Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB Driver Question — Parallax Forums

USB Driver Question

PridborPridbor Posts: 30
edited 2014-01-06 11:39 in Learn with BlocklyProp
New to the Parallax but not to both programming and HW design, albeit a little while ago.

The topic lies in my attempt to load the Simple IDE

I'm instructed to load an USB driver for the Board of Education I just purchased. In the
learn.parallax.com I'm told that sys. req. for windows are: XP/ 7/ 8 and that I shall go to the page
with USB drivers.

So far so good, but once there I only see one driver mentioned: Version 2.08.24,
and immediately after it's stated that it only supports Windows 2000/ xp/ Vista/ and 07?

As I run win 8.1 what am I supposed to do?

I did go to the FTDI web site, where I found the VCP and D2XX drivers, but didn't want to
venture into something which might mess up my other uses of the USB on my laptop.

Sorry if this has previously been addressed but being new I didn't see an obvious place to look

Thanks in advance for any help

Preben

Comments

• Al_GreenAl_Green Posts: 1
    edited 2013-12-30 23:00
    I have a similar issue. I have loaded the driver version 2.08.24 and whilst the computer detects the com port with the USB conversion, it cannot find the propeller chip in the S2. I would appreciate hearing how to fix this also, and if I find a fix, I will reply with it to this group.
  • PridborPridbor Posts: 30
    edited 2013-12-31 15:27
    In the meantime I got the Simple IDE up and running Hello World on my stationary XP based PC.

It would be nice though if the above question could be resolved as I then can work in both my
    work areas

Thanks
  • edited 2014-01-03 15:27
    @Pridbor,

Sorry for the delayed reply. The existing 2.08.24 driver from www.parallax.com/usbdrivers should work correctly on Windows 8.1. We will update the web page. Also, the only drawback of getting a newer version of the driver from the FTDI site would be that it does not support the PropScope. All the rest of the Parallax boards should be compatible.

@Al_Green

Were you using an older computer and then switched to one with Windows 8.1?
  • kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3,623
    edited 2014-01-03 15:39
    The existing 2.08.24 driver from www.parallax.com/usbdrivers should work correctly on Windows 8.1.
    FWIW, I never had any issues with it (Vista/8/8.1).
    edited 2014-01-03 17:58
    No problem just a winter project :-)

I started loading all the Parallax SW on my win 8.1 Laptop when I saw the comment,
    and I do take direction :-) but what I feared was that it would render the USB
    connections for all my other uses, mem stick, phone etc, worthless as I imagined that
    there would be but one driver for the USB ports.

I then proceeded to my stationary older PC, which I have chosen not to upgrade to a more
    recent version of WIN but stay with XP which has served me fine.

I got everything up running on the XP based, but for a detail with the C IDE where I have an issue
    with the inclusion of the simple library: it stated that it can't find the LIB for the CMM mem model.
    Now I'm not quite there where I know too much about the various mem models so I'm a little at loss
    to know if this is correct behavior or if I need to set a mem model somewhere first.

Anyhow I will proceed to load the PCI driver as described and check it out.

Many thanks

Preben
    edited 2014-01-03 19:02
    Update, I loaded the driver as indicated and it all works! great!

Andy is there an example for he VGA display?

Thanks all

Preben
  • edited 2014-01-06 11:39
    There's currently an example here:

...Documents\SimpleIDE\Learn\Examples\Devices\Display\Hello VGA.side

There's an enhanced text version coming soon. Send me a PM if you want to test drive it.

Andy