Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Beware of fake batteries on ebay! — Parallax Forums

Beware of fake batteries on ebay!

CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
edited 2014-01-08 16:57 in General Discussion
All you know, there are myriads of bogus named batteries on ebay like BTY, ULTRAFIRE and so on, which claim huge capacities (say 3000mah for AA cell) and are super cheap ($1 around). Their real capacity is 300-400mah and it's clear that such purchases should be avoided. But recently, another trend started - chinese started to fake 2nd tier brand batteries, but selling them for almost a retail price, so you think that you're buying genuine product. One of such examples is these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310595849696?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 These are fake, first of all, genuine Tenergy batteries have white, pearl-like gloss shell. These batteries have more ivory, non pearl-gloss shell. Also, real capacity is 300mah (measured with lacrosse BC-700), instead of advertised 1000mah. Seller wants me to return them and then refund, which I won't do for $5 purchase. So I've filled claim to ebay about counterfeit/replica items, let's see what happens.

Comments

• al1970al1970 Posts: 64
    edited 2014-01-04 23:52
    I stop using Ebay a long time ago! There were too many people selling 2nd's and items that didn't meet specs as new items. I also found flash memory that in real life was not as big as marked. I never got anywhere telling Ebay even when I found other people saying the same thing about a dealer. There are web sites where you can buy items from China for only a few cents more than off of Ebay. So far I have never had a problem with the items I bought this way.

Al
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2014-01-05 02:25
    Last summer I ordered some NI-MH AA batteries from China that was said to be 3000mAH each. When I received the batteries I found them to be suspecting lightweight. I put them on a scale and they were about half the weight as regular batteries. After charging them for a time with the "free charger" with a control LED that never changed, (kept watching the charger like a candle light) I took the batteries to the mountain as spare batteries for the hand held GPS. The regular batteries went out after a while so I replaced with this new light ones. When turning on the Garming I heard its opening-tone and that was it. No more power,just had to laugh of the whole thing. Lesson learned, never gonna buy batteries from China no more.

Picture shows one battery untouched to the right and one other similar battery with cover removed. The cylinder contains something in the upper half end, the rest of the cylinder was filled with a small plastic tube, probably to keep the inner contains stable.
    813 x 488 - 280K
    nimh.jpg 280.1K
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2014-01-05 03:25
    Yes, such ones are long time on market. But ones I've mentioned are completely different story, being replicas of known brand battery
    tenerfake.jpg
    549 x 643 - 113K
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2014-01-06 19:15
    shenzhen china has a well established reputation for being the counterfeiting capital of the world for electronics. Particularly notorious for selling second-quality (faulty or marginal) parts as MIL spec. Done well, they can pass off parts that will pass test, get shipped, and fail in the field, where the part is lost under battlefield conditions, and the deceit is never detected.

Expect what ever comes from China to be junk, and be surprised and pleased if parts function in your hobbyist project. Its marginal and can be useful, but its still junk.
  • KotobukiKotobuki Posts: 82
    edited 2014-01-08 04:53
    I just bought two 3000 mAH Tenergy battery packs and a charger from an American company in CA. They arrived yesterday, and after charging, proved to be what they were sold to me as. I will be using these in my Hexcrawler. I have seen the Chinese batteries, but did not trust the claims.

However, I have bought things from China (8089 !/O processors) that work fine. They are Intel marked, and could very well be copied, but they work perfectally except for one that had its pins smashed in transit. I bought 15 of them. I have also bought little things such as LED display modules (as described somewhere here in the forums) both in red and multi-color. Those work as well. I am awaiting two LED voltmeters for use on my Hexcrawler. If they work, great. If not, they cost four dollars and some change, free shipping. It won't bankrupt me. So for things that should cost a relatively large amount of money, such as battery packs, and servos, I will not buy Chinese. But for little electronic components and obsolete chips, I have no problem with Chinese companies.

Best,

Joe
  • Hal AlbachHal Albach Posts: 747
    edited 2014-01-08 06:29
    You may also want to be wary of Chinese capacitors.....

Chinese capacitor.jpg
    800 x 514 - 70K
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2014-01-08 06:52
    Hal Albach wrote: »

Chinese capacitor.jpg

Oh for the love of......

Disgusting.
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2014-01-08 07:03
    Hal Albach wrote: »

Chinese capacitor.jpg

So, just batteries and capacitors, huh?

RIIIIIGHT!!!
    edited 2014-01-08 07:25
    A lot of the stuff from china is good, in fact its often from the same production line that produces the offical parts. But the parts may be mislabeled, smudged, or from a rejected bach, or from the start or end of a run where some of the parts are going to be good and some are going to be bad. Rather than toss them, the rejects are sold at a discount.

ITs not too hard to spot candidates that are going to be satisfactory, and to spot canddates with a high chance of unhappiness.

Low dollar items are not worth it to fake, and high reputation sellers are interested in preserving reputation, its in their best interest to "pre-screen" parts to prevent duds from getting shipped. On two occasions I recieved the wrong part, and they re-sent the correct part, no return and no charge.

High dollar items have a greater incentive for tricks. I took a change on ordering a 3 TB hard disk for $15, and got an old silver dollar. Canadian. It was worth the experiment.

I still buy stuff on ebay, but I wouldn't use those parts for say a pace maker for somebody I want to keep around.
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2014-01-08 08:03
    Paul Sr. wrote: »
    So, just batteries and capacitors, huh?

So far that has been my experience. And even then, it has been only a very few of the caps and batteries ordered. But I wonder if fakes are on the rise, particularly with regard to large electrolytic capacitors. The fake ones I recently received were represented as 100V parts, but testing revealed them to be 63V. I still used them - just in a different application. Meanwhile the vendor was very quick to refund the purchase price - even though I told him I just wanted the right parts, not a refund. Maybe he'd been hoodwinked by his supplier.

At the same time this went on, all the other caps I received from all the other vendors were great. As long as the incidence remains low and the response to the occasional fraud quick, I'll continue to do business with Chinese suppliers on eBay.
    edited 2014-01-08 08:10
    User Name wrote: »
    So far that has been my experience.
    large electrolytic capacitors. The fake ones I recently received were represented as 100V parts, but testing revealed them to be 63V.

Is is possible to build 100v / 250v capacitor without killing onself? This might be a next maker product.
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2014-01-08 11:33
    Well, I ordered fake Nippon Chemi-Con capacitors from taobao. Labeled 450V 1000uf. They were listed as "at least 820 uf will be delivered". Testing showed capacities in range of 850-890uf, and worked fine at 450V, which is not bad, considering the fact that they've costed about $1.8 per capacitor (I bought 10 pack). They are installed in equipment working 24/7 since September and doing fine so far.

However, chinese capacitors can be really bad fakes, as this ad shows:

T2W1u4XaNbXXXXXXXX_!!1069997523.jpg

The overall idea is as follows: "Real capacity is 240uf, but good enough for sales" :)
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2014-01-08 14:50
    Is is possible to build 100v / 250v capacitor without killing onself? This might be a next maker product.

You could probably demonstrate the concept easily enough, but the resulting capacitor would be bulky, short-lived, and of very low capacity. It is an enormous trick to achieve the density, reliability, convenience, low ESR, and low price of a modern chemical capacitor. The ones I bought had a nominal capacitance of 10000uF and cost only a few bucks.

Aluminum foil, blotter paper, and a few teaspoons of brine might get you a few microfarads and last a few days. Then the foil would corrode. :)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2014-01-08 15:01
    CuriousOne: Just curious, how did you order from taobao, do you live in HK or China? It's not a simple process to order from (and get shipped to) the States.

WRT "second tier" batteries, I thought it was funny that there are lookalikes of "non-prime" brands, too. UltraFire is a cheap Chinese Li-Ion, which I have several of. Other than low capacity (much lower than claimed), they work fine. Recently I received some that looked (at a quick glance) like UltraFire, but in reality are UitraFlrc. Some of those were leaking electrolyte on arrival, and most of them leaked shortly after charging. Obvious factory rejects. Wasted time and money, but at least the Ebay seller refunded 100%.

Check the reviews here, mentioning UitraFlrc: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHARGER-18650-3000mAh-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B0080A37BG
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2014-01-08 15:27
    Seriously people, if you buy the lowest cost China sourced stuff on eBay you're gonna get exactly what you paid for. Looks real, might work, never tested, good luck, only 50% DOA and half the rest fail within a year. At least when you buy off eBay you'll probably get your money back, if you realize you've been taken quickly enough.
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2014-01-08 16:57
    The things that seem to be more reliable are motors, gear motors, RC parts. Been stung by a 24V->12V DC-DC converter that was
    utter Smile.

Oh yes, watch out for copper-plated aluminium wire... That was UK dealer, presumably they sourced their "oxygen free copper"
    (read "copper-free copper") wire from china and couldn't tell the difference!)