Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ELEV-8 Guard Test - Snowbank — Parallax Forums

ELEV-8 Guard Test - Snowbank

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2013-12-16 16:44 in Robotics
Hey there,

My dad Chuck recently built an ELEV-8 to test some propeller guards he designed from thick gauge wire. Today I flew the ELEV-8 but unfortunately I didn't check the battery before I took to the air. The ELEV-8 landed softly in a snowbank:

photo 1.jpg

Picked it up, returned to home base and changed out the battery:

photo 2.jpg

Called Carolyn out of the office and asked her to get a quick video. The propeller guards have potential, though also introduce some vibration of their own.

Chuck will take a look tomorrow and probably make a few design revisions. Nick or I will probably have the responsibility of flying this pretty ELEV-8 into a wall to see if the propeller guards do their job, too.

Ken Gracey
1024 x 768 - 47K
1024 x 768 - 108K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-12-16 15:34
    First ELEV-8 Snow Angel! :) Snow, who knew? It was 80 degrees and sunny here in LA when I ran shirtless at the beach today. :):)

Excellent idea on the prop guards, I'm sure those will prevent a few injuries and save some propellers.

Merry Christmas to Ken, Chip, Chuck and all the fabulous Parallax family!
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-12-16 15:41
    Dang it! Erco beat me to the snow angel wisecrack!

Great idea for blade guards! Different materials? Dampners? Electronic harmonic induction wave inverters? Bubble gum?
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2013-12-16 16:44
    Looks like you're well on your way. I see Phantom is making them out of plastic and I think that helps with vibration.

I've always wondered if ducted fans would work okay on a multicopter. I'm guessing they aren't responsive as a prop but I'd love to try it.