Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any ideas for 3 DOF leg for old school Hexcrawler — Parallax Forums

Any ideas for 3 DOF leg for old school Hexcrawler

KotobukiKotobuki Posts: 82
edited 2014-02-14 11:38 in Robotics
Hi,

I just purchased an old school Hexcrawler from Crustcrawler with the 2 DOF legs. I am interested in upgrading to 3 DOF legs, but they do not sell the HDATS legs any more. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about a 3 DOF leg system for this 'bot that would not require me to do machine work?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Joe

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-12-19 14:13
    Got a pic or video?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-12-19 14:35
    I agree with erco, it would be nice to know what the robot looks like and what sort of legs you want to modify. Does it use normal hobby servos?

It's certainly possible to build a hexapod with doing any machine work.

Wood and plastic can be formed into all sorts of shapes with a few hand tools.
  • KotobukiKotobuki Posts: 82
    edited 2013-12-20 06:30
    erco wrote: »
    Got a pic or video?

Here is a Youtube video of what I have purchased. This is not mine, but it is the same robot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWDcU49ikjQ

Hope this helps.

Best,

Joe
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-12-20 08:42
    Kotobuki wrote: »
    Here is a Youtube video of what I have purchased. This is not mine, but it is the same robot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWDcU49ikjQ

Hope this helps.

Best,

Joe

Hey that's a video by DoggieDoc. He's a member of the forum.

That's an interesting robot. The linkages look like thy compensate a lot for it only have 2 dof per leg. I have no idea how you'd modify the leg to make it a 3 dof leg while preserving the linkages. Most of the 3 dof legs I've seen have very simple linkages link my Popsicle stick robot and my small hexapod.

BTW, I noticed in your other thread you mentioned your intention of learning to use the Propeller. I think the Prop makes a great robot controller. I use the Propeller in all my robot projects and DoggieDoc used a Propeller to control the robot seen in the YouTube video.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2014-02-13 16:02
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Hey that's a video by DoggieDoc. He's a member of the forum..... I use the Propeller in all my robot projects and DoggieDoc used a Propeller to control the robot seen in the YouTube video.
    I almost forgot about doing that video! I used the MSR1 board from the Stingray robot for that. I think the MRS1 is EOL now, but there's no reason just about any propeller board wouldn't do.
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2014-02-14 10:47
    Tis spider is another unfinished project of mine

attachment.php?attachmentid=106909&d=1392402980

I have made a scethup model of this robot which every leg consisted from3 aluminum parts and uses 2 servos.

I have also build this robot and I have made some tests using a basic stamp board.

attachment.php?attachmentid=106911&d=1392403215

If anyone interesting in for this I can give the drawings and other information.
    However I haven't done lot of tests with this.....
    1024 x 811 - 57K
    960 x 720 - 64K
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-02-14 11:38
    A most excellent project, and now we see the face of Nikos the Great! :)