Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone use the S2 Scribbler robot? — Parallax Forums

Anyone use the S2 Scribbler robot?

hapaluahapalua Posts: 149
edited 2013-12-16 09:32 in Robotics
I know it uses the Propeller chip as does the Acitivity Bot. I was wondering which robot I should purchase the S2 Scribbler robot or the Activity Bot!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-12-14 14:04
    I would get the ActivityBot if you're interested in learning about microcontrollers. The S2 has a Propeller, DC motors with encoders, IR obstacle detectors. The ActivityBot has a Propeller, high speed servo motors with encoders and IR obstacle detectors ... very similar. The ActivityBot has a PING, SD card socket, provisions for wireless control with xBee, and is designed to do experiments with the hardware. There is a "hacker port" on the S2, but it's not easy to use, so it's difficult to add hardware to it.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-12-14 14:07
    A lot depends upon your objectives and budget. The S2 is a somewhat closed system that comes pre-assembled and can be programmed either with the S2 GUI (blocks-like) or with Spin, both in conjunciton with the S2.spin object. Although it's possible to program the S2 in C, there are not (yet) any C libraries for the S2. The ActivityBot is a much more open system that requires assembly and can be programmed in Spin or C. (Most of the available low-level drivers are C only at this point.) Costwise, the S2 is about half the price of the ActivityBot.

Are you looking for a robot for yourself or as a gift? If the latter, for what age?

-Phil
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-12-14 14:11
    There was a thread a while ago which discussed a bunch of robot options. You might want to take a look at it. Let's see if I can find the link. . . Oh, here it is. I particularly like the reply in post #7. The poster even provides links to information about the S2.

And while the ActivityBot wasn't around when the above mention thread was started, there's a lot of information about using a Propeller with a BOE-bot chassis which applies to your current question.
  • hapaluahapalua Posts: 149
    edited 2013-12-14 14:26
    Oh its for myself. I am 34 by the way. =)
    edited 2013-12-14 14:45
    Hey Duane I looked at your S2 project it looked pretty cool. I could go for either the Activity bot or Scribbler now i guess.... I really want something that will bring INSTANT fun! haha.
    I am halfway through the Boe Bot kit book its okay but I like more action than text book fun. Whatever I hope you guys get what I am saying....

Luke
    edited 2013-12-14 15:22
    But then again I would like to add a camera for visual processing purposes . So maybe I would have to go with the Activity Bot.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-12-15 17:57
    IMO, You would learn a lot more and have more room for expansion with an Activity Bot.
    edited 2013-12-16 03:12
    I just learned that they have an Activity Board not robot as well for 49 dollars. I already own a Boe Bot so if I wanted an Activity Bot i could just transfer the new board to my original Boe Bot.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-12-16 03:38
    Yes, you could start the conversion with an a yivity board. The activitybot also has the wheel encoders and high-speed servos so you would need to add those if you wanted a true activitybot. The board would be a good statt, though!
  • Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2013-12-16 09:32
    If you have a Boe-Bot and are interested in upgrading it to an ActivityBot, I suggest you take a look at this neat little reference page: http://learn.parallax.com/reference/upgrading-activitybot. It was created specifically for people like you who might want to upgrade their existing robot rather than purchase an entirely new one.

I hope it helps!