Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
sntp christmas light — Parallax Forums

sntp christmas light

jsaddictionjsaddiction Posts: 84
edited 2013-12-31 20:06 in Accessories
So I would like to get my wiznet for quickstart to connect to a time server and "SYNC" its time. Im not sure how the parse and computation works but it seems to be more complicated than what it seams. I am also not sure how often I should ping the server for time. I was thinking once a day or once a week. I dont need really precise time but I will use it for certain features like when to turn the lights on and off. I would like to turn them on based on sunset and turn them off based on a specific time, something like 11pm. So acctually this is a two part question, does anyone have a good way to sync time to a time server? Has anyone played around with celestial data polling from a server?

Comments

• RforbesRforbes Posts: 281
    edited 2013-12-31 19:43
    jsaddiction - Getting the time from a sntp server once per day should be a good start. You'll probably not need it more frequently than that.

There are a few different objects that can be used to connect to a server and fetch the time from it. Here's a starting point- this demo is easy to use. Just follow the directions at the top of the object :)
  • jsaddictionjsaddiction Posts: 84
    edited 2013-12-31 20:06
    Rforbes thank you for the post. I will most definitely integrate it into my newest version of my light controller.