Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Could you build a robot from components from your local Walmart? — Parallax Forums

Could you build a robot from components from your local Walmart?

Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
edited 2013-12-17 11:43 in Robotics
This question came up recently in a discussion with fellow engineers...and yes beers were present at the discussion.

Some aspects of this are straight forward simple...others raise issues difficult to work around.

So if in a futuristic end of the world with zombies knocking at your door where you are confined to a Walmart store and need to build a working robot, could you? ;<)

Comments

• tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2013-12-13 18:27
    I wanted to create a shopping list do that (Kmart/dollar store) a year ago.
    I thought of using a cutting board as the base, preferable with two handle holes where the wheels will protrude up.
    And use two 6v power screwdrivers for each wheel, they have very nice built-in gear reduction.
    Use two led book clip lights From Dollar store as eyes
    That is how far I got.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-12-14 07:53
    The hard part would be giving it any brains (same problem as Zombies!) - you would have plenty of laptops to pick from but no microcontrollers and no "glue" components - not even USB to serial cables. Any of the electronics are consumer type, so you would be restricted to very small surface mount components as you tried to piece things together.

I think the important take away from this exercise is to always carry AT LEAST one QuickStart board/USB cable/memory stick with PropTool with you in your Zombie Apocalypse Emergency kit.

This of course leads to a fun and profitable marketing campaign for Parallax - QuickStart Zombie Apocalypse kits and a series of projects based on making things with products from you local Walmart. I'm seeing a BIG win-win here!! Heck with Radio Shack....Walmart is MONEY!! (I'm assuming some Walmart customers are even smart enough to program a Propeller since I shop there)

I know Jessica and the guys at Tymkrs should be ALL OVER this project!
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-12-14 08:01
    You'd probably have to raid the toy section for things like motors and remote controlled vehicles, but there's no reason you couldn't build a robot out of parts just from a major department store. And this is not even using construction sets like LEGO and Erector. This doesn't mean a less expensive robot, though. It's cheaper to buy CdS or phototransistors cells surplus mail order than pull them out of light activated electrical sockets.

The dollar stores used to have a good cache for building bots, but after the imported toy scare of the 2000s, what they carry now is pretty dismal -- fake crooked teeth, poorly sewn clothes for dolls, that sort of stuff. The good toys they were diverting as overstock from Chinese factories had too much lead in them, or something. I used to buy these things for the motors and wheels. Some where even wired with remotes. Those kind of toys are not extraordinarily rare.
  • Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
    edited 2013-12-15 16:34
    LOL...apparently from the lack of response we are getting from the question it would seem that the zombies will be eating well this season. ;<)

From the comments we are getting (thanks for them), you are touching on some of the same challenges we came up with.

It's not that easy...whether it's zombies or the Christmas shopping rush...building a robot from from material at hand even in a major retail store is not simple.
    edited 2013-12-15 16:44
    LOL...apparently from the lack of response we are getting from the question it would seem that the zombies will be eating well this season. ;<)

From the comments we are getting (thanks for them), you are touching on some of the same challenges we came up with.

It's not that easy...whether it's zombies or the Christmas shopping rush...building a robot from from material at hand even in a major retail store is not simple.

That's why EVERY smart person NEEDS a QuickStart Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit!! Jessica? Ken? Somebody?? The human race needs you!!!
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-12-15 18:22

Design Criteria is needed here...
    Barbies Jeep can easily carry a pack, but.. what are you packing??

There are at least a dozen "Robots" in the toy isle, what do you need the "Robot" to do for you? :smile::smile:

And +1 for the Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit!!, except maybe use the Activity Board...

-Tommy
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-12-15 18:24

Why isn't it simple? Most Targets and Walmarts already sell walking robot toys. How hard is it to hack one of those? And they all sell LEGO sets up the wazoo.

I disagree and think it's pitifully easy to build a walking or rolling bot from parts from Walmart. But as I said, it's not cost effective. You wouldn't go to IKEA to buy fire wood, even though they sell a lot of wood based products there.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-12-15 19:48
    You wouldn't go to IKEA to buy fire wood, even though they sell a lot of wood based products there.

I understand your point and concur, but I recently experienced an IKEA situation with wood materials that I could hardly understand. IKEA sells 1x10 pine shelving, kiln-dried and lacquer-finished for less that I can buy the raw materials for at a large lumber retailer.

Now I gotta wonder if some of those wood products are cheaper than firewood!

Ken Gracey
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-12-15 20:41
    Ken Gracey wrote:
    Now I gotta wonder if some of those wood products are cheaper than firewood!
    Maybe, but I would not want to be anywhere near the fumes while they're burning.

As an extreme example, however, I would definitely not buy firewood at EdenSaw! Still, though, ebony might provide a lot of heat per board foot!

-Phil
    edited 2013-12-15 20:58
    Maybe, but I would not want to be anywhere near the fumes while they're burning.

As an extreme example, however, I would definitely not buy firewood at EdenSaw! Still, though, ebony might provide a lot of heat per board foot!

-Phil

One year, we got a load of firewood that was oak, cherry and maple...it burned well and I have to confess, several pieces of the maple and cherry ended up in the wood shop, saved due to interesting figuring or in the case of the maple some nice spalting.

Of course, none of that would help with my zombieBot built with parts from my Parallax Quickstart Zombie Apocalypse Survival kit!!!
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-12-16 15:43
    Wal Mart or Super Wal Mart???? As long as I have food and Caffeine (preferably in coffee form but anything works) I could have a hay day, starting in the Auto section and workning my way through the Toys and Electronics section. Along with a Wi Fi connection to download MSRS I think one could make some pretty amazing bots from a Wal Mart.
  • Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
    edited 2013-12-17 11:43
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Wal Mart or Super Wal Mart???? As long as I have food and Caffeine (preferably in coffee form but anything works) I could have a hay day, starting in the Auto section and workning my way through the Toys and Electronics section. Along with a Wi Fi connection to download MSRS I think one could make some pretty amazing bots from a Wal Mart.

Food and caffeine...that what's the zombies said too. ;<)