Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Elev-8 copter motor replacement — Parallax Forums

Elev-8 copter motor replacement

Jim CoburnJim Coburn Posts: 9
edited 2014-01-01 07:12 in Robotics
Hi -
I crashed my copter late last fall and am only now getting around to fixing things. One of the motors had a bent shaft so I replaced it with one purchased from Parallax. I can successfully arm the copter - the LED goes from blinking green to solid green with no purple - but the motors don't turn, except for the once a second pulse and beep that it does before I start to arm. so, my question is: do I have to recalibrate the ESC for the replaced motor before it will engage?
I'm a relative newbie to the copter so I may be missing something in the sequence.
thanks.
Jim

Comments

• trangertranger Posts: 179
    edited 2014-01-01 07:12
    Hmmm, I wouldn't think the esc would know if you swapped motors. Also, only the repaired motor should be affected, not the other three. Sounds like an initialization issue.

To calibrate or test a single motor/esc, disconnect the flight controller from the receiver and esc's. Connect the throttle output of the receiver to the esc you are interested in. Remove the prop from the motor. Turn on xmitter and put throttle on full. Connect battery on quad (receiver needs to powered as well). Wait for the beep(s). Move throttle stick to off position, you'll get a beep(s). You should now be able to control the motor with the throttle.

I know that I have to turn on my radio with the throttle fully off before powering up the copter in order to arm.

BTW - you can replace the shaft to repair a motor as long as the bearings are not damaged.

Good Luck!