Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IR Rmote Control to Boe Bot — Parallax Forums

IR Rmote Control to Boe Bot

smcstudentsmcstudent Posts: 1
edited 2013-12-26 07:22 in BASIC Stamp
I followed the instructions in the IR Remote for the Boe Bot and have successfully programmed a universal remote control to navigate the Boe Bot, however,
I was wondering, is it possible to program another other remote control to the Boe Bot? One that does not use the Sony TV protocol?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-12-25 11:53
    No. The various protocols are different and incompatible. Sony's is well documented and straightforward to decode with an IR detector and a Stamp.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-12-25 19:54
    If you want to solder up a 556 timer, you can use the simple method I used here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/130927-Low-Tech-IR-Remote

This is very different "encoding" than SIRC, but please note that you may get interference/overlap anytime you use two IR remotes simultaneously.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-12-26 07:06
    Is this a hardware or software issue?

My quick perusal of BS2 examples didn't turn up an IR remote example. I'm not sure if the SIRC decoding is part of the Stamps hardware (as I believe it is with the PicAxe) of if the SIRC is decoded using PULSIN and some software.

If it's a software issue, are other protocols not worth the bother since it's not hard to find a Sony compatible remote?

@smcstudent, I don't recall if I mentioned, in the PM, the existence of software in the object exchange "OBEX" which allows the Propeller to be taught to read pretty much any IR remote. While looking the link to the software I saw several other IR related objects.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-12-26 07:22
    Yes, it's a BS2 software routine. Works very well but only SIRC compatible. Requires full BS2 attention, so to drive a Boebot or such, you would need a Servopal or equivalent to keep moving while waiting for a new IR signal. Two simultaneous IR signals will temporarily interfere/block each other. But you could work around by using completely different codes for different robots. Robot A uses code 20 (mute) for forward; robot B never uses mute, but uses power code for forward, etc. IOW, no overlap in control code usage.

TTYTT, IR works so well that I use it a lot for simple apps. The world has gone Bluetooth, Nordic (Duane!) and Xbee crazy, but that is overkill in many cases. IR costs maybe $2 total for a sensor and dollar store universal remote. Cheap, instant magic.