Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A Propeller-WebTool Framework for Compiled Languages? - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

A Propeller-WebTool Framework for Compiled Languages?

Comments

• Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2014-01-03 07:46
    I tried it on my Google Nexus 7 (2013 version). It loads and displays the page ok but nothing happens when you press compile button.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-01-03 07:47
    Don M wrote: »
    I tried it on my Google Nexus 7 (2013 version). It loads and displays the page ok but nothing happens when you press compile button.
    Wait a while. It might just take a long time the first time you press the "compile" button.
    edited 2014-01-03 07:51
    David Betz wrote: »
    Wait a while. It might just take a long time the first time you press the "compile" button.

I did wait a while as I figured that may be the case but still no go. I tried it on my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone using Chrome browser and it works quickly.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-01-03 07:51
    David,

That is probably a fault at my end if you are accessing that URL.

There is something very strange going on with my old AMD 64 box running Debian that is serving that up.

I have recently been getting huge lags doing anything, it's like something is hogging all the CPU or disc access but I can't see it anywhere (Must be the NSA in my machine right :) )

Anyway just now I totally stuffed it up by trying to run the memory profiler in Chrome's dev tools. Seems I don't have enough memory to do that !

Everything went stuck.
    edited 2014-01-03 07:59
    I checked the settings for Chrome on my tablet to make sure Javascript was enabled. It was. So I tried clearing the browser history and cache and that fixed it. Works fast.
    edited 2014-01-03 08:02
    Thanks guys. Most encouraging.

I'll try and drop the ACE text editor component in today.
    edited 2014-01-03 08:09
    I thought it might be worth mentioning here... I just received the other day an OTG USB cable that can be used on my tablet and phone. I can plug in a memory stick and it spawns a folder with which I can view / transfer files. So what I'm thinking is there may be a way for you to send out the byte codes via USB and thus connect to a Prop board with an FTDI chip on it? Essentially programming the Prop :-)
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-01-03 09:54
    Heater. wrote: »
    Having wrapped the compiler up like that it seems to run without leaks on my FireFox but still has the same problem in Chrome (On Debian).

It leaks in:

FireFox on Mint16.
    Chrome on Windows7.

It doesn't run in Internet Explorer. The openSpinCompile() function results in the assert at line 1028.
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2014-01-03 11:08
    Could you guys check out openspin_web_demo2 attached on some different browsers?

The issue I'm trying to fix here is that every time you hit the compile button a huge lot of memory was being leaked.

I found a solution that suggested wrapping the entire emscripten generated javascript in a function such that everything it creates in memory is destroyed when the function exits.

Having wrapped the compiler up like that it seems to run without leaks on my FireFox but still has the same problem in Chrome (On Debian).

It's also a bit slower because it recreates and tears down the entire run time of the compiler every time. Perhaps not to bad though.

1. Compiled several PE Kit Lab .spin sources on MacBook Prop (OS: Mavericks 10.9) FireFox, Chrome & Safari, with success. One of which created a 512 byte binary!
    2. Tried compiling PhiPi's basic_sio.spin, which contains PASM code. It fails with the following:
    preload time: 17 ms
    Propeller Spin/PASM Compiler 'OpenSpin' (c)2012-2013 Parallax Inc. DBA Parallax Semiconductor.
    Compiled on Jan  3 2014
    Compiling...
    test.spin
    test.spin(160:33) : error : Undefined symbol
    Line:
                  djnz      bitcnt,#:bitlp          'Back for next bit.
    Offending Item: :bitlp

Binary file = 

basic_sio.spin

This file compiles in openspin on the command-line...

dgately
    edited 2014-01-03 11:55
    Guys, I'm dead in the water. That PC I mentioned was behaving oddly has finally revealed it's problem.
    It was getting slower and slower and slower.
    Turns out the hard drive is having a real hard time reading it's disk. When I put my ear to it I can hear it reading and rereading over and over. I guess it tries hard to get something error free off of there. It just booted up correctly but that took half an hour !
    Never seen a machine in this state before.
    Looks like I will be installing some new drives and rebuilding my OS the way I like it for a while....
    edited 2014-01-03 12:04
    Jazzed,

Thanks for the feed back. That leaking is becomming a nice challenge:)
    It doesn't run in Internet Explorer
    Don't care. I don't work for MS and Windows users can always install something else for free if they want to play along.

Still, I will have a look at that assert, it may have clues for us.

dgately,

I notice errors like that very recently as well. Seems it does not like semi-colons or the quote used for comments.
    I suspect this is a char encoding issue somewhere.
    edited 2014-01-03 12:08
    Ouch.

Sorry your having trouble Heater. Good luck getting the next one up.

I've run all my Linux and other OS in Windows 7 + VirtualBox after having a similar crash 5 years ago. Works rather nicely so far.

Don't worrry Heater, we'll have a solution for Internet Exploder users.
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2014-01-03 12:10
    Was able to test the .html & .js on my HiSense Sero 7 Pro 7" Android tablet (running Android 4.2.1) as well. As with David's experience, it took a long time (30-60 seconds) for the initial compile, but is now taking 2-4 seconds to complete compiles.

Heater, good luck with your PC thrash... Hope it goes quickly!

dgately
    edited 2014-01-03 12:21
    Jazzed,

Yep, a virtual box solution is a great idea. Linux on Linux of course!

I already have a solution for Internet Exploder users, it's probably not socially acceptable though:)

I finally have an excuse for "her indoors" for investing in an SSD or perhaps a whole new machine tomorrow:)

Else I have to wait till next week when I can requisition a nice PC from work.
    edited 2014-01-03 12:47
    This drive thrashing is very weird.

It's thrashing like crazy even when it has nothing to do. So when I do actually want to do something it has no time for me and whatever it is can take forever. No errors anywhere though.

Never seen a drive get like this before.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-01-03 14:49
    heater wrote:
    Never seen a drive get like this before.
    Maybe it's a trojan and not a bad drive. Have you run a drive diagnostic?

-Phil
    edited 2014-01-03 15:01
    Might be a trojan. Last time I heard a drive thrashing endlessly like this was when somewone managed to start using my mail server for SPAMing.

Thing is it takes forever for the thing to get out of the BIOS and into the GRUB boot loader which then takes forever to load a Linux kernel, which then takes forever to start up. That would have to be some funky trojan, like in the drives controller. Which is not to say it's impossible.

I enabled SMART and ran a quick test. Never used it before so I have no idea what I'm looking at. Some of the numbers did not look good.

Oddly, Linux thinks everything is OK. It just takes a long time.

Just now I'm pulling my latest files off it for back up.

Any recomendations for SSDs ? I'm thinking some kind of Samsung 128GB for about a hundred Euros.
    edited 2014-01-03 15:03
    Might be a trojan. Last time I heard a drive thrashing endlessly like this was when somewone managed to start using my mail server for SPAMing.

Thing is it takes forever for the thing to get out of the BIOS and into the GRUB boot loader which then takes forever to load a Linux kernel, which then takes forever to start up. That would have to be some funky trojan, like in the drives controller. Which is not to say it's impossible.

I enabled SMART and ran a quick test. Never used it before so I have no idea what I'm looking at. Some of the numbers did not look good.

Oddly, Linux thinks everything is OK. It just takes a long time.

Just now I'm pulling my latest files off it for back up.

Any recomendations for SSDs ? I'm thinking some kind of Samsung 128GB for about a hundred Euros.
    I have a Samsung 512GB SSD in my MacBook Pro and it seems to work well.
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2014-01-03 15:08
    I haveacouple of samsung, and they are very good.
    Evo are probably a very good trade off. They are blazing fast even with windows...
    edited 2014-01-03 15:12
    OK thanks. Looks like Samsung it is. As big as "her indoors" will allow:)
    edited 2014-01-03 15:28
    OK thanks. Looks like Samsung it is. As big as "her indoors" will allow:)
    There's that phrase again: "her indoors". What does that mean? I can guess but I've never heard it put that way.
    edited 2014-01-03 15:51
    "Her in doors" = wife.

An expression made famous by the character Arthur Daley in the TV series "Minder".
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=her indoors

It's one of those beautiful Cockney London expressions. As such it should be pronounced " 'er in doors "

Funny thing was, Arthur was always having to work around the wishes of "her in doors" in his dodgy black market business machinations, but we never saw his wife.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,704
    edited 2014-01-03 19:08
    Somewhere In post #4 @Heater. asked about XMLhttprequests.

So I took PhilPhis EditSpin and modified it to fit my needs for easy use on the spinneret. So for easy deployment and to save precious sockets/requests on the Spinneret I included all css an js files into the html page. Then I moved the existing js start script into a body onload event removed the spin code and added a textbox plus load and save button.

Since it is all included in one htm page you ever can run it from your local file system. But here is the caveat. XHTTPrequest and Cross Origin access.

The rules there are quite simple:

Either the Editor.htm and the file you want to edit are on the same webserver/site, or the webserver hosting the files to edit has to allow cross origin requests.

So if you want to run the editor.htm from one website and edit files on another website then the other website has to allow you to do so.
    The Server will need to send one additional header with the file: Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
    The Server MAY need to add one header to the OPTIONS request: Access-Control-Allow-Methods: *
    Some Browser will send OPTION requests for the file other do not.

Anyways - the Editor uses GET requests for the load button and PUT requests for the save button. PUT is easier to handle on the spinneret side of things and changing that to POST is simple.

just open the attached txt file (to use rename to htm... can't upload htm) and scroll to the END of the file to see the code for bodyonload, load and save.

I try to get my Spinneret in the DMZ of the router to have it available from outside. If successful I will post the URL later.

If you put the Editor.htm on your own webserver/site you can edit all files on your site. To be able to save you need to allow PUT or write your own POST handler...

the basic code looks like this
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]var[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] editor;[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]function[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] btloadClick() {[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]var[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] result=[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]""[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]; [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]var[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] file=[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]""[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2];[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]try[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]    {         
     [/SIZE][SIZE=2]          file=document.getElementById([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]"filename"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]).value;[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]var[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] xhr = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]new[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] XMLHttpRequest();[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]          xhr.open( [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]'GET'[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2], file, [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]false[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] );[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]           xhr.send();
               editor.setValue(xhr.responseText)
               result=xhr.statusText;        
         }
     [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]catch[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2](e)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]     {
     [/SIZE][SIZE=2]        result=[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]"exception "[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] + e;[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]     }
     [/SIZE][SIZE=2]    alert([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]"load "[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] + file + [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]"\r\nResult: "[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] + result);[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]return[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]false[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2];[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2] }
      [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]function[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] btsaveClick() {[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]var[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] result=[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]""[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]; [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]var[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] file=[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]""[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2];[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]try[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]    {         
     [/SIZE][SIZE=2]          file=document.getElementById([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]"filename"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]).value;[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]var[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] xhr = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]new[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] XMLHttpRequest();[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]          xhr.open( [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]'PUT'[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2], file, [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]false[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] );[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]          xhr.setRequestHeader( [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]'Content-Type'[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2], [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]'text/plain'[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] );[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]           xhr.send(editor.getValue());
               result=xhr.statusText;        
         }
     [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]catch[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2](e)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]     {
     [/SIZE][SIZE=2]        result=[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]"exception "[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] + e;[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]     }
     [/SIZE][SIZE=2]    alert([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]"save "[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] + file + [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]"\r\nResult: "[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] + result);[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]return[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]false[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2];[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2] }
      [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]function[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] bodyonload() {[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]var[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] completeKeyword = spinInit();[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]    editor = CodeMirror.fromTextArea(document.getElementById([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]"code"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]), {[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]        mode: {name: [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]"spin"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2], singleLineStringErrors: [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]false[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]},[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]        lineNumbers: [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#020fc0]true[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2],[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]         indentUnit: 4,
     [/SIZE][SIZE=2]        tabMode: [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515][SIZE=2][COLOR=#a31515]"spin"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2],[/SIZE]

where filename is a html text box.

It should be possible to send requests to some node server or whatever, this may be @Heaters domain (again...)

But here we have a SPIN/PASM Editor with syntax-highlighting and auto-completion using CodeMirror2. It is possible to add this for C too.

Need to play with this more...

Enjoy!

Mike
    edited 2014-01-03 19:28
    msrobots wrote: »
    Somewhere In post #4 @Heater. asked about XMLhttprequests. ....

Sounds great! Thanks.

Yes, I anticipate starting to use the AJAX calls very soon now that I have some special parts. Looking for a special loader now :)
    edited 2014-01-04 01:30
    msrobots,

Nice editor.

There does not seem to be any way to cut/copy and paste in there.

Jazzed,

...some special parts...?

Do tell.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,704
    edited 2014-01-04 12:55
    msrobots,

Nice editor.

There does not seem to be any way to cut/copy and paste in there.

Hmm. Works for me. But I use this other Browser you do not use...

To use Jazzed compiler I MAY need to install another one anyways. Chrome maybe?

PhilPhi found this Editor called CodeMirror. www.codemirror.net He uses Version 2 and now there is a Version 3 out there.

Since JavaScript is not my prime language I opted for the easy way and just took PhilPhi's Source. He added support for SPIN/PASM already and I do not know yet if I can move that to Version3 without breaking it.

I just added the buttons to load and save and put all in one file for easier deployment. This editor can do way more as is used now. There is support for a lot of languages and even for folding the edited source-code.

Supporting PUT requests is usually disabled in webservers, but all of them are able to allow them. Even the Spinneret.

Enjoy!

Mike
    edited 2014-01-04 13:10
    OK that's odd.

I tried the editor in firefox on a windows XP box. When I hit Ctrl-C it inserted the text "case".
    Ctrl-v got me "var", Ctrl-p got me "par".

Now I tried it in IE on XP and it works as expected.

codeMirror looks pretty cool. Someone should submit the Spin mode there so that it is "offical".
    edited 2014-01-04 13:46
    @msrobots

Yes, supporting PUT requests can be enabled, one way or another :)

I wrote a simple python server, and added some code to the editor file you posted.

Next up? Terminal. Then special propeller boot-loader :)
    sh-3.1$ python server.py
    Reload Address
    http://localhost:8080/editor.html
    127.0.0.1 - - [04/Jan/2014 13:35:19] "GET /editor.html HTTP/1.1" 200 -
    127.0.0.1 - - [04/Jan/2014 13:35:29] "GET /test.spin HTTP/1.1" 200 -
    PUT
    ./test.spin
    The file exists. Overwriting.
    127.0.0.1 - - [04/Jan/2014 13:35:32] "PUT /test.spin HTTP/1.1" 200 -
    COMPILE
    Compiling file.
    Propeller Spin/PASM Compiler 'OpenSpin' (c)2012-2013 Parallax Inc. DBA Parallax Semiconductor.
    Compiled on Nov  7 2013
    Compiling...
    ./test.spin
    Done.
    Program size is 28 bytes
    127.0.0.1 - - [04/Jan/2014 13:35:35] "POST /test.spin HTTP/1.1" 200 -
    PROGRAM COM39
    ./test.binary
    Loading file.
    COM39
    Propeller Version 1 on COM39
    Loading ./test.binary to hub memory
    28 bytes sent
    Verifying RAM ... OK
    127.0.0.1 - - [04/Jan/2014 13:35:39] "POST /test.spin HTTP/1.1" 200 -

624 x 704 - 78K
    edited 2014-01-05 02:09
    So I bought that SSD. A Samsung 840 EVO, only 120GB.

Good grief does that make a difference. My old AMD 64 4000+ is flying! And it's dead quite now, very spooky.

Oddly it occurs to me this is the first time I have used a computer without rotating storage since about 1983 when we had a Compaq Grid with magnetic bubble memory in the office http://pc-freak.net/blog/tag/bubble-memory/

What worries me now is wearing the thing out. I think I'd like to move my swap partition, log files etc to a regular hard drive. Or do I worry too much?

Having been up the whole night rebuilding my OS and apps the way I like them and restoring backups I'm almost ready to get back to emscriptening.

Problem is I'm going to have to sleep all day and then it's back to work on Monday :(
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-01-05 14:40
    heater:
    Are there any tools for the SSD to find out how many writes have occurred or other statistics?
    I would presume there is some form of algorithm used for wear levelling like on SD cards.
    I also presume that the sw is smart enough to not rewrite is no changes have been done.
    BTW what did it cist?