Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video streaming with XBEE Wi-FI — Parallax Forums

Video streaming with XBEE Wi-FI

alan_a3alan_a3 Posts: 1
edited 2013-12-20 21:17 in Accessories
I am a senior at UF. I'm making a wireless surveillance system for my Senior Design project. I want to thank whoever is reading this in advance for taking the time to go over it, I will be brief.

I wanna use a TTL camera. This will be transmitted wirelessly via XBEE (there will be two units, in different locations) to a receiving XBEE. The user can choose which camera to look at. The receiver will then connect to a computer via USB and the signal will be processed using OpenCV. I have been working on a Motion Tracker algorith already using OpenCV and it's very helpful and relativelyeasy to use.

Here's the rub; The signal coming out of the camera is a composite signal, which is analog. I can convert it to digital using a MicroP (Something like the TI TMS320C28x for instance, I like these) and then send it through the xbee wifi, which I understand can send up to 72Mbps, so the receiver (another xbee wifi) would have no problem receiving and transmitting about 7-10 FPS to the computer. Now all of this sounds nice and good but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me a little more about this xbee wi-fi and if what I'm thinking I can do, can actually be done. Thank you very much for reading and I appreciate any info on this.

Here's the data sheet if you're interested in taking a look:
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90002180_G.pdf

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-12-20 21:17
    I am sure someone will chime in and tell me if I am wrong but I do not think the XBee is going to Xmt/Rcv video at 7-10 FPS. I could be wrong but I think it will be more like 2-3 FPS. Is the XBee your only option?