Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Board of Education Shield switch — Parallax Forums

Board of Education Shield switch

stevealexstevealex Posts: 2
edited 2013-12-23 05:25 in Robotics
I'm working on the Parallax Board of Education Shield Robotics kit. I've got the chassis set up with the servos connected, along with an indicator LED for each of the servo output pins. Even when I've got the switch on the shield set to 0, (and power is only coming from the battery pack, USB not plugged in) the LEDs still light up (depending on the sketch I've loaded). I had assumed the breadboard would only get power if the switch was on 1 or 2. Is that wrong or is there something faulty about my shield?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-12-22 21:22
    How do you have the LEDs connected? The power LEDs on the Shield should behave as described in the documentation. If you have LEDs connected to the servo output pins, they're being powered by the Arduino's I/O pins, not the shield. If the power switch is in position 0 or 1, the servo motor should not be getting power, but the servo output pins might be high (+5V) depending on the sketch loaded into the Arduino.
  • stevealexstevealex Posts: 2
    edited 2013-12-23 05:25
    I see. Yes, the LEDs are connected to the servo output pins. I didn't realize I'd have to unplug the battery pack to prevent discharge. Thanks.

Steve