it close to a release? or is it a little while away? is it worth me waiting to redo the video drivers? as a LOT will have to change again for the new instruction set?

I suspect it will take me at least 4 more days to have a release ready. I've got one tricky bug to fix, then I must expand to four icache lines, then update the docs.
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,687
    edited 2014-01-10 15:26
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    I think we need to figure out why the DE0 will not work without the adapter board. Its not that difficult, just time.

Why do you think it does not work wothout an adapter board?
    You just need to connect the PropPlug to the right pins, they are no longer in a row, like in the early releases.

Andy
    edited 2014-01-10 17:42
    Ariba wrote: »
    Why do you think it does not work wothout an adapter board?
    You just need to connect the PropPlug to the right pins, they are no longer in a row, like in the early releases.

Andy
    Thanks Andy. I didn't ever look to see why it didn't work since I had the adapter pcb.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2014-01-11 03:51
    I suspect it will take me at least 4 more days to have a release ready. I've got one tricky bug to fix, then I must expand to four icache lines, then update the docs.

4 days :D that's great, I'll wait until then, as I have a couple of things to sort anyway, so I can concentrate on them, then crack on with P2 :D

Thanks Chip and good luck! :D
    edited 2014-01-28 16:56
    We were joyous… now we are close to ecstatic.

I have a few coding questions for someone other than Chip… I bother him way too much and if it takes a week to get an answer, that's fine by me:)

I have been trying to hack apart the ROM_Monitor to create a serial control app to test out various things that I think I understand, but really don't know.
    When I get to a line that I don't understand and can't find an answer for on my own, I'm going to post it here.

In the "Entry" section of ROM_Monitor.spin about half way down there is this line:
    jz base,@$

jz is documented… I think I know what it does, what seems to confuse me is "@$"… ?
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-01-28 17:13
    @ means relative address

$ normally stands for current address

on the face of it, it is an infinite loop if Z flag is set - but that does not make sense, as there would be no way for Z to be cleared.
    rjo__ wrote: »

I have a few coding questions for someone other than Chip… I bother him way to much and if it takes a week to get an answer, that's fine by me:)

I have been trying to hack apart the ROM_Monitor to create a serial control app to test out various things that I think I understand, but really don't know.
    When I get to a line that I don't understand and can't find an answer for on my own, I'm going to post it here.

In the "Entry" section of ROM_Monitor.spin about half way down there is this line:
    jz base,@$

jz is documented… I think I know what it does, what seems to confuse me is "@$"… ?
    edited 2014-01-28 18:29
    The jz base,@$ is waiting for the base (register) to be set by the task baud_task. Remember, we have multiple tasks running.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2014-01-28 18:35
    Ho rjo

It will run nfinite loop as long Destination's DATA will be Zero

rjo__ wrote: »

I have a few coding questions for someone other than Chip… I bother him way to much and if it takes a week to get an answer, that's fine by me:)

jz base,@$

• ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,792
    edited 2014-01-28 20:30
    Joyous times indeed!
    Chip's latest work is brilliant :)
    I even have a sentry guarding my DE2 board :lol:
    Brian
    1024 x 613 - 71K
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-01-28 20:39
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    Joyous times indeed!
    Chip's latest work is brilliant :)
    I even have a sentry guarding my DE2 board :lol:
    Brian
    LOL. Watch out for Dalek dust!
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,792
    edited 2014-01-28 21:11
    jazzed wrote: »
    LOL. Watch out for Dalek dust!

A couple of months ago I had a "close encounter" with some Dalek's and their dust! :lol:
    1024 x 1365 - 165K
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-01-28 21:31
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    A couple of months ago I had a "close encounter" with some Dalek's and their dust! :lol:
    That's great!
    edited 2014-01-29 05:32
    ROFL… thanks guys.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-01-29 05:51
    Thanks - it makes sense. I am not used to multiple threads YET.
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    The jz base,@$ is waiting for the base (register) to be set by the task baud_task. Remember, we have multiple tasks running.
    edited 2014-02-02 23:29
    I have been happily playing with Chip's Monitor.spin code. I have half a handle on it… which is what I need at the moment.
    The over-all feeling that I get from this exercise is similar to what it must be like to have a 1000 horsepower engine and only being able to
    use it to drive a pinwheel at the exhaust. I only have one cog… but it is a hungry cog:)
    edited 2014-02-06 18:38
    I am modifying Chip's Monitor.spin to add some math and serial utilities for the P2-Nano.

When I try to move PTRA's address into a variable, tempptr: mov tempptr, PTRA

I get an error: Expected a Constant, Unary Operator or "(.

Given the new PTRA instructions, I don't actually have to do this. I was just wondering about it.