Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Nokia 5110 Display + PBASIC coding — Parallax Forums

Nokia 5110 Display + PBASIC coding

stelath_shadow9stelath_shadow9 Posts: 23
edited 2014-01-16 21:29 in BASIC Stamp
Hey everyone. I am currently trying to work on making one of the Nokia 5110 monochrome displays work with a basic stamp 2 or a pic axe.
I am COMPLETELY LOST with this one because I don't know much about SPI protocol ( I think I get it, but since I cant get the display to work I am doubting myself.) And the only code I can find for this display is for arduinos and spin code ( I SUCK at spin code and I know nothing about arduino code)

Essentially I realize I am going to have to make a driver for this display if I am going to get it to run with BS2 Or pic axe, and I am ok with that. BUT, my problem lies in the protocol to get this display to work. I've gone though the data sheet to get an idea of what order things need to happen in and what needs to be sent out to the display but I am continually getting lost or having zero results with the things I am trying.

Essentially my what I am aiming for is, to type a character on my keyboard in a serial terminal, have the microcontroller receive it, and then spit it back out to the display.
In BASIC it'd look something like
clk pin 2 'set pin2 as clk
char var byte   'make char a byte variable for keystroke
rxpin PIN 1      ' make pin 1 a serial receive line
main:
DEBUGIN char    'detect character from keypress on keyboard and store it in "char" 
SEROUT rxpin,84,[char]     'display the keystroke character on the display

or since this is  SPI
SHIFTOUT rxpin,clk,MSBFIRST,[char]      'display the keystroke character on the display

goto main        'go back to the beginning of program

Yet from What I am reading, there are resets, chip enables, data/command bits, and addressing for pixels to worry about too.

SO what I am looking for as far as help goes is a step by step instruction reference for example
step1: you need to reset your display by putting it low on the reset pin
step2: you have to place the data/command pin to command state by placing it high and send your command for the display in this format....

etc etc.
I am not trying to get any free rides or beg for code, but I am so lost on this I have no idea where to look to get this project rolling, or the materials I have looked at are confusing me more than helping.
I thank you all in advanced for any help or ideas you provide.
-Stealth

Comments

• CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2014-01-16 21:29
    Picbasic pro code is available for 5110. Just google, and picbasic code easilly works on basic stamp.